1 2
bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/25/13 10:35 p.m.

Somehow the mangled condenser on the wrecked SRT-4 I just bought is still tight and the AC system is still pressurized. I'm trying to remove all of the smashed stuff from the front of the car so I can stuff an old radiator I have laying around in and see if I can get the car to run, and don't want to just drain the system to the atmosphere. Any ideas?

Thanks

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Reader
2/25/13 10:42 p.m.

You just eliminated the grassroots method with your hippy concern for the environment

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
2/25/13 10:51 p.m.

Its 134a, its pretty much harmless.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Intern
2/25/13 10:53 p.m.

Accidentally undo the line. Claim ignorance. Rinse and repeat.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/25/13 11:02 p.m.

"Accidentally" cut through it with a sawzall.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Intern
2/25/13 11:17 p.m.

Or, connect an AC gauge set, then accidentally check the pressure the wrong way by opening the valve without a can attached.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
2/26/13 5:55 a.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Its 134a, its pretty much harmless.

Sorry, but that is absolutely false. 134A is getting replaced by j1234 in the next few years because it has been determined to be harmful to the environment.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
2/26/13 5:58 a.m.

If you can get an empty tank, put it in a vacuum (or not if you have no way) and connect it to the system. You won't capture all of it, but you'll get a lot of it. You can even use a gas grill tank. To those of you condoning letting it fly, I don't know what to say. I'm in no way shape or form an environmentalist, but advising someone to release a known hazardous gas into the air when there are other options for containing it is irresponsible, to put it nicely.

SCARRMRCC
SCARRMRCC Reader
2/26/13 7:30 a.m.

we have a local "pull it yo'self" yard (as opposed to the nice "you pull it" yards). and I asked them about how to get an AC condenser. Their exact words: when you pull a line, don't breathe in.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/26/13 7:56 a.m.

Find a decent shop that will extract the gas for cheap. There are enough sketchy businesses such as SCARRMRCC describes above, don't contribute to the problem.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
2/26/13 8:47 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

It sounds like the car is non-operable, which would make it difficult to do that unless he can find a mobile HVAC guy.

bgkast
2/26/13 9:07 a.m.

How portable are the evacuation tanks? There is a mechanic about 1/8 mile from my house that I think does AC work.

I figured you guys would suggest something with garbage bags and zip ties.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/26/13 9:08 a.m.
SCARRMRCC wrote: we have a local "pull it yo'self" yard (as opposed to the nice "you pull it" yards). and I asked them about how to get an AC condenser. Their exact words: when you pull a line, don't breathe in.

Even the nice yards miss a few. I've been blasted in the face by that E36 M3 twice in the last year.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/13 9:16 a.m.

Yellow Pages? I'll bet a mobile guy will come evacuate it if he gets to keep the gas. I know one of our local shops will do that.

SCARRMRCC
SCARRMRCC Reader
2/26/13 9:28 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
SCARRMRCC wrote: we have a local "pull it yo'self" yard (as opposed to the nice "you pull it" yards). and I asked them about how to get an AC condenser. Their exact words: when you pull a line, don't breathe in.
Even the nice yards miss a few. I've been blasted in the face by that E36 M3 twice in the last year.

Oh I know that.. I meant this place did not ever empty ANY of them. it was up to you. all fluids etc, were like that. and they cared nothing for how you got your parts. they seriously were ok with you just dumping coolant on the ground, gas oil etc.. same thing. I love the prices out there.. but at the same time.. the general practice is pretty much illegal I think (especially because they are on the the top of the hill for the town...I bet that town has a nice tasting water.)

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
2/26/13 10:26 a.m.

In reply to bgkast:

We have a distributor in your area. These guys will come out and evacuate it for you. Here's there information:

Thermo King Northwest
3235 N.E. 230th Ave.
Portland, OR 97024
Phone: 503-251-8900

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
2/26/13 11:03 a.m.

So, the GRM way - if you have an old a/c cylinder you can put the empty cylinder in dry ice (with maybe some rubbing alcohol as a wetting agent) and let enthalpy do the work. the refrigerant will flow from the a/c system to the cold cylinder as its under the boiling point of 134a.

Of course if you were further north, I could let you borrow our A/C recycling setup

KJ

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
2/26/13 11:09 a.m.
bravenrace wrote:
Sorry, but that is absolutely false. 134A is getting replaced by j1234 in the next few years because it has been determined to be harmful to the environment.

Yeah, and R12 was bad and they replaced it with R134a...

But I agree, that crap is harmful. Any way you can get an empty R134a can and vent most of into that?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
2/26/13 11:17 a.m.
bravenrace wrote:

Automotive refrigeration obsolescence has more to do with dupont patenting than the environment. 134a's only hazard is global warming, on a forum where most of us enjoy selling out catalytic converters for exhaust system money, I didn't think that was a high concern.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
2/26/13 11:18 a.m.

Let's not dump antifreeze into our storm drains, motor oil into our lawns, or refrigerant into our atmosphere, please.

Thank you.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
2/26/13 12:11 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote:
bravenrace wrote:
Automotive refrigeration obsolescence has more to do with dupont patenting than the environment. 134a's only hazard is global warming, on a forum where most of us enjoy selling out catalytic converters for exhaust system money, I didn't think that was a high concern.

I work in the industry. It matters to me because I know the truth. Comments like "134a's only hazard is global warming" on the other hand sound ignorant.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/26/13 12:51 p.m.

Accidentally shotgun?

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/26/13 5:09 p.m.
bgkast wrote: Somehow the mangled condenser on the wrecked SRT-4 I just bought is still tight and the AC system is still pressurized. I'm trying to remove all of the smashed stuff from the front of the car so I can stuff an old radiator I have laying around in and see if I can get the car to run, and don't want to just drain the system to the atmosphere. Any ideas? Thanks

How mangled? I bent the condensor on my Miata into about a 20 degree vee in a wreck. The radiator was similarly bent, puked all the coolant. When my body guy went to take the condenser off to replace it, it was still holding pressure..so he bent it back straight. Still works, still looks okay. Neither he nor I thought there was any chance it would still work. Consequently I've got a new condenser for an N/A Miata laying in my garage.

Might be worth a shot, if you can bend it back without venting it.

bikerbenz
bikerbenz New Reader
2/26/13 7:03 p.m.

134a or tetrafluoroethane has been used in electronics "dusters" use this information in making your decision.

I am not a chemist but I pretend to be.

bgkast
2/26/13 11:41 p.m.

Local shop wants $40 to drain it, and I have to get the car to the shop. The engine is going in a locost, so it's going to have to come apart...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iphyXbNZmBtIYptAQAPf6Vax4n34ydAqPJzzhRHSU3G0FguLrXrevtuuD3OqydfY