1 2
03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/30/23 11:58 a.m.

In reply to SV reX :

I can't help on the floors. But craftsman was brought in when a VP that helped put sears out of business (not his first) became a VP of Lowe's. Modern Craftsman has cheapened Lowe's, sadly. 
OK, back to learnin' bout floors. 

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/30/23 12:21 p.m.
SV reX said:

There's a reason the decks of aircraft carriers are coated with epoxy.

Yep. 'Cause the bare steel would rust. And probably be quite slippery. 
Don't think polished concrete would work well either. surprise

Agreed 100% on you ranking though: commercial epoxy > polished concrete > diy epoxy from the box store. 

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/30/23 12:25 p.m.

In reply to triumph7 :

My thoughts went to that when I could not afford to seal or coat mine. Never did find out how thick that needs to be. Any I ever saw were untreated (and WELL aged) oak. Treated pine is kinda soft. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
11/30/23 12:53 p.m.

Since this has been bumped, I'll just say that I did everything I could to do an excellent prep and application job using a residential epoxy, and was deeply disappointed. 

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/30/23 12:56 p.m.

Silly me... been gone a bit, and forgot to look at dates blush

glad it resurfaced... I'm sure I ain't the only one interested in the feedback. 

jonnyd330
jonnyd330 Reader
11/30/23 7:21 p.m.

So... should I just pay someone to do a fancy metallic floor? 

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/30/23 8:10 p.m.

Part of my shop is a blue/grey with white/black flakes and I HATE IT! It was there when I bought the building, so it will stay for now. As mentioned before, it's hard to find dropped nuts/bolts/washers and other little bits. 

In the other garage section, it received a nice coating of light grey Sherwin Williams concrete stain/paint and that part is nice to work in. Dropping things is no comparison to the other side.

The good:

The bad:

lownslow
lownslow GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/30/23 8:25 p.m.

I used Garage Flooring of Colorado stuff. No color, just the hardener and sealer.

Some rain blew in through an open door and 3 days later,  it was still bubbled up on the concrete. 

Nockenwelle
Nockenwelle Reader
11/30/23 11:03 p.m.

I prefer polished concrete for a fresh pour. Doesn't even have to be abrasive-polished, just the rotary blade type polish, but you only get one chance at that.

I did coat the garage floor in my new place, mostly because the 30-year-old concrete was TRASHED by age, salt, and a fire. The largest missing chunks were the size of my shoe. DIY'd it using pro-grade materials from PPG, 2-part epoxy base coat and 2-part polyurethane top coat. It took several days of mostly prep work, but great results. Cost wasn't terrible, about $3k for a 4-car garage.

Only thing I don't like is the coated floor is quite slick when wet, and downright lethal when one has ice/snow on shoes. Seriously like ice skating.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
12/1/23 9:40 a.m.

In reply to Nockenwelle :

How long do you have to wait before sealing a fresh pour?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Y83Xf9V7ZeEe6plUyKhjDJYh5vF4o5eeGXHJ8LXxnbvdB6J8jZxAzeXJ77etmdKM