1 2 3 4 5
T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
4/10/14 9:50 a.m.

That Europa would look a lot better on period correct sized wheels.

Dashpot
Dashpot Reader
4/10/14 10:02 a.m.

In reply to tuna55:

There was an underside shot on the same Europa board, The CV joint angles looked pretty tweaked with the car at their chosen ride height. Goes to show they had a lot of compromises to fit that Porsche transaxle in there. Keeping reasonable gearing (P car OEM-ish tire diameter) is probably the real reason for the big wheels too.

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
4/10/14 12:30 p.m.
T.J. wrote: I used to watch Boyd's show and it always made we wonder why anyone would pay him to build a car. The show made the entire operation seem like a terrible place to work and most of the workers hated the car they were working on. It was very strange that someone would allow themselves to be the basis of a show whose only purpose was to show that you were an ass and not a nice person and that your workers hated the work they were doing. It was the opposite of an infomercial. I realize that reality TV is not reality, but that show was stupid and either shows that Boyd was clueless, desperate for money, or an utter egomaniacal psychopath.

I wonder the same thing about that Graveyard Cars show. I'd never leave one of my cars at that shop after seeing just one episode of that show.

Chip seems like a pretty genuine guy who I'd really like to work for or with, not that the opportunity would ever present its self.

The show has become quite a bit better without all the stupid pranks and more focus on the actual work being done. I think, despite being a bit predictable with paint, the cars come out really classy. I would like to see a few non muscle cars but I suspect that's his bread and butter. There's also the California regulations to deal with since the cars are mostly pre '75 it makes the parts easier.

olpro
olpro New Reader
4/10/14 2:43 p.m.

Foose is NOT a car designer. He is a car customizer, which is fine but just not the same thing. I think I met him years ago when he was working at ASC, an Art Center guy who couldn't get an OEM job offer like many of his classmates. At least he got employed in one of the multitude of supplier shops. Customizing cars, like Barris, Boyd, and all the other customizers, is on the way-low end of the design spectrum. There are tons of talented designers who DO get OEM jobs and can design rings around these guys. Whether or not someone is a nice guy, honest, etc. is a totally separate thing. On that I am sure he is stellar.

plance1 wrote: There is no nicer guy in the world but for the love of god, can you be a car designer and not slap stripes on everything you do? I mean every car! I have to give him a pass on this olds 442 on the latest show since the "insiders" called for stripes. But every time I turn on the show even my wife says "I bet it will have all kinds of stripes all over it" lol.
Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/10/14 2:58 p.m.
olpro wrote: Foose is NOT a car designer. He is a car customizer, which is fine but just not the same thing.

I beg to differ----- http://www.chipfoose.com/ws_display.asp?filter=Hemisfear

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
4/10/14 3:00 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to spitfirebill: Uh, Boyd's dead dude.

I know that.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
4/10/14 3:02 p.m.
bravenrace wrote:
olpro wrote: Foose is a predictable dufus without a single original idea. He is a genius at self promotion, which is nice for him ($$)
That's obviously why everyone else copies him.

And why he has won so many Ridler awards.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
4/10/14 3:03 p.m.
novaderrik wrote:
Joe Gearin wrote: Chip Foose is the real deal. I've been lucky enough to run into him many times at shows / events / etc, he's always been a nice guy and a class act. He's been in the automotive industry his entire life, and hasn't burnt bridges---- everyone seems to like and respect him. Well....everyone who has met him and has seen his work at least-- those are the opinions I value. I do wish they'd put something other than 20" wheels on the cars they "Overhaul", but it's T.V., and most folks like the gianormous wheels these days. At least the lucky recipient can change wheels easily--- the rest of the work they do seems pretty legit, and well done.
he burnt at least one bridge- Boyd wasn't too impressed when Chip got sick of working for him and struck out on his own, taking a good chunk of his clientele over the years..

I would say Boyd burned that bridge, not Chip.

olpro
olpro New Reader
4/10/14 3:05 p.m.

His website, Ridler awards? You guys are proving my point. Thanks

Joe Gearin
4/10/14 3:32 p.m.

^^^

Because something is on his website it has no validity? I've seen the Hemisfear in person, and it's an amazing creation. It is a unique machine that Chip designed. It isn't a customized version of something else. I'm not saying there aren't other talented designers out there, but Chip deserves credit for what he's done.

Not quite sure what your point is......

olpro
olpro New Reader
4/10/14 3:36 p.m.

Not a customized version of something else? You have got to be kidding. It is a exaggerated distorted hotrod version of just about every other hot rod I have ever seen. Stretched out yes, but not an original idea on the whole damn thing. That's what my entire point is about Foose, and the rest of the customizer "community". These guys couldn't make it for a week in a real design studio.

Joe Gearin
4/10/14 3:53 p.m.

^^^ you are certainly entitled to your opinion. Welcome to the board, we all have opinions here.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
4/10/14 4:01 p.m.

I just had a thought about Chip Foose working as part of the team who 'designed' the Aztek (or feel free to substitute many other production cars that seem to have been designed by the stupid for the uncaring) and him getting fired because he was not up to speed and just couldn't make it.

olpro
olpro New Reader
4/10/14 5:11 p.m.

