1 2
RoughandReady
RoughandReady HalfDork
8/1/14 7:10 p.m.

So, the Girlfriend isn't as nearly wowed by vintage 80s iron as I am (nor does she share my love of tractor engines). She's tired of driving the 190e (frankly, I'm tired of fixing it), and she wants a new car.

My first thought was, "toyotacamrytoyotacamrytoyotacamry." I'm not getting off that easy though. The econoboxes that I love so much for their rugged simplicity are just too boring, she wants "to love her next car." She's leaning euro, and I'm dreading that. I'm sick of high parts costs and slim availability. I'm rooting for a Volvo 240 wagon (yay! live axle), but I don't think she's taking the bait. She's in love with a 1993 BMW 525i wagon.

Here's my main problem: Everywhere I look I see problems. German stuff is expensive and overcomplicated. Volvo whiteblock cars aren't reliable. American stuff is a just plain "NO." I see unreliability, expense, and over-everywhere. Am I just too jaded? I think a car should have an engine, transmission, brakes, and suspension. Optional 5 speed or an optional 5 speed. FM radio and radial tires if you're feeling frisky. I am just too jaded.

Anyway, requirements are your usually fair. Comfort, cool factor, cargo space, reliability are her high points. Parts cost, ease of repair, and simplicity are my high points.

Caraddict
Caraddict New Reader
8/1/14 8:03 p.m.

Lexus with some nice rims maybe.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Dork
8/1/14 8:11 p.m.

Find a good deal on a leftover Fiat 500?

old_
old_ Reader
8/1/14 8:14 p.m.

Lexus LS or GS

Lancer007
Lancer007 HalfDork
8/1/14 8:43 p.m.

Second the fiat 500 or perhaps a Lexus IS of any vintage. If she likes a BMW wagon then see what she thinks of the IS300 wagon.

lnlds
lnlds Reader
8/1/14 8:56 p.m.
Lancer007 wrote: Second the fiat 500 or perhaps a Lexus IS of any vintage. If she likes a BMW wagon then see what she thinks of the IS300 wagon.

+1 on the IS300 wagon, it seems to tick all the boxes but may be priced higher than the other options he mentioned.

How about the Saab 9-2x (impreza in a suit)?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
8/1/14 9:04 p.m.

The cheapest lease that you can find in a Focus/Camry/Fiat 500

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
8/1/14 9:05 p.m.
RoughandReady wrote: She's in love with a 1993 BMW 525i wagon. Here's my main problem: Everywhere I look I see problems. German stuff is expensive and overcomplicated...

Could be a lot worse. German cars are built in a way that makes sense even if it is not always common sense, a weird combination of "Why don't they build it the way everyone else does?" and "Why doesn't everyone build it the way they do?" As long as it has a stick shift, a '93 525 isn't that complicated (and the automatic is a plain GM part, but their "lifetime" fluid changes have a different idea of what should be a lifetime than I do). Just take care of the cooling system, make sure anything rubber is in good shape, and get one the previous owner took care of.

I drive a 328 with a similar drivetrain every day; the only really excessively complicated thing on that car is the convertible top mechanism. Well, and the starter location worked perfectly on a Dodge Dart, but with the BMW's thinner engine compartment and more complicated intake is an absolute bear to change. Don't put a cheap parts store rebuilt starter in one of these cars, ever!

Parts are a bit more expensive than a Honda or Ford, but not excessively so, more like 20-30% for most items.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady HalfDork
8/1/14 9:48 p.m.

Should have mentioned. Budget is like 2200 max, no lease.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 HalfDork
8/1/14 9:53 p.m.

Depending on your state, you may not have to worry about emissions and safety testing if she wants a pre-96 525i. Just make sure she test drives several cars, because liking the exterior styling is not loving the driving experience.

ryanty22
ryanty22 Dork
8/1/14 9:58 p.m.

I have honestly never seen an IS300 sportcross in person

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/1/14 10:02 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Clutch42: He is in NC so if it is older than 96 then it is safety only.

R&R just buy this and swap a 350 into it. http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/4585501498.html

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/1/14 10:16 p.m.
plance1
plance1 Dork
8/1/14 10:22 p.m.

"you dump her, dump her fast..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghcmmr5c6j8

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
8/1/14 10:33 p.m.

Domestic pickup truck from the 1990's.

The big three had figured out how to build a reliable, simple truck for not a lot of cash.

They hadn't started bloating into bro-trucks yet.

Get her a nice F-150.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady HalfDork
8/2/14 7:57 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Domestic pickup truck from the 1990's. The big three had figured out how to build a reliable, simple truck for not a lot of cash. They hadn't started bloating into bro-trucks yet. Get her a nice F-150.

Ugh, no. That's what I should get myself.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
8/2/14 8:20 a.m.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/200x-classifieds/1999-bmw-323is-e36-coupe-in-ma-1500/89299/page1/

Buy that. End of thread. Not sure how she wouldn't love that car.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady HalfDork
8/2/14 8:20 a.m.

Found a 91 LS400.....

James_D
James_D Reader
8/2/14 8:34 a.m.

SC400 maybe?

RoughandReady
RoughandReady HalfDork
8/2/14 9:06 a.m.
russ_mill wrote: SC400 maybe?

Mo doors = mo betta.

LS400 is the closest thing to a 3/5sfe Camry that she'll like.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
8/2/14 10:50 a.m.

So, who is buying and driving this mythical vehicle ? You or the girlfriend ?

ryanty22
ryanty22 Dork
8/2/14 11:17 a.m.
clutchsmoke wrote: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/200x-classifieds/1999-bmw-323is-e36-coupe-in-ma-1500/89299/page1/ Buy that. End of thread. Not sure how she wouldn't love that car.

I was gonna leave that link here too

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
8/2/14 11:38 a.m.

[dave ramsey] if all you can afford is $2200 then the only thing you need to consider is reliability. There is no wish list for that price range.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
8/2/14 12:09 p.m.
RoughandReady wrote: Volvo whiteblock cars aren't reliable.

Say what? Except for a few very well documented issues they are just as good as the Redblock cars you and I both seem to love. Most of those issues are from a lack of maintenance. Either find one with maintenance records or catch it up fast once it's bought. I went from a modified 745T to a V70R clone and don't regret it one bit. Plus new parts are cheap if you know where to look and there are more FWD than RWD Volvos in Pull-A-Part these days.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
8/2/14 3:03 p.m.

see Q45 from previous thread!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r0GYR0zANyufyYqk7MC7GZlckvr9IqtLl6omzVbAF0ezHyM92brpyjJTqS9TO16t