1 2
Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/19/12 9:25 p.m.

Let me just throw an unsolicited plug in for Hagerty Insurance. I would recommend that you check them out. I usually drive something that doesn't fit the mold for "traditional" car insurance. Basically that left me with just PL & PD and prayer. Since I am looking at the purchase of another toy, I went to their site and got a quote. What a surprise! VERY affordable stated value insurance with a bunch of other perks included. I recommend that you see what they have to offer. Their ads are in Classic Motorsports but we don't see them on the GRM side. Not sure why. They are car people.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
5/19/12 9:34 p.m.

My 70 Opel GT is insured with them.

DrBoost
DrBoost UberDork
5/19/12 10:02 p.m.

My mini was for many years. Great company, no restrictions that I wouldn't put on the vehicle myself.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
5/20/12 7:18 a.m.

They are car people, and we use them. Super to deal with--just plain nice people, and how often can you say that?

Margie

kazoospec
kazoospec Reader
5/20/12 8:08 a.m.

Margie, Can you please convince them for me that Miatas are "classic" cars? Their insurance fit my needs to the proverbial "T", but they very politely told me my car wasn't really "the sort of car they insure". Not sure if it was the make or the book value (about $5,500), but it brought back memories along the lines of "Would you like to go out with me? No . . . ok. Well, I, uh, guess I'll see ya in math class . . . "

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
5/20/12 9:11 a.m.

In reply to kazoospec:

My 89 Shelby Dakota did not fit their parameters either. They told me it was just a truck with stickers. If I chopped it, lowered it or modified it someway, they would have considered it a custom car and I could have insured it through Hagerty. I went with American Collecters. They even insured my 84 Charger 2.2.

corytate
corytate Dork
5/20/12 10:32 a.m.

WOW very affordable. just plugged in the z and its only like 200 a year

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
5/20/12 11:15 a.m.

They do my Esprit and Dr.Linda's Europa. The Europa is still a long way from road ready, but I leave it on the rolls as the insurance is only like a bill a year and dropping/restarting it is more trouble that that. Geico started screwing me over on the Esprit, as in "we're dropping you because we don't do Lotus" despite having insured the car for five years running. Just pushed me to Hagerty, who will most likely get my bike insurance this year instead of Geico, as Dr.L's bike is now 25 years old and qualifies as well as my 26 year old bike.

PS122
PS122 GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/22/12 8:07 a.m.
Moparman wrote: In reply to kazoospec: I went with American Collecters. They even insured my 84 Charger 2.2.

Same here. I had a 35 year old Ford insured with Hagerty for several years but after their refusal to insure my CRX, I switched to American Collectors. I liked both companies but American Collectors gets the nod when is comes to insuring later model cars.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
5/22/12 8:23 a.m.

I didn't have any trouble getting my '88 325is insured with Hagerty two years ago, but I did have an existing account history with them from a Spitfire and I do have two additional normally insured vehicles.

It may depend some on what state you're in. When I called to add my BMW, I jokingly asked about insuring our '07 MINI convertible, since we basically used it like a classic. The rep said they couldn't do it in PA, but since the car was registered in NJ, it may have been possible. Unfortunately, my g/f (whose name the car was registered to and had to make the formal inquiry) never persued it further.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/22/12 8:24 a.m.

I've had my Mustang and a Porsche insured with Hagerty and they have been a pleasure to work with.

I did inquire about insuring a Miata and a newer Porsche and they said no, but I fully expected that and it wasn't a big deal to me. It sounded as if they were on the bubble with the 2006 Porsche, but I didn't have a really good idea as to how many miles I would be driving it per year.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
5/22/12 12:44 p.m.

What people don't often realize is that it's good for real race cars that never see public roads. I have the LeGrand insured for stated value for towing, paddock and garage storage. Something stupidly cheap like $130 for the year.

Per

dculberson
dculberson Dork
5/22/12 1:47 p.m.

Hagerty won't insure a car with a roll cage though, will they?

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
5/22/12 1:53 p.m.

They probably would for coverage that Per described, but there would be a strict exclusion in the policy for street use.

FranktheTank
FranktheTank Reader
4/27/13 6:28 a.m.

Had to bring this thread back up.

I recently began insuring my Met with them. Super nice quick and painless.

220 a year for my 62 Metropolitan at guaranteed 7,500 (which I will increase after I finish it but needed my trailer covered)

Also 300 a year for my 70 F100 at 25k guaranteed value.

Farm Bureau was ticked when I dropped my useless liability that was costing me more money!

Anyone ever file a claim through them? I only have one friend that has but the other person was at fault.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
4/27/13 7:46 a.m.

I have three cars with them right now. Hard to complain about $291/yr.

That said the E30's eventual replacement with get std insurance regardless of age since it'll live outside and serve as an occasional DD.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
4/27/13 7:54 a.m.

Mrs RMD recently switched from Allstate to Hagerty on her'81 Z28. Previously, her premium was $100-some per month for just regular ol' car insurance. Now, she has ridiculous agreed value at $40 large and its a buck a day. Yes, $365, annually.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
4/27/13 8:10 a.m.

Just added my 79 Cressida to my policy along side my 74 REPU, and 79 RX-7. Great people to deal with! Upped my coverage on the REPU to $7500 just because I don't think I could replace it for the $5000 I had on it before.

They told me that the Cressida wasn't a car they would normally insure, but after I sent a picture or two they were fine with it.

I am actually someone who has had a claim with them, and it was nothing short of perfect to deal with them. I had a car for 6 days when it was totaled by an inattentive driver on a phone, and they paid me $25000 for it without blinking an eye.

viking
viking New Reader
4/28/13 7:30 a.m.

Had a claim, had the check in one week. No hassle, great company---

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/28/13 7:42 a.m.

I tried to insure my Mini with them but they refused since my daily driver is older than 20 years. 1990 Miata.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
4/28/13 8:28 a.m.

I've tried to get my CRX (a-x and TT) ins by them .... no garage ... no ins....

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
4/28/13 8:45 a.m.

Do they do a drivers license check? I recently got a ticket with points.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
4/28/13 9:02 a.m.

I had a claim on the Esprit. Total loss. Had a check in a month.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Reader
5/7/13 4:33 p.m.

question for anyone that has hagerty's.

They said they wouldn't insure it because I said I would use it for Autocross.

First they said they wouldn't cover it AT the autocross, then they put me on hold and came back and said they wouldn't cover me at all.

With the cars you have with them, do you not autocross/track them, or do you just not tell them about it?

Josh
Josh SuperDork
5/7/13 4:43 p.m.

Hmm, interesting. I was starting to wonder if they'd cover an 11 year old S2000, but considering that the primary usage of the car is traveling to and from and competing in autocross events, your post makes me cautious. I only have the car on the road about 7 months out of the year up here, and Allstate's price has been creeping up lately - maybe the car is becoming more accessible to kids who are sending them backwards into trees or something.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dqmTONQWaw8jz3oGBnk2Yx4mvdDEFOsjVYLCL1vM236nYTDMOvI94XuppbI4J0IL