1 2
usa4cheer
usa4cheer New Reader
11/19/12 5:53 p.m.

does anyone know more about the green 911 targa looks like a 77 with the big wheel and fenders cutout? it is always in the autocross pictures in GRM. I would love to see more pictures of this one.

thanks tim

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
11/19/12 5:54 p.m.

It is in the readers rides.

usa4cheer
usa4cheer New Reader
11/19/12 5:59 p.m.

thanks just pulled it up

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
11/19/12 6:03 p.m.

Those are some HUGE tires!

usa4cheer
usa4cheer New Reader
11/19/12 6:16 p.m.

That thing is crazy, that's why I wanted to see it, its seems to be in the background every so often and I wanted to see those monsters. I bet your neck is wrecked after a couple goes in that thing.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/12 6:29 p.m.

You guys, making me go through all the Porsche pictures. Goodness gracious.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/1686/

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
11/19/12 7:14 p.m.

No description could have prepared me for that picture.

mw
mw Dork
11/19/12 7:46 p.m.

I see it a solo nationals every year. It runs in Ssm

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
11/19/12 8:32 p.m.

I was gonna say, that's too early to be a 77. It's a long hood, and they were only sold through the end of 73. 74 brought about the hideous impact bumpers...

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
11/19/12 10:27 p.m.

Lifted pickups with big mud tires have their tires tucked in closer than that around here...

alex
alex UltraDork
11/19/12 10:40 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:

Kermit looks pissed.

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
11/19/12 11:01 p.m.
alex wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote:
Kermit looks pissed.

I think Kermit looks focussed...

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
11/20/12 6:43 a.m.
grafmiata wrote:
alex wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote:
Kermit looks pissed.
I think Kermit looks focussed...

I think he's happy, it's wet

I think the ban hammer is needed if we don't get a full build thread ASAP

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 HalfDork
11/20/12 7:28 a.m.

thats sooooooooo awsome. i want to do that with something one of these days.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
11/20/12 7:31 a.m.

Needs moar box flare.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
11/20/12 10:20 a.m.
Sky_Render wrote: Needs moar box flare.

No, no it does not. It's high on awesome sauce as it is.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
11/20/12 12:03 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Sky_Render wrote: Needs moar box flare.
No, no it does not. It's high on awesome sauce as it is.

If you look, you'll see that some of the excess awesome gravy is awesomely flying off those awesome tires. That in itself is awesome.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
11/20/12 1:38 p.m.

That's my friend Paul's car. I grenaded it's transmission at an autocross once. MAN did I feel like an shiny happy person! I'm not sure if it would be possible to make a build thread for it, as he's been racing it for probably 15-20 years, and it's been constantly evolving. I believe he's running a 3.0L turbo engine on megasquirt in it right now.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
11/20/12 9:56 p.m.

Wow. If it is that highly modified, why not run some flares? Or is that a result of some "neat" SCCA autocross class rules?

David

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/20/12 10:12 p.m.

Because flares are heavier and require bodywork?

tpwalsh
tpwalsh Reader
11/21/12 6:46 a.m.

In reply to 16vCorey:

915 trans? 'cause if you grenaded the turbo 4 speed trans I'm going to bow down and worship you.

tpwalsh
tpwalsh Reader
11/21/12 6:46 a.m.

In reply to DWNSHFT:

All autocross classes that allow fender cutting also also allow flares.

Edit: Keith's got the right answer I think.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
11/21/12 10:29 a.m.
tpwalsh wrote: In reply to 16vCorey: 915 trans? 'cause if you grenaded the turbo 4 speed trans I'm going to bow down and worship you.

I'm pretty sure it was a 915, definitely not a 4 speed. The shift linkage was a little wonky, and as I tried to hit 3rd it didn't want to go in. I finally thought I had it, let out the clutch and got in the gas and heard a hell of a CLUNK! I then put it back in second and finished the run, with a stream of gear oil following me. It appeared that the diff tried to leave the trans, and split the case in several places.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
11/21/12 10:33 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Because flares are heavier and require bodywork?

Definitely. That and it looks totally bad ass the way it is.

If I remember the story correctly, one year at nationals he got new bigger rubber. As he was lined up in the paddock or whatever, he started bouncing up and down on the fenders and trimming them with tin snips where they were suspected to rub, to the horror of onlooking fellow Porsche owners. Funny stuff.

sporqster
sporqster Reader
11/21/12 10:56 a.m.

^^^ Paul tells this story well. In paddock literally next to him was a guy using a feather duster thing to clean the edges of the vents on the dashboard, all while Paul is hacking away at his car with tin snips. Picture of two very different types of Porsche owners having a good time in very different ways.

I too know this car. Actually, I'm running the 'prototype' Megasquirt set up that Paul has in it in my '79 poo brown daily. He wanted to try it out and learn it on my car before committing to it for the green monster, and I was glad to oblige.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VpvKVvBDCd9gy0iTPmIjcFZUiL1ztqjJinZ7PuGE30Sl5mLpGcQvbS8HldtWxvyt