Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
7/29/13 8:14 a.m.

Sunday morning I met some Scion friends to drive around some local twisty roads one person had mapped out. I set up the Hero2 and started filming. I had shot maybe 3-4 short clips in the first 20 minutes and looked at my remote on my wrist, and it said "FULL", and had stopped. Crap! I forgot the last rallycross clips were still on it and should have formatted. Oh well, my loss.

But when I went to download the few clips I managed to get, I realized Windows Explorer said I only had 3.5gb of clips on the card, and it's a 32gb card! (It showed 20-something free in Properties, and total like 29.5gb)

WTH? Anyone have that issue before? Total there were maybe 10-12 clips on the disk, but way below 32gb. Hero2 with the wifi backpack (so yes I did the firmware update probably a year ago)

v8exocet
v8exocet Reader
7/29/13 8:17 a.m.

you have to format it IN CAMERA

sometimes if you just delete stuff on your computer it doesnt actually delete.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/29/13 8:21 a.m.

I had the same thing happen before on a GoPro HD Hero 960, unfortunately I was in a hurry and didn't get to do a little experiment...if you still haven't deleted the clips off the GoPro, see if you can record more videos now. I wonder if power cycling the camera and trying to record would change anything.

And +1 for formatting on the camera. This ensures that you get exactly the right filesystem format for the camera, and minimizes the potential for ID10T errors

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
7/29/13 8:23 a.m.

What he said. Happens in my other video camera as well. Format in the camera and you are usually good. Some reason the cameras store thumbnails and such from the video even when you delete the video via your PC.

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
7/29/13 8:28 a.m.

Oh I always format in the camera, be it the GoPro or my Nikon. I found a few threads about bad disks, even though this one has lasted about 1.5 years.

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
7/29/13 8:29 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: I wonder if power cycling the camera and trying to record would change anything.

Wish I had tried this now.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/29/13 8:39 a.m.

This thread is useless without links to the clips.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/29/13 8:47 a.m.

I never had mine long enough to even figure out how it worked more than the basics

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
7/29/13 9:08 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

Haha Youtube for the stuff already there. Includes the last rallycross event. Stuff from yesterday? Meh I only got some boring driving to the twisty bits, it died before the fun started.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
7/29/13 10:53 a.m.

I had to do a double-take when I saw your name at the top of the Youtube page.

Jerry Stein

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
7/29/13 11:52 a.m.

In reply to jstein77:

Stein and Stern are the two most popular misspellings of my name.

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
7/29/13 6:34 p.m.

Turned it on when I got home, no full message. Cycled through the modes back to video and it said full. Format the card, took a couple quick 5 second clips, all seems well. Guess I'll try filming my drive to work or something and see what happens.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OWrjIyXhZT8STRLHwdS0IaT15gHBFQxtkXm7eeifLILnEiAtKtfdYMpiW7wLbR9C