1 ... 3 4 5 6
bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
6/21/10 10:53 a.m.

"And what exactly are those needs? Original poster didn't state what they are in this thread. "

Well first I apologize, as I I didn't mean the original poster, I meant Vanilla Sky. He asked about the miles on the RL he's looking at, and he appeared to be familiar with the RL. Other than that, he seemed to know why he was considering it, since he didn't mention anything else. I think it's reasonable to assume that if he's familar with RL's and is considering buying one, he doesn't need the extra load or towing capacity of a full frame truck, some of which have tow ratings no better than the RL anyway. He did, BTW, state after your post that it had more than enough towing capacity for what he needed.

"And why did you quote me and not the other dudes posting pics of there tow rigs?[\i]"

I was already replying to you, so I just tacked it on. It wasn't practical to quote everyone. Don't take it personally. I did say "everyone".

"Its ok to compare a Toyota to a Ridgeline and not a 20 year old Ford and a 8 year old Dodge."

No, not really, but there's a big difference between a Toyota and a Dodge 2500 Diesel. The toyota is about as close to the RL as you can get, and the Dodge is about as far away as you can get.

So listen, of your three issues above, one had to do with you and the other two were directed at everyone, okay?

CaptainSpaulding
CaptainSpaulding New Reader
6/21/10 12:44 p.m.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
6/21/10 1:20 p.m.

The third or fourth comment:

914Driver said: Thanks guys, but I was looking for something impartial, less emotional than the six page thread.

Headed to page six.

Reread every post before pontifficating. I was curious about a DD that tows, I know "it's not a real truck" is an issue and everyone's got an opinion. I have too many myself.

Lets all throttle back a bit.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
6/21/10 1:33 p.m.

I don't get the hate. It's a truck, ok? My good friend has one that tows a 2-horse trailer, no problems. So can my Dodge Dakota. I probably wouldn't use either to tow a huge fricking mobile home. I've driven a tough offroad course with the Ridgeline, it handled it no problem, mud, ravines and logs... despite not having a locking diff. I thought it handled great on the highway, comfortable as a daily. About the only drawback in my opinion is its looks. But then, I don't find Brad Pitt attractive either.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
6/21/10 1:34 p.m.

Hey... what's with the italic?

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
6/21/10 1:38 p.m.

In reply to Lesley:

Hey, what's with the double posts?

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
6/21/10 1:51 p.m.

Italics fixed

I'd like my award now, please

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
6/21/10 1:55 p.m.

And whassup with the huge white spot?

I havent driven one, but rode in one. Those aerocynamic sail bed rails are cool and all, but you won't see the little Civic hiding under one. Blind spots?

Dan

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
6/21/10 2:22 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to Lesley: Hey, what's with the double posts?

Fixed

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/21/10 2:56 p.m.
CaptainSpaulding wrote: Its ok to compare a Toyota to a Ridgeline and not a 20 year old Ford and a 8 year old Dodge.

Somebody specifically asked abut towing with a Tacoma.

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
6/21/10 3:38 p.m.

I like the "It's good , but could never replace my Cummins 7100 with 9 turbos and 1700 ft Lbs of Tq"

some of these comments are the equivalent to...

I really like the Dodge Ram Diesel , but I don't think I could tow a 53 Ft semi trailer with it.

Ya Think?

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
6/21/10 3:53 p.m.

I think the point was that if you're pushing the capabilities of a full-size truck, you don't have any business looking at a Ranger/Ridgeline/Tacoma/Frontier/Other mid-sized truck, or something close to that.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/21/10 6:33 p.m.

bravenrace wrote: The best internal combustion engine ever.

seriously the dumbest thing I've ever read..

Really dumb. They are good engines, but .. Get off the motorized penis extension bandwagon.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/21/10 6:56 p.m.
JeepinMatt wrote: I think the point was that if you're pushing the capabilities of a full-size truck, you don't have any business looking at a Ranger/Ridgeline/Tacoma/Frontier/Other mid-sized truck, or something close to that.

I think the point is that you can purchase a volvo 610 put a cassette toilet in it and register it as an RV, because seriously.. When I've got a few bags of mulch to move around.. I need an M11 cummins with 1450 ft-lb of torque and the pc of mind that I'm at 1/500 of GVWR...

Cause you actually can buy volvo's and freight shakers cheaper than you can get a dodge ram..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo-VNL-Sleeper-Semi-Truck-VED-12-465-HP-Autoshift-/330443148685?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Commercial_Trucks&hash=item4ceff24d8d

and I thought this was GRM...

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
6/21/10 7:58 p.m.

Since this thread has been revived, I'll add additional comments. First, it isn't "hate", politics or any other such nonsense. Frankly, the Midge provides no benefits to anyone that needs a truck-not a roofless station wagon or minivan. Additionally, it has a number of "features" that are simply poor design. Those angled bed side panels are poor design. For the sake of "style"(and I use the term extremely loosely when referencing the Midge),they make it near impossible to reach over the bed to access the contents. Of course, that works in perfect concert with the raised bed(gotta have that neat, inaccessible trunk). Do folks realize how silly they sound when they happily proclaim, the Midge will hold everything I need-all I have to do is attach a bed extender and assorted nets and contraptions. The dash design is as hideous as the exterior. What happened to the Honda that used to create clean, efficient, attractive designs? Some of their current offerings are the ugliest vehicles on the road. Seen a new Acura or Crosstour lately-I'd mention the Midge again, but that would be piling on. I guess when you have produced a number of great vehicles in the past , you get a pass on the new frightpigs. "Oh, but my Midge drives just like a car and its fuel economy isn't bad". Maybe those statements held a bit more weight before the advent of the latest generation of real trucks. Plenty of full size trucks ride as good or better than the Midge, return mileage, have attractive, spacious interiors and don't require you to drive around with a bag on your head. "But, the Midge has just turned over ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND MILES! Yikes! stop the presses. Considering that two of my shop trucks/vans have well over 200K on them(and still run great), pardon me if I'm not impressed. Heck, 500 dollar Volvos routinely run over 300k. Modern vehicles have the longevity thing figured out. Finally, some must really be getting sensitive in their defense of the Midge to resort to that tired old saw, "you need a big truck to make up for your package deficiencies". Really? I wonder who'd really come up short in the package comparo. I'm guessing the Midge Man.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
6/21/10 9:19 p.m.

