Tac1
Tac1 New Reader
10/15/18 11:54 a.m.

Can anyone compare the steering feel between these two cars? Both in terms of communication and steering weight. I'm thinking about selling my FiST for an ND in a couple months, but over-boosted steering can be a deal breaker for me. From what I've read it sounds like Mazda is moving in the wrong direction with their steering feel, but is it still better than the FiST, or at least as good? I will definitely be test driving, but just doing some initial research right now.

Thanks.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
10/15/18 12:30 p.m.

Sad to say i've driven neither, but this is a particularly enticing one to bench race. These are such rare sorts of vehicles in the modern north american automotive landscape, being small and focused on handling and fun. Definitely let us know what you find out..

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
10/15/18 12:32 p.m.

I haven't driven a FiST, but my take on the ND's steering is that it's very quick, accurate and fun. The feel is not as good as my RX-8s and the FRS' is a little better still, but I probably enjoy the ND's more.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/15/18 1:12 p.m.
Tac1 said:

Can anyone compare the steering feel between these two cars? Both in terms of communication and steering weight. I'm thinking about selling my FiST for an ND in a couple months, but over-boosted steering can be a deal breaker for me. From what I've read it sounds like Mazda is moving in the wrong direction with their steering feel, but is it still better than the FiST, or at least as good? I will definitely be test driving, but just doing some initial research right now.

Thanks.

I drive a Focus ST and I believe our steering has that heavier off center feel. The ND steering is not as good as the hydraulic systems like the twins lke Snrub said, but it's very easy to place the car with but is different from our cars. I will consider a ND2 with the new telescoping rack at some point in the future. the steering vs seating position was my major hit against the ND1 I owned.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/18 1:38 p.m.

FYI - the ND steering was improved with the introduction of the RF. The soft top got the improved rack in 2018. So 2016-17 soft top steering is different from all other ND steering. The new setup is better at on-center feel and has a bit more weight.

Also, it gets better when the car is properly aligned. Brand new off the truck is not properly aligned.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zZC2hDC0AqXXLwSo2i3nQ8rp1tkVahJcTQxGxfQVEER4u0RvJNheIHZZNsIJ1cWX