jonsteckelberg
jonsteckelberg New Reader
7/15/16 9:35 a.m.

Looking for some information on a problem I am having with my daughters 2005 Impala. The other day we got in the car to come home and it would not start, dash lights up but no crank at all. I then notice that the information display is flashing "Security". I do a quick internet search and find out that this can be related to the pass key system, which is designed to prevent theft. Well eventually I found that if I try and start the car then leave the key in the "on" position that eventually the "Security" message goes away and the car will start. It has now started fine for several days.

My main question is, is this likely to happen again? is there a cheap permanent fix?

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks Jon

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
7/15/16 9:42 a.m.

Well, its only one of two possibilities on those systems, key or the module and any associated wiring. You would have to be able to see the real time data on when it happens to determine which is at fault. Keys don't necessarily go "bad", but I've seen it be the case.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb HalfDork
7/15/16 11:14 a.m.

http://passlock.bloggstar.com/reset-passlock-vats/

I've had success with this in the past

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
7/15/16 11:31 a.m.

"Thank you for calling OnStar.... Have I reached the party to whom I am speaking?"

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
7/15/16 11:40 a.m.

Try a different key, if you have one. Also, the tiny wires going to the sensor can break, and sometimes the wee brass filings from the key wearing out will cause issues with picking up the signal from the key.

You re-introduced the key by leaving it in the "on" position for 10 minutes.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/15/16 12:12 p.m.

I have zero experience with GM code keys, but I know my BMW refuses to allow turnover when the car battery begins to fail.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
prNBKE85xXfWGcMl7IOFCqOjfNBPhqwqEBhvCVUMe4BN2ukggiWV9j0Sh1hIz68g