I can see people who drive through the city or on tight roads wanting a smaller pickup, but I'd sure like to find a GM truck with Quadrasteer...

VanillaSky
VanillaSky Reader
6/21/10 9:23 p.m.

My recently deceased Nissan Hardbody with the 2.4 will tow everything I need.

I like a bed. I don't want to travel with a motor inside of an SUV. Just not my thing. I'm not a fan of having to tow a trailer to the junkyard just to carry grungy parts home. The only other truck I'd look into would be an Avalanche. Has pretty much the same looks as the RL. Tows about the same, gets pretty close to the same fuel economy.

The reason (I feel, at least) that people don't buy RLs anymore is because the people that want one have one, and don't want to replace it with a new one to get a vehicle with only incremental updates. If they built a smaller RL with an available I4 and an optional V6, they'd have an easier time selling them.

CaptainSpaulding
6/21/10 9:44 p.m.
ignorant wrote: bravenrace wrote: The best internal combustion engine ever. seriously the dumbest thing I've ever read.. Really dumb. They are good engines, but .. Get off the motorized penis extension bandwagon.

That was me and your really dumb. Can't even quote the correct person with your dumb over played penis extension remarks.

So dumb in fact that you cant take a joke.

CaptainSpaulding
6/21/10 9:52 p.m.
AutoXR wrote: I like the "It's good , but could never replace my Cummins 7100 with 9 turbos and 1700 ft Lbs of Tq" some of these comments are the equivalent to... I really like the Dodge Ram Diesel , but I don't think I could tow a 53 Ft semi trailer with it. Ya Think?

Cool. Problem is that silly Ridgeline owners think they bought a full size truck and then go out and pull stupid E36 M3 like this and endanger the lives of every one else on the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5_T0JFMk84

I suppose the comments that this Ridgeline owner was saying are equivalent to........

I love my Ridgeline it can pull anything I want. After all it has Honda reliability and all. Oh and it drives like a Accord and the resale value is lot better than those junky domestics.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/22/10 5:10 a.m.
CaptainSpaulding wrote: That was me and your really dumb.

http://www.elearnenglishlanguage.com/difficulties/youryoure.html

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/22/10 6:12 a.m.
ignorant wrote: Cause you actually can buy volvo's and freight shakers cheaper than you can get a dodge ram.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo-VNL-Sleeper-Semi-Truck-VED-12-465-HP-Autoshift-/330443148685?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Commercial_Trucks&hash=item4ceff24d8d and I thought this was GRM...

Don't say that too loud or you'll ruin it. I have a few bags of mulch to move an some topsoil to pick up and thought this would be perfect http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1989-International-Dump-Truck-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45f37ef38aQQitemZ300437926794QQptZCommercialQ5fTrucks

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
6/22/10 6:32 a.m.
ignorant wrote: bravenrace wrote: The best internal combustion engine ever. seriously the dumbest thing I've ever read.. Really dumb. They are good engines, but .. Get off the motorized penis extension bandwagon.

That wasn't me, as another poster stated. How about an apology, "ignorant"?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/22/10 7:17 a.m.
ignorant wrote:
JeepinMatt wrote: I think the point was that if you're pushing the capabilities of a full-size truck, you don't have any business looking at a Ranger/Ridgeline/Tacoma/Frontier/Other mid-sized truck, or something close to that.
I think the point is that you can purchase a volvo 610 put a cassette toilet in it and register it as an RV, because seriously.. When I've got a few bags of mulch to move around.. I need an M11 cummins with 1450 ft-lb of torque and the pc of mind that I'm at 1/500 of GVWR... Cause you actually can buy volvo's and freight shakers cheaper than you can get a dodge ram.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo-VNL-Sleeper-Semi-Truck-VED-12-465-HP-Autoshift-/330443148685?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Commercial_Trucks&hash=item4ceff24d8d and I thought this was GRM...

Those Volvos are pretty damn sweet. There are some folks over on Pirate4x4 that made a damn nice DIY toter out of a Volvo tractor that they paid $8500 for.

miatame
miatame Reader
6/22/10 7:53 a.m.

WOAH WOAH WOAH...WAIT....WHAT?!

Marjorie Suddard wrote: we were nervous after problems with our Odyssey

The Suddard's own(ed) a minivan?! Say it ain't so!

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
6/22/10 7:54 a.m.

In reply to DILYSI Dave:

I used to work for Volvo Truck at their Ohio assembly plant. What most people don't realize is that their diesel engines are by far the best out there. We actually had a lot more problems with Cummins engines than anything else. We used Cummins, Volvo, Detroit diesel and Caterpillar engines in our trucks. Volvos were more advanced, quieter, and more powerful than the others. I'm not biased towards Volvo either, as it wasn't the best place to work, but that's the truth.

1 ... 3 4 5 6

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
AJIPaHWwXl2XdXOohJBYzIXXwL0tKBss8Lhh9OUwipA0muA5oWOvdOb4opHxqeD6