The Aztek, along with other failures, is not a proud chapter for automotive design. I have spoken to some old friends who were around during that time at GM Design Staff – an interesting story about the company’s design management.

Nonetheless, are you sure you really want to engage in an ugly car comparison between OEM studios and the customizers?

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
4/10/14 6:16 p.m.

I find it interesting that one of the strong points of Chip's work is improving on OEM designs.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
4/10/14 7:01 p.m.
olpro wrote: Foose is NOT a car designer. He is a car customizer, which is fine but just not the same thing. I think I met him years ago when he was working at ASC, an Art Center guy who couldn't get an OEM job offer like many of his classmates.

Some folks just aren't cut out to design boring slabs of grey...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/10/14 7:28 p.m.
olpro wrote: Not a customized version of something else? You have got to be kidding. It is a exaggerated distorted hotrod version of just about every other hot rod I have ever seen. Stretched out yes, but not an original idea on the whole damn thing. That's what my entire point is about Foose, and the rest of the customizer "community". These guys couldn't make it for a week in a real design studio.

Riiiiiiggghht....

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
4/10/14 8:00 p.m.

In reply to olpro:

I do not wish to engage in an ugly car comparison of any type. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and there is no accounting for taste. So, whatever activity we engaged in would only be a comparison of opinions and there is nothing to be learned there. We already both know that different people have different tastes in cars.

ls1fiero
ls1fiero Reader
4/10/14 8:07 p.m.

I met him once and he could not have been nicer. This with hundreds of people in line to meet him. As for his work show me another builder designer that can do it all like he does. I am a fan. This guy is wildly talented and skilled. Moreso he is a car guy like us. Stop with the hatin.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
4/11/14 5:43 a.m.
The0retical wrote:
T.J. wrote: I used to watch Boyd's show and it always made we wonder why anyone would pay him to build a car. The show made the entire operation seem like a terrible place to work and most of the workers hated the car they were working on. It was very strange that someone would allow themselves to be the basis of a show whose only purpose was to show that you were an ass and not a nice person and that your workers hated the work they were doing. It was the opposite of an infomercial. I realize that reality TV is not reality, but that show was stupid and either shows that Boyd was clueless, desperate for money, or an utter egomaniacal psychopath.
I wonder the same thing about that Graveyard Cars show. I'd never leave one of my cars at that shop after seeing just one episode of that show.

I'll stand up for Mark Worman and Graveyard Carz as I've done a complete 180 about that show having done due diligence about it. The first few episodes I watched did make me want to gouge my eyes out with a dull screwdriver, but I thought there was something more to it. The truth is, Mark wanted to do a proper restoration show but, after shooting the pilot, the network wouldn't buy it. They told him to come back with a show that was more like, well, every other damn build show out there. He chose to give them what they wanted, hoping he could slowly turn it into what HE wanted. If you compare seasons 1 and 3, it's improved drastically. I've also grown to enjoy his brand of car buddy insulting ("pig eared dolphin" is my favorite) because I have friends that are like that. It's now like hanging out with a bunch of my own pals. If you can get past that scripted nonsense that TV demands of all these shows, GC actually does some incredible work. Mark's knowledge of Mopars and attention to detail is pretty amazing, and I've learned a lot from the show. The digressions about pumpkins and Royal's Jeep no longer bother me.

olpro
olpro New Reader
4/11/14 10:33 a.m.

real talent

www.facebook.com/simkomdotcom

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
4/11/14 10:42 a.m.
olpro wrote: Not a customized version of something else? You have got to be kidding. It is a exaggerated distorted hotrod version of just about every other hot rod I have ever seen. Stretched out yes, but not an original idea on the whole damn thing. That's what my entire point is about Foose, and the rest of the customizer "community". These guys couldn't make it for a week in a real design studio.

I thought about saying something to respond, then realized that I could get banned for it.

Suffice it to say, just because you have an opinion doesn't mean that it's got any validity. And an insulting opinion doesn't deserve any respect. So STFU and GTFO.

Box_of_Rocks
Box_of_Rocks New Reader
4/11/14 10:47 a.m.

Chip is a pretty down to earth, friendly guy. Met him a few years back at the Detroit Autorama. He came over and introduced himself (!!!) to me and my buddy who was showing a car. Chip spent time asking about the car, looking it over, and complementing things he liked about it. He definitely did not act like a "celebrity" but more like a genuine car guy.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
4/11/14 10:49 a.m.
olpro wrote: real talent www.facebook.com/simkomdotcom

You just sound like someone with a "Chip" on his shoulder. You're not convincing anyone the way you're going about it.
BTW, my son attended the College Of Creative Studies, and I saw many, many kids there that could do what that buy on the FB page does. That guy has talent, but he's not unique in any way, and frankly, his stuff looks just like everyone elses. In my mind, that doesn't take anything away from this guy just like it doesn't take anything away from Chip.

AverageH
AverageH Reader
4/11/14 10:50 a.m.

In reply to olpro:

Those all look like the same ol' concept car drawings we've been seeing for years with chunky looking dubs. Boring as can be.

-Hamid

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ssM4HrZubqMOB7CQXGGjyT7eSbelitMOeAPNNCMjcnd0653SIOkUWxgFj7HXEs3Z