WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/25/23 4:05 p.m.

Helping a friend of the family with an (unrelated) issue on their 100k 2018/19? Subaru Forrester thing with the 2.5L engine.   I noticed the AC sounds like the bearings are on their way out. 

I think this is a sign of imminent failure on the compressor side, but I figured I'd throw it out there for you other peeps to help lend an ear.  

What do you guys think?

Note:  The phone amplified the noise quite a bit, to more of what it sounds like if I put a mechanics stethoscope on the body of the compressor.  It definitely sounds accurate, but it drops out the background noise which is kinda nice.

As a followup, if this is the compressor failing, do you think I could get away with having the system bled down and then just replacing the compressor, or is the evaporator/condensor/orifice valve/etc. going to need replaced as well?

Thanks!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/23 8:39 p.m.

Oof, compressor.

If you DIY, look for gray schmutz in the high pressure line and compressor outlet.  Or outright chunks.  If it is clean, good to go for just replacing the compressor.  If it is not, technically you need to replace the condenser and flush the evaporator and lines, because the condenser has hundreds of passages about a hair's width in size and there is no way to clean one out that is cheaper than just replacing it.  Bright side is that it tends to filter the bigger chunks.

I have had very bad luck with replacement expansion valves lately, both aftermarket and dealership, so I will suggest taking a chance and flushing that rather than replacing.

On that note, if you have gauges, or a scantool that can read the A/C pressure PID, see what the high side pressure is.  The expansion valves like to stick shut. Which causes the low side to go down to a vacuum and suck air into the system past the Schraeder valve, and the high side will go right on up to 400psi or so.  I have even seen them cause the engine to stall.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/25/23 8:57 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Thanks for confirming the hypothesis, Pete!  I'll try to hook my gauges up.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/23 9:30 p.m.

Compressor for sure. Personally, I'd replace everything, orifice, drier, and condenser. I would also replace every o-ring and seal I could find.  Rock Auto frequently has the parts for not a lot of money.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dtsl5jyB7NNVjqqn5ShOIjTNrCHjrrA58zif0mf70RjNRYTIOPnW8H67oFA6TeU3