AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
9/23/24 10:46 p.m.

So I'm no stranger to sketchy stuff...

But SWIMBO has taken a liking to me and is rather insistent that I not die. What's worse is she's also forbidden greivious injury. She never let's me do anything I want.

I will be dropping the rear end and fuel tank out of my Z28 and likely replacing the fuel lines, torque arm, driveshaft and trans crossmember while I'm down there.

I was just going to chock the front wheels and lift the back but the extra space up front would be really nice. The car will likely remain in this position for most of the winter.

So I was thinking about putting the front wheels on cribs and lifting the back onto some tall 12 inch jackstands.

the race ramps seem to be the hot ticket but at $200 a set they are too pricy for my stingy self (How much would you pay to not be killed by a falling car? you ask. less than $200)

Are there other options? Are the homebuilt 2x4 ones guaranteed death? is putting the front wheels on chocks even a good idea given that there is no way to stop them from rolling? Why do hot dogs come in packs of 10?

These questions and more are what I now expect you to answer for me. For free.

No Time
No Time UberDork
9/23/24 10:54 p.m.

I can't comment on the home built cribbing, but here's my thoughts on the race ramps and their cost. 

When I'm concerned about price for something safety oriented, I'll typically compare the cost of the item to the cost of the urgent care or ER visit if I'm cheap and something goes wrong. 

Usually the safety equipment wins out. Especially if the risk as particularly severe, like death by falling objects. 

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/23/24 10:55 p.m.

I think wooden wheel cribs are what you are looking for.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/23/24 11:28 p.m.

As for homemade cribbing, I've put entire houses on 2x4 and 4x4 cribbing so it's not gonna be instant death from weight at least

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nf4F1R7KvmZgCIQ4hwHTxJ5aQjpRuAlE5Rxus3mo43YcrHj1Ygbv1a8vmVBc5qUz