1 2
amaff
amaff Reader
7/28/08 8:11 a.m.

This is what I'm running on the Miata :D

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
7/28/08 8:25 a.m.

Too bad you're not around here...I'll be pulling off the stock DOHC system from the dp back soon.

Per

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
7/28/08 8:33 a.m.

well, I have been thinking about running down to florida, if I do, I can also pick up a compleat home beer brewing set up.

chknhwk
chknhwk New Reader
7/28/08 9:31 a.m.

I like it! Especially the overspray on the tree. How much does the whole setup weigh?

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
7/28/08 10:56 a.m.

I've probably bought 25-30 Thrush brand glasspacks over time. They're about $25-30 depending on what size.

Since I'm in nebraska (no inspections), whatever "fun" car I own at the moment, I usually just run straight pipe off the manifold and the glasspack at the end. Some cars that sounds better than others.

Used that formula on my last 325 e30. dual 1.75" pipes the whole length of the car, and the smallest glasspacks I could get peaking out the back of the car. Sounded AMAZING imo.

I've never owned a supertrap or really know anything about them, except that the two of the mr2's in town run them and sound outstanding.

amaff
amaff Reader
7/28/08 11:12 a.m.

HAHA yes! Gotta love that overspray. It's like skin, the outer layer's replaceable lol

On a crappy bathroom scale, it weighed 5.5 lbs give or take. I probably won't have it off until the end of the year when we put swap the built motor in to get an accurate weight with my postage scale, but I mean, it's pretty damn light. Basically, it's a 2 bolt, 2.25" flange I got off of ebay, the dynomax from summit was cut to toe correct angle to fit under the miata, and I got a piece of 45* mandrel bent steel tubing (also off of ebay) for the down-turn.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
7/28/08 6:36 p.m.

i have the exaust pics on my computer, but I'm not sure how to get them on line and so forth

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/28/08 6:55 p.m.

Pansies one and all, hack off the exhaust leaving room for 7" of 2.5" pipe and install this:

Installs with rivets inside the pipe.

porksboy
porksboy HalfDork
7/28/08 9:22 p.m.

What the heck is that ^ ?

B02S4
B02S4 Reader
7/28/08 9:44 p.m.

Yer baffled, ain't ya...

amaff
amaff Reader
7/28/08 11:12 p.m.

I'm not baffled at all thank you very much ;)

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro New Reader
7/29/08 1:02 a.m.

Run a turbocharger...

Best muffler I ever heard. I've got a Pontiac V8 with a turbo and no mufflers. It's a bit rumbly at idle but quite quiet everywhere else.

Shawn

John Brown
7/29/08 6:14 a.m.

For those with exhausts 3" or larger I present the 1/2lb muffler:

HappyAndy
HappyAndy New Reader
7/29/08 7:43 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Run a turbocharger... Best muffler I ever heard. I've got a Pontiac V8 with a turbo and no mufflers. It's a bit rumbly at idle but quite quiet everywhere else. Shawn

I have to take execption to that statment, when my saabs cat broke it brought new meaning to "born from jets" my ears were just about bleeding after a 15 minuet drive. my dog was co-pilot on that ride and I think he was deaf for a few days afterward.

What is a good GRM exhaust solution for 4cyl turbos that wouln't make ears bleed and dogs go deaf

John Brown
7/29/08 8:18 a.m.

Muffler + dog = hilarity

Jack
Jack SuperDork
7/29/08 9:32 a.m.

Walterj,

My personal experience is that the HF pipe expanders are only good for taking the crimps out of a used piece of pipe. They are not effective in actually expanding a pipe.

Jack

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 New Reader
7/30/08 8:52 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote:
Trans_Maro wrote: Run a turbocharger... Best muffler I ever heard. I've got a Pontiac V8 with a turbo and no mufflers. It's a bit rumbly at idle but quite quiet everywhere else. Shawn
I have to take execption to that statment, when my saabs cat broke it brought new meaning to "born from jets" my ears were just about bleeding after a 15 minuet drive. my dog was co-pilot on that ride and I think he was deaf for a few days afterward. What is a good GRM exhaust solution for 4cyl turbos that wouln't make ears bleed and dogs go deaf

To be honest, every boosted car that i've put together just ran open dump. The turbo really does do a good job of muffling.

I'd just have someone make a mandrel bend 3" for you, no cat, maybe a resonator, and can of your choice.

Or, a side exit is always fun.

walterj
walterj HalfDork
7/30/08 11:55 a.m.
Jack wrote: Walterj, My personal experience is that the HF pipe expanders are only good for taking the crimps out of a used piece of pipe. They are not effective in actually expanding a pipe. Jack

They are not what I'd call "stout" but it did the job once I replaced the crappy soft threaded bolt with a good one.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dSMazU8Wi9AN6LJR1FJQG0c5wRECli75lC0gvlfCNfCfeHlG6GZ8AOxFinkiRuBo