1 2 3 4 5
Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/28/17 11:50 a.m.

Could you bolt the doors or rivet them with huge rivets? Lock them shut then clip the lock wires?

I agree welding is probably the right way but it causes a need for lots of other work (grinding, Bondo, sanding, painting), and I know time is short before the challenge and you have to get married in between then and now.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/28/17 12:00 p.m.

In reply to Willis :

Looks like we may be trying to weld the doors shut Saturday morning if you are up for it. 

Willis
Willis New Reader
9/28/17 12:42 p.m.

FoSheezy

Do you have material for the "tonneau"?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/28/17 12:50 p.m.

The best solution I have seen was a Volvo 240 pickup build. They gutted the rear doors, welded plates in the jambs and then welded square tube across the door opening (looked like 1-1/2 or 2" tube). Then another length of square tube was welded between the door bars to tie it together and also strengthen the rear of the cab. 

I'll try to find the pictures again. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/28/17 2:17 p.m.

In reply to Willis :

I havent lined up cross sections yet  

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/28/17 5:30 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/6dmcWNa3nIc?rel=0

First drive around the lot. I'm obviously a failure at bleeding brakes because one caliper was leaking and they don't work. Car came back together when I put it on the ground. Managed to break the mirror with the forklift. Car also seems to not be running 100%.  I may start searching for a backup car.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
9/29/17 4:08 a.m.
Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/29/17 6:02 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

...offer sent, he will probably say no but doesn't mean it's not a real offer. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
9/29/17 6:13 a.m.

Maybe he will trade you...

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/29/17 6:25 a.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

There is a nice GS400 on the local Craigslist for $2000 and a 2005 Prius with 300k miles that tempt me.

Willis
Willis New Reader
9/29/17 7:05 a.m.

The GS400 is pretty nice for 2k.   Probably could drive it down, beat on it, and drive it back.

Other Options
Camaro

Pimp Regal

5speed sm95

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
9/29/17 7:21 a.m.
Andy Neuman said:

In reply to John Welsh :

...offer sent, he will probably say no but doesn't mean it's not a real offer. 

Don't just send him a blind offer, sell him the dream of fame.  Tell him that you are in the area and need to source a car for an International Automotive, Multi-Media company (print and screen) to be featured in an upcoming feature.  Specifically this feature will be a competition of "utes" vs Pickups. Etc, etc.  

Use sentences like, "we were intrigued by your execution..."    Further go on to highlight that the completed car needs to remain under budget so please do not take my offer as an insult but rather take my offer as praise to what you have built...bs..bs..bs.  

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/29/17 7:37 a.m.
Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/29/17 7:44 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I sent something very nice... He seemed insulted because he spent so much money. 

He wants $6500. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
9/29/17 7:54 a.m.

Why are you guys talking about other cars?  That looks like a really good start- can the remains of the roof be used to create a "flying buttress" to finish the back of the cab?

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/29/17 8:10 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

It's fun to talk about other cars 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
9/29/17 8:12 a.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman :

Can't argue with that!  I just wanted to make sure you weren't giving up.  I have a ton to do at home, but if you guys really need all hands on deck I can probably make it out there for a day.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/29/17 8:28 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

If you have time tomorrow, I'm sure you are at least 5-10x more skilled than I am. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
9/29/17 8:36 a.m.

I have to run like 300ft of wire tomorrow, hang two racecars from a ceiling, and help my brother move- Sunday is much more likely, maybe post here if you still need reinforcements after the Saturday work session?

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/29/17 8:47 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

You sound like you could use some help not me. I'll let you know. I'm sure I'll still need some help after tomorrow. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/29/17 11:35 a.m.

Going to get a snap fastener kit at Home Depot to try and use the tundra tonneau cover that I've sourced. I think that will eliminate a lot of work. 

Edit: ^jokes on me, Q"ute"45 has a bigger bed than a tundra. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/29/17 4:22 p.m.

Weld doors from inside to make no paintwork. Use some steel scraps to bridge gap from door shell to body shell and weld away

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/29/17 4:31 p.m.
Patrick said:

Weld doors from inside to make no paintwork. Use some steel scraps to bridge gap from door shell to body shell and weld away

Good idea!

Andy - those wheels are sweet. Also, how about someone's torn sailboat sail for a tonneau cover with a sweet nascar paintjob already started?

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/29/17 4:56 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

How about a section of old rubber roof with the strips to hold it down? 

But seriously this misfire is driving me insane. Why did it have to start yesterday? 

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
9/29/17 5:19 p.m.

Does it throw a code?

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2RtxVlyQhyv7GmOC8sA41DcFiBaJnlXfUijJawCc63ENXwjQeKtWJwYIiA9jkeaw