1 2 3
Ranger50
Ranger50 Reader
12/15/10 4:04 p.m.
AquaHusky wrote: I looked at my 95 Grand Am and thought about a RWD conversion myself. But I won't do it. I don't have the tools needed.

So go buy some.

They really aren't that hard to convert either. I prefer the F-body style torque arm rear suspension, as it doesn't require upper control arms. Lower arms are easy as they are already there from the old suspension. The front is just as easy with a possible side to side spindle swap and just have to make some new rack mounts.... Or just buy all the pieces from someone like FJ Smith or B&B Race Cars.

Brian

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
12/15/10 4:37 p.m.
pres589 wrote: In reply to 93celicaGT2: I thought about the exact same thing with my 626. I wonder if a wrecked or dead motor RX-7 would provide a high percentage of the needed part. Gut the trunk, pull the gas tank, cut out the floor. Slice up RX and start tying parts into the back to get things hung then build up a bit of a cage to pass stress into the body shell. At the front, some B2200 motor mounts would probably help progress, and then I'm not sure what happens with things like the oil pan and you're going to have to figure out the dizzy & intake manifold inlet issues. I also wonder about clearance between a drive shaft and the floor, the tunnel in those cars gets pretty small by the time it's at the back seats. Could be a very cheap project though if the right cars were found, a Turbo II RX-7 with a dead engine should be really cheap and an MX-6 or 626 with a busted transmission would be a give-away. And both of these things have happened with some regularity over the years so I'm sure the cars are out there, they just need to be found.

you both do know that there was an awd, 4ws version of the 626/mx6 in japan, right? so there is enough space to run a propshaft, the exhaust, and the rear steer shaft through that tunnel along with the trans linkage bits too. also re: the 929, there was a year, 89 i think, where it was available with the F2 and a manual trans, but they're unicorns. there was a guy that did a f2 b2200 to f2t conversion, but it was a custom lowrider and he had to cut an access panel in the firewall to adjust the timing from inside the cabin.

then there was the guy that finally finished the MR conversion on an integra, but i remember hearing that it was an ill-handling handful due to the weight balance.

coll9947
coll9947 New Reader
12/15/10 6:07 p.m.

A looooong time ago Honda Tuning was putting an NSX engine in the back of an EF hatch. As well as an AWD Integra using CRV parts. Projects never went to completion, made me a sad panda. Although I do believe they did get the Integra working, just not well, and things broke a lot.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/15/10 7:47 p.m.

Not really what was asked, but I can't stop thinking about a '27 Track T fiberglass body with one of my endless g13b's longitudinal/mid in there. Same thing with a Karmann Ghia. Also, the Swift Gti would be awesome in a mid configuration if the tranny weren't made of glass. (hence the longitudinal dreams. Just enough to hold 200 or so turboed HP.) The Corvair is begging even more for the mid deal with the advent of the LSx phenomenon. Saab sonnett II -what a great looking body (in an almost Lancia way) that just needs MORE. Mid, Front, I don't care, just big wheels and tires pushed out to the corners with some Flares.

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey HalfDork
12/15/10 8:13 p.m.

If I can get access to a shop I'd love to combine one of these

with the transmission/rear suspension out of one of these

and this engine

Tau V8, btw.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
drmAagm1f80R3fASsToclikR1FMKL8mIxxVtrd4imfBIGkQ8xABdHQ0glVD4GyOh