1 2
SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/17/09 10:13 p.m.

This paintjob blows. Orange peel, waves, runs and chips everywhere. My first order of business this spring is to repaint the TR6 and "restore" the interior. Originality be damned, this is going to be my long-term step-by-step track/autocross project. I was thinking a color like BMW Estoril Blue/Mazda Mariner Blue might be interesting; ideas? I'd like something different than your run-of-the-mill bright red TR6 (not that there's anything wrong with red TR6's).

(also, does anyone have any idea what color the odd denim blue/green TR6 on this page is? http://www.jigsawracingservices.co.uk/carswelookafter.htm )

ArthurDent
ArthurDent New Reader
2/17/09 10:22 p.m.

I like bright yellow on a TR6

Sofa King
Sofa King New Reader
2/17/09 11:46 p.m.

BRG

Opus
Opus HalfDork
2/18/09 12:18 a.m.
Sofa King wrote: BRG

+1

Luke
Luke Dork
2/18/09 3:52 a.m.

Mazda Mariner blue would look good. I believe there was a similar factory "french" blue available for the TR6, too.

edit: it's actually much lighter than mariner blue, but looks better IMO.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Having said all that, I'd just paint it BRG. The TR6's squat shape and brutish nature suits BRG better than anything this side of a "Blower" Bentley.

ZOOMiata
ZOOMiata GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/18/09 5:05 a.m.

Welcome back, Slick!

I'd second Mariner (one of the best colours of all time, IMHO). I'd also think some of the non-metallic oranges from newer cars could look good. I'm thinking of the colour on new Mustangs.

Rob

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
2/18/09 5:49 a.m.

BRG

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
2/18/09 6:44 a.m.

Don't use a Mazda color. BL had two colors that were very close to Mariner. I believe one was called Tahiti Blue, and I can't remember the other name. Google BL paint chips, you'll find it.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/18/09 6:44 a.m.

Caramel Brown

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
2/18/09 6:47 a.m.

try:

www.autocolorlibrary.com

for color options.

Another vote for BRG here.

Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
2/18/09 7:39 a.m.

I like yellow. If you paint it BRG it needs a british flag on it like some of them came with. lol

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/18/09 7:46 a.m.

if you want to keep it red.. BMW's Calypso red was a very nice dark burgandy metallic. Very pretty and very subtle.

It's also the reason I chose my bimmer.. love that colour

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Reader
2/18/09 7:54 a.m.

Where have you been Slick? Been a long time...

How about black? Not very original, but a blacked out anything always looks mean. Maybe keep a silver lip on the wheels?

Maybe a airplane style paint job?

longhorndude
longhorndude New Reader
2/18/09 8:10 a.m.

up the BRG, just dont paint it brown, dad had a brown tr6 once, terrible color for a fun car.

EricM
EricM HalfDork
2/18/09 9:00 a.m.
Sofa King wrote: BRG

I thought that there was a "cosmic Law" that only allowed that color?

Maybe there should be.

• 1 brazillian (call back from a joke)
Ian_F
Ian_F New Reader
2/18/09 9:10 a.m.

any color that strikes your fancy... it's not like a "correct" TR6 is hard to find...

Sofa King
Sofa King New Reader
2/18/09 9:42 a.m.

I like the color that the car is now.

For some reason I have always preferred TR6s in dark non metallic colors. BRG, Burgundy, Navy.

My favorite car color is the bright metallic Cobra blue (with white stripes) What I don't understand is why a British AC Ace looks so right that color but a British TR6 wouldn't.

purplepeopleeater
purplepeopleeater New Reader
2/18/09 10:10 a.m.

No BRG, no 'Resale Red', no Maple. Anything else that suits your fancy.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
2/18/09 11:47 a.m.

Personally, I cannot stand a metallic paint on a vintage Brit car. Just doesn't seem right.

I vote for the dark version of BRG like came on D type Jaguars. I also liked the dark blue color some of them came in.

driver109x
driver109x Reader
2/18/09 1:05 p.m.

Another vote for BRG. I also like charcoal grey or even a darker grey, white, and maybe black.

Luke
Luke Dork
2/18/09 6:57 p.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: How about black? Not very original, but a blacked out anything always looks mean.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Production Editor
2/18/09 7:00 p.m.

That is sexy. I want.

skrzastek
skrzastek Reader
2/18/09 7:03 p.m.
Luke wrote:
CarKid1989 wrote: How about black? Not very original, but a blacked out anything always looks mean.

details and more pictures please

Luke
Luke Dork
2/18/09 7:21 p.m.

These are the only ones I have, but I think there's a whole thread about this car kicking around on the old board somewhere.

Goldmember
Goldmember New Reader
2/18/09 7:22 p.m.

This thread makes me sad. There has been a TR6 sitting in the yard of a scumbag family of W-T so and so's just down the road from my house for about 6-7 yearsnow. It appeared to be in decent shape when I first spotted it, but the roof tore open over the front seats shortly after. Its currently covered/filled with snow and ice.

Color votes:

1.Black on black wheels, maybe a white stripe wrapping the nose like a ribbon with a meatball on one side of the hood centerline.

2.Navy! Looks great on old 50's & 60's Beetle convertables.

3.BRG. It is, you know, British

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5NSHoWfI1cQGG49cjh9AgBPmDQQD8qKzque7p234zlNNjSiYpNi4RQOZotEdfMqq