BattlePope
BattlePope
1/25/10 8:54 p.m.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Older generations...everything pre-2000.

Thanks!

zipty842
zipty842 Reader
1/25/10 9:21 p.m.

for anything rwd celica - celica-gts.com careful though, there is some seriously anti-fwd guys there

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/25/10 9:26 p.m.

club4ag

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
1/26/10 7:49 a.m.

6gc.net
alltrac.net
newcelica.org
toyotanation.com
celica-gts.com
club4ag

Those are really the only ones i can halfway recommend.

That all said... what information are you looking for?

Jay
Jay Dork
1/26/10 8:26 a.m.

http://www.dorikaze.com is a good one too. Mostly for '80s stuff, AE86, AE7x, AW11, RA6x, etc. There are a few numbskulls on there but most of the members are good folk.

pez222
pez222 New Reader
1/26/10 8:48 a.m.

Here is the link for club 4ag

Plus all the links 93celicaGT2 mentioned above.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
1/26/10 9:17 a.m.

4agftmfw

BattlePope
BattlePope New Reader
1/26/10 3:44 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: That all said... what information are you looking for?

Just some general info. Thinking about getting a 5th or 6th gen as a multi-purpose (DD/track) car and just wanted to do some researching.

I've done a bit already and from what I can gather I should either get the 7AFE or the 5SFE. I'm a bit partial to the 5th gen styling so leaning towards the 5SFE. Heard they're good handling cars for a 3000 lb car and was curious about making some more power down the road. I know these motors are turbo'd quite a bit and wanted to do some research on it. Also wanted to try to learn some stuff about a 7AGE 20V hybrid.

Also curious as to how they match up to other comparable cars (EGT/MX3/Protege, Civic, NX2000/B13 SE-R, Neon, Focus, etc.).

Also, if anyone's got a 7AFE or 5SFE, what kind of gas mileage are you getting around town?

One more thing, what do you guys think of the 7th gen Celica's? How do they stack up against the 5th/6th gen?

Thanks!

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
1/26/10 4:12 p.m.
BattlePope wrote:
93celicaGT2 wrote: That all said... what information are you looking for?
Just some general info. Thinking about getting a 5th or 6th gen as a multi-purpose (DD/track) car and just wanted to do some researching. I've done a bit already and from what I can gather I should either get the 7AFE or the 5SFE. I'm a bit partial to the 5th gen styling so leaning towards the 5SFE. Heard they're good handling cars for a 3000 lb car and was curious about making some more power down the road. I know these motors are turbo'd quite a bit and wanted to do some research on it. Also wanted to try to learn some stuff about a 7AGE 20V hybrid. Also curious as to how they match up to other comparable cars (EGT/MX3/Protege, Civic, NX2000/B13 SE-R, Neon, Focus, etc.). Also, if anyone's got a 7AFE or 5SFE, what kind of gas mileage are you getting around town? One more thing, what do you guys think of the 7th gen Celica's? How do they stack up against the 5th/6th gen? Thanks!

Alright, let's see what i can do for you.

1) 7th gens are a bit superior out of the box. They're lighter, and the 7th gen GT-S is the fastest celica in every way to ever come to the US.

BUT: A speed junky could easily dust one on a track for less than the entry fee of a 7th gen GTS with a 5th or 6th gen.

I'm going to just address the 5th gens, since they're all the same, and you seem to like them more. (me too)

MPG: You should see about 30-32mpg combined out of either the 5sfe or the 7afe/4afe depending on your foot.

Weight: A 5th gen GTS will weigh about 3000lbs. There are only three reasons to get a GTS instead of a GT:
1) You like the widebody look
2) You like the leather interior and the ballin' stereo system if the car has that option
3) You want to eventually stuff some seriously huge tires under the car. (275 width or larger is not unheard of.)

My pick? A GT coupe. They weigh about 2700-2800lbs, are stiffer than the hatches, and you can still fit some decent rubber in there.

Side note: You'll want a 92-93 car if you're going to get a 5th gen GT/GTS. The motor is tuned better, has slightly different cams, and just runs better. Also has a better shifter, better brakes, and updated styling.

