Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
11/30/15 9:15 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad:

I'm glad he replaced the "crack pipe"

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
11/30/15 9:37 a.m.

In reply to Nick (LUCAS) Comstock: Even more important, he has two different pics with a finger covering the license plate (why do people feel a need to hide a plate that is on display for everyone to see all day every day?)

Coldsnap
Coldsnap HalfDork
11/30/15 9:43 a.m.

Right, haha. I never got that..

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/30/15 9:46 a.m.
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock wrote: In reply to Stefan (Not Bruce): The Toyota was serviced at the dealer. It was my mother in law's car. It had full service records. I'm trying to remember but I think it was an 02 maybe. It was out of warrantee. Had around 75k on it I think.

Wife's 01 Highlander is essentially a jacked up Camry with the 2.4L 4-cylinder VVTi engine. Its been rock solid for 200K. FiL has an 02 Highlander with the V6 and his has been rock solid for 180K. A good friend has a Corolla of the same vintage without any issues as well.

Our Highlander has had nothing but synthetic in it since its first oil change. The other two have had, um, less than careful oil change considerations, but are still perfectly happy.

I'd say someone dropped the ball on yours along the way, perhaps it was accidentally run low on oil or overheated? Or it was just a undetected defect in manufacturing. Unfortunately, E36 M3 happens and that isn't something I'd toss an entire manufacturer out the window over.

Its taken years for me to do so with Chrysler, but that's been a long time coming, but I don't have an irrational hatred for their products, even after spending a small fortune keeping their rattling death traps going for way too long before finally leaving their torture behind.

Look at the products, not the companies, nothing is the same in the automotive world it once was.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
11/30/15 9:54 a.m.

Since you like Korean cars, what about a Hyundai Accent SE?

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/30/15 9:59 a.m.

You can get the Kia Forte coupe (sorry, "Koup") with a turbo. That might be a good option.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
11/30/15 11:12 a.m.

In reply to Stefan (Not Bruce):

I am by no means implying that a Toyota product is unreliable. It certainly was a one off fluke situation. I am saying that the only Toyota products that have any appeal at all to me are too expensive and certainly not suited to my needs/wants at this time.

I like the idea of the Saturn red line. And I have been researching the aforementioned Kia cars.

Like I said. I'm a long way off from buying anything and I'll likely change my mind a couple hundred more times between now and then. Despite the negatives a GTI is still high in the list though.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap HalfDork
11/30/15 11:26 a.m.

Buy a GTI today

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
11/30/15 11:48 a.m.

This is a bit out of left field, but you may want to drive a slightly used BMW 128i. At least as fun and teutonic as the GTI, and with the N/A BMW motor, less chances of things going wrong.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap HalfDork
11/30/15 11:57 a.m.

Sell the child, get a 128i!

Seriously though if you think the GTI is a "drivers" car, go drive a 128i. It will make you hate the GTI.

jv8
jv8 GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/30/15 12:32 p.m.

LA LA LA (covering ears)

I really need the back seats and hatch...

If I didn't... well, the whole point of a hot hatch is lost... I would be all over the 1 series.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/30/15 3:50 p.m.

it's a shame we never got the 1 series hatch here in the states.. it would have stolen all the GTI sales

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
11/30/15 4:25 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: it's a shame we never got the 1 series hatch here in the states.. it would have stolen all the GTI sales

Yes it would have. I visited Ireland a few years ago and rented a diesel BMW 1 series hatch. It was a turbodiesel, so it wasn't dog slow, it handled great and was a fantastic car. The hatches also look better than the sedans. I would have bought one in a heartbeat.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
11/30/15 4:34 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

If the budget stretches that far they are definitely number one on the list. I see it as the modern version of my beloved E21s. I am hardwired for RWD and don't know how to properly drive a FWD car. It's a shame we don't have more small RWD coupes to choose from. The frisbee twins are in consideration too, but I'm a BMW fanboi. That price range would be at the very tip top of my budget if it's feasible at all.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
11/30/15 4:41 p.m.
pointofdeparture wrote: You can get the Kia Forte coupe (sorry, "Koup") with a turbo. That might be a good option.

A tune alone finds 44hp to the front wheels. Or you could go the older cars and get the 2.4L "big block". I can attest that the stock struts/shocks are complete crap, but swap in my pattented Bilstoni kit with a W/L rear bar and BOOM..... you'll be running circles around those Germans! Granted, mostly because they'll be broken and in the shop and yours won't be....

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
11/30/15 4:58 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

I was going to ask about the suspension. The wife's Elantra bottoms the rear end hard on occasion. I really don't want to do a lot of parts swapping.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
11/30/15 5:06 p.m.
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock wrote: In reply to Bobzilla: I was going to ask about the suspension. The wife's Elantra bottoms the rear end hard on occasion. I really don't want to do a lot of parts swapping.

Mostly shocks/struts issue. The Koreans used to use soft springs and good struts. Then they went to stiffer springs and crappy struts. Some day they will put the good springs with the good struts and everyone will be happy.

AS for your wife's car, the rear suspension travel is VERY short. Throw some Koni sports in back, cut 1/2" off the bumpstop and you'll be surprised at how much of a difference it makes.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
9/26/16 3:43 p.m.

Back from the dead to say: Thanks for keeping me from making a mistake on a mk4 GTI. I was really tempted by a cheap 2004 1.8t with only 100k miles until I decided to hunt up advice here and found this thread. Never mind! I'll keep looking.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/26/16 11:23 p.m.

You can find the Mk4 pretty cheap. There's a reason. The new ones still entice me a bit, though.

ChrisHachet
ChrisHachet New Reader
9/27/16 7:31 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: You can find the Mk4 pretty cheap. There's a reason. The new ones still entice me a bit, though.

they entice me a bit also. However, i think that the vW corporate culture and philosophy that resulted in dieselgate seems to filter through to all of their products. And I do not see that changing. I would gladly take a Fiesta St over a GTI.

Focus ST to GTI would be much tougher, as I do like the suspension tuning of the GTI much better than the Focus ST. MK 7 GTI is nice, but not sure I would put up with VW timing chain and other 2.0T issues to live with one.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
9/27/16 7:44 a.m.
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock wrote: Two problems with the Focus and Fiesta. No two door And, Ford. I'm really trying hard to avoid a Japanese car. I keep finding Civics and Integras and RSXs that would fill the same need for good prices but I just have ZERO interest in owning one. I'm scared of MINIs and there is not much else out there.

1) Ford is not Japanese, it's Mexican
2) Yamaha is, and the quality is typical of Japanese automakers. I believe you have had a good experience there recently ;)

Do not run from the light

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
10/4/16 5:03 p.m.

In reply to Huckleberry:

I think you misunderstood. No Fords. And no Japanese. I did not say that Ford was Japanese.

The Yamaha is excellent at everything. I still don't want a Japanese car.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DdQHdymkJcFrPq16pv6pDfeNvlqqnRyuKWZh9zOG5BA1LjN2qt1wZQ3sI2s60jaz