mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/18/17 3:46 p.m.

In order to be a good person I need to draw down a vacuum on the R63 AC system before filling. Harbor freight has a couple of options, the cheap one that runs off compressed air, and the more expensive electric one. Any opinions? I already have a gauge set.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
5/18/17 3:55 p.m.

The cheap one that runs off compressed air is super noisy and sucks. Err, it sucks as in vacuum but not deeply enough or quickly enough, so it also sucks as in is not good at its job, too.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/18/17 3:58 p.m.

So the electric one sucks less at sucking?

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
5/18/17 3:59 p.m.

I've been using the cheap one for years with good results. I have one of the electric ones too that I bought with an unbelievable coupon figuring that the air one wouldn't last, but I haven't even taken it out of the box.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/18/17 4:02 p.m.

I have both. You need to pull a hard vacuum for about 30 minutes to boil out any moisture. Can your compressor keep up that long? The electric one definitely works though.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
5/18/17 4:21 p.m.

I have both, well the HF air powered one, and an eBay version of the electric one.

Buy the electric one.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
5/18/17 4:21 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: So the electric one sucks less at sucking?

That I do not know. I ended up with a Gast multi-stage lab pump from a friend of mine that works miracles. But it would usually cost much more than the electric HF pump, even used.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
5/18/17 4:27 p.m.

I've had the lower-end electric one for many years and never had any trouble with it.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/18/17 4:31 p.m.

I have the electric one. It works perfectly and has for almost 10 years on everything from cars to my house, to multiple mini-split systems.

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/18/17 4:34 p.m.

Another vote for the electric one.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
5/18/17 6:24 p.m.

I have a similar electric one from Fleabay - works great. Don't forget the compressor oil (vacuum rated), as mine came empty

mrap1000
mrap1000 New Reader
5/18/17 7:47 p.m.

I've done a few automotive HVAC repairs. I had the air-powered cheap one, but found it couldn't keep a system evacuated long enough to boil off the residual moisture.

I bought this $59 electric beauty off Amazon:

Linky

It's been bulletproof. Will evacuate an automotive system in less than 3 min, and more important, maintain it there.

t25torx
t25torx Dork
5/18/17 7:54 p.m.

I used the cheapy venturi syle Harbor Frieght unit on the C55 AMG when I replaced the compressor on it. Worked fine, but then again I do have an 80 gallon compressor so it didn't take me that long, but it is noisy for sure.

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
5/19/17 9:12 a.m.

I just picked up the air powered unit last week for /her/ Dakota. Drew down the system to -30 in less than a minute.

I don't know how much difference it makes, but it was running off my 60 gal 10.5 cfpm compressor with 3/8" lines and high flow fittings, so air supply was plentiful.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RZseA6q5WBuX0y4kdZRioJifE06asRJsXlf73DJQDJmGSzZLsHsBzvLg3JAefEqv