1 2 3 4 5
Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/19/17 6:10 a.m.

It may break apart over time but I don't think it will be too floppy initially. 

+I don't have much room in my budget. The challenge budget.

I was given permission to buy a sub $2000 miata if this all falls apart. 

bluej
bluej UltraDork
9/19/17 6:57 a.m.
rslifkin said:

Any plans to stiffen that thing up so the chassis doesn't tear apart from all of the removed bits? 

I agree that it might not tear apart, but stiffening the rear will still be a good idea.  Can I suggest focusing on structure first for the build weekend, and whatever happens in g-ville for cleanup (read: add "truck" flair) will happen? Then if you're not feeling good about it by the end of that build weekend, you can do the miata backup route (boo! cheeky).

I'm in for helping that final Thursday.

bluej
bluej UltraDork
9/19/17 7:04 a.m.

Oo! Idea! Two big cylinders coming out of the rear seat area in front of the gas tank.  I'm talking stupid big (12-18" diam.) to add to the brodozer/Rollin coal look.

Also, truck nuts.

Those things could happen in g-ville pretty easily, but you can plan and fab around them now.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/19/17 2:16 p.m.

In reply to bluej :

Are you coming to help "brace" the car to keep it together.

bluej
bluej UltraDork
9/19/17 5:28 p.m.

I'll help w/ whatever in Gainesville that Thursday.  York isn't that far, but I can't make it up to the build weekend.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
9/19/17 7:03 p.m.

I can hold things and lift things.  Those talents I have for sure.  smiley

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/20/17 7:34 a.m.
nutherjrfan said:

I can hold things and lift things.  Those talents I have for sure.  smiley

That's not a bad skill. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/22/17 12:07 p.m.

Any thoughts about using a roll of  aluminum flashing as my tonneau cover? 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/22/17 12:34 p.m.

Rivets?  Will it blow off during your 18 second quarter mile?

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/22/17 12:48 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Yes, rivets. Can it hold up to 100mph winds? Doubtful. Thanks, it was just an idea. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
9/22/17 12:58 p.m.

The rivets would hold just fine to 100 mile per hour. I would be more concerned about the thin aluminum flashing then the ribbons.

Willis
Willis New Reader
9/22/17 1:25 p.m.

I'm 20 minutes away and could come down Saturday.  I know nothing about Q45's.  I don't think that matters in this situation.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/22/17 1:39 p.m.

In reply to Willis :

At this point you need to know nothing about a Q45. Just need an open mind into how to make a truck bed or cover for what was once a car. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/22/17 1:46 p.m.

Leaning towards making a wooden bed just above the fuel tank. Realized if i cut the rear of the body off I won't need those expensive fender flares. 

Stampie
9/22/17 1:53 p.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman :

I would leave all the structure you have left. I'm already worried about it. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/22/17 1:57 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

As soon as I bleed the brakes I'm going to do some parking lot testing with video to follow. 

I'll just hack it all up and sit a lawn chair in the car. 

Willis
Willis New Reader
9/22/17 2:00 p.m.

Cool.  I'm down, pending approval from lady willis.  I can bring down my welder/grinder if needed.

716.397.19sheven6

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/22/17 2:13 p.m.

In reply to Willis :

Excellent any assistance is appreciated. Bring the welder if possible, I'm not allowed to touch the one here at work. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/22/17 2:20 p.m.
Andy Neuman said:

In reply to Stampie :

Yes, rivets. Can it hold up to 100mph winds? Doubtful. Thanks, it was just an idea. 

Ummm, I thought rivets and aluminum flashing was the original way to make a race car. Not to mention AIRPLANES!

Can't be that bad. I'm planning to use a lot of rivets on mine.

Willis
Willis New Reader
9/22/17 2:39 p.m.

What is the width of the car?  Or at least the area that would need filled?

Linky to cheap sheet metal below  if you wanted SSR type styling

Jeep hood

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/22/17 5:14 p.m.

In reply to Willis :

Between all of my wrecked ice box sheet metal and the wrecked Volvo in my basement I think we will have enough metal to do anything we want

Willis
Willis New Reader
9/22/17 7:33 p.m.

Cool.  I wasn't sure if the freezer doors were aluminium or not.  I'll bring the welder.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/22/17 8:14 p.m.

In reply to Willis :

Some of the older ones were made with aluminum panels. Some of my problems with using scrap from work is mostly everything is stainless now so if you wanted to replicate a DeLorean we could. 

Stampie
9/22/17 8:43 p.m.
Robbie said:
Andy Neuman said:

In reply to Stampie :

Ummm, I thought rivets and aluminum flashing was the original way to make a race car. Not to mention AIRPLANES!

Can't be that bad. I'm planning to use a lot of rivets on mine.

I wasn't concerned about the rivets holding. I was concerned about the quality of the riveter holding. 

bluej
bluej UltraDork
9/22/17 9:28 p.m.

If you know you want to go the wood bed route, consider a first layer of plywood. The nature of plywood resisting movement in-plane should help, and I'd imagine anything that does is good right now.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4iSo7ANiw2CAiHTRelxdPV7YMkzX9GjjbE8nZ9qGwnAnPAr7YkAoYUxUHkuoW0gX