Turbo the 5sfe? Don't bother. For the price you'll pay to get it running correctly until it blows up, you may as well just wait and save for a 3sgte swap. (Easy) Why does it blow up? Look at the rod bolts sometime on a 5sfe. TINY. That's not to say that people have done it successfully and made some nice power, but it's a gamble, and not one that i would take on a multi-purpose car.

How do they match up against comparable cars:

1) EGT/MX3/Protege: They're just... different. The Celica feels more solid, but not quite as out and out nimble. You've got to horse it around a little bit to get the most of it, but it is MUCH more confidence inspiring in cornering, and ultimate grip is quite a bit higher. In terms of speed? A 92-93 GT/GTS Celica vs. a BP powered BG chassis would be a wash. In a very tight autox course, assuming the drivers know what they're doing, i'd give the nod to the Mazdas, but on an open track, the Celica.

2) Civic: Eh. Hard to say. The extra torque is definitely a blessing. But otherwise, the same applies as with the Mazdas. This is assuming that we aren't talking about some b-series swapped frankencivic or anything.

3) Neon: This is actually the closest car that i can think of to the Celica in terms of handling characteristics. About the same "nimbleness," but again, high speed cornering, the Celica feels more planted. Straight line, the Neon will probably slightly edge it, but won't have the same low end torque.

4) Focus: No idea. Haven't driven one, don't really want to.

More power, you've got options. 3sgte swap, 3sge swap, 5sge hybrid, V6 swap, etc etc etc. We're talking anywhere from probably 150whp 5sfes to 800+whp 3sgtes, whatever power you want to make, it's been done, and there's quite a bit of information out there. So what are you looking for? I can get you started.

If this is ever going to be a SERIOUS car, i would suggest starting with a GTS. It makes tire fitment that much easier, and tracking down the GTS fenders later is a PITA.

I will try to update my "reader's rides" section with more info on my Celica for you.

Hope that all helped.

BattlePope
BattlePope New Reader
1/26/10 6:14 p.m.

That was an INCREDIBLY helpful post man, thanks a bunch.

I was interested in turbo'ing the 5SFE because I want a DD with good gas mileage and figured that as long as I stay out of the boost, I'd do pretty well. The gas mileage requirement is the only thing that makes me wary of the 3SGTE.

How does the 7AFE respond to boost? And the 7AFE never came in the 5th gen stock, right?

Couple other cars that I am looking at the I forgot: - ABA swap into an A2 Golf. Boost. Or just turbo an A3. - Turbo'd DA Integra LS - Something with an M42 (E30 318i/E36 318ti)

And if I did get a Civic I would most definitely be putting something else in.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
1/26/10 8:46 p.m.
BattlePope wrote: That was an INCREDIBLY helpful post man, thanks a bunch. I was interested in turbo'ing the 5SFE because I want a DD with good gas mileage and figured that as long as I stay out of the boost, I'd do pretty well. The gas mileage requirement is the only thing that makes me wary of the 3SGTE. How does the 7AFE respond to boost? And the 7AFE never came in the 5th gen stock, right? Couple other cars that I am looking at the I forgot: - ABA swap into an A2 Golf. Boost. Or just turbo an A3. - Turbo'd DA Integra LS - Something with an M42 (E30 318i/E36 318ti) And if I did get a Civic I would most definitely be putting something else in.

3sgtes get decent gas mileage, about the same as a turbo 5sfe. Stay out of boost, it'll reward you with probably within 1-2mpg of the "5sfte."

The 7afe would be ok with low boost pressure. I wouldn't go a whole lot farther than 200whp, and no, it never came in the 5th gen, but it's a decently easy swap. 6th gen STs or later 90s corollas. On the flip side, anything you're going to put a 7afe in isn't going to be that heavy, so 200whp +/- 25whp is going to motivate it pretty well.

Turbo DA Integra is a decent choice, but those cars just never seemed as robust or planted to me. I had a 91 Integra GS as my first real project car, and there's a pretty large difference in stability between the two cars. I lean towards the Celica. The Celicas have put up with more abuse without complaining than my integra did, and the Integra was in far better shape than my Celicas to start with.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dFzITsOw93seKPEMoaAxXIhIsUT2hbFrel21nI5MVMJaHLbKiAbY0rq6josPUNmF