1 2 3 4
irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
1/8/14 11:07 p.m.

Background: Wife wants a 3-row vehicle (with an adult-sized third row) to replace our 4Runner, which is admittedly small inside for family trips with the kids, dogs, etc.

I have a need for occasional towing of an e30 (either my rallycross car or our Chumpcar), so this has caused a major dilemma (and major arguments as we look at cars). I'm not interested in renting trucks for towing. I want to have my own vehicle properly set up for towing.

Let me say first off that a full-size fan (E350, etc) is out of the question.

So that leaves us down to minivans and LARGE SUVs that have big third rows (Sequoia, Tahoe, etc).

I will also mention that the wife strongly prefers the minivan since 95% of the time she will be driving it, and 98% of the time it won't be towing anything. So even though something like a Sequoia is very nice, I fear that once she test-drives one she's not going to be happy with the 6k heft, and the fuel mileage is admittedly lousy....5-8mpg worse than a hard-driven Odyssey.

THe popular crossovers are ruled out by her for various reasons as ugly, too small 3rd row, whatever, and some also by me for low tow capacity, ugly, etc...so those are not in the cards. A crossover is just a compromised minivan or compromised "real" SUV anyhow, IMO.

Now, pretty much every minivan has a tow capacity of 3500lbs, which I find odd since my POS old 1987 Voyager could tow that much with 170hp and tiny brakes and wheels. So why does an Odyssey or Sienna, which are long-wheelbase, 250+hp engines, much larger brakes, and 1000lb load rating for cargo, have such a low tow capacity? Is it so it doesn't pilfer lucrative SUV sales, or is there more to it? I've been doing a lot of reading on RV trailer (airstream) forums, and seems a ton of poeple with minivans are towing well over the manufacturer's stated max, with the vans rigged with tranny coolers, trailer brakes, load-distributing custom hitches, etc.

So as much as I really despise the idea of owning a minivan (it's the last surrender to suburban boringness, in my book), in the interest of keeping the wife happy.....what think the collective wisdom here of setting one up to tow ~4500lbs on occasion?

My options here are: 1. Get a sequoia, which is thirsty and big, but otherwise does fit our collective needs in all manners, including reliability, space, and towing. 2. Get a minivan and try to maximize its tow capability + maybe find a light aluminum trailer to keep the overall weight as close to 3500-4000 as possible if towing an e30. 3. Get a minivan and just buy a beater tow rig (with the additional maintenance, insurance, etc that it carries while only using it very occasionally). I don't really like this option since I have 5 vehicles here at my suburban house already.....but it's still an option

I personally want #1 for many reasons, but if she doesn't like the 08 Sequoia we're driving on Sunday I'm not going to press the issue. It's the only large SUV that we can (borderline) agree on and afford. My wife still resents that I "picked" the 4Runner, even though she says she likes it and it's been 100% trouble-free for 5 years of ownership; and that I am trying to "pick" this car for my own purposes (as well as hers, though she doesn't realize it). So, eliminating resentment is never a bad thing.

I know I won't get any semblance of a unanimous answer here, but I'm finiding myself thinking about giving in to her wishes and trying to make lemonade over what I perceive as lemons (minivan). e.g. #2 on my list. Figure an aluminum trailer maybe around 1000-1500lbs with a ~2500lb car on it?

Thoughts? berkeleying minivan... .I spent my whole childhood riding on damn minivan bench seats. Do I finally surrender to inevitability?

Alternatively, tell me why I don't want a minivan and why it's not that great - particularly a newer Odyssey :)

4Msfam
4Msfam Reader
1/9/14 2:17 a.m.

Have you seen the Honda of Alabama racing Oddessey? Also, a fine magazine called GRM uses the same platform for their towing needs. See their Honda Pilot reviews. I also have a couple of Airstreams.. CanAmRV in Toronto seems to be the go too for Canadians towing with minivans. They sell beefed up hitches to strengthen the rear end for heavier loads. their customers always seem happy. As does GRM with their Pilot. Keep the wife happy.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/9/14 4:46 a.m.

Happy wife, happy life. Let her pick the minivan and pick yourself an aluminum trailer.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/9/14 5:13 a.m.

IMHO, the brakes and transmission on the previous-gen Ody ('05-07) would be completely inadequate for the towing you're describing. Starting in 07, they received a better transmission from the Ridgeline, but I still wouldn't chance the brakes. I believe the brakes on a Pilot/Ridgeline are significantly larger.

I know some will kill me on here for saying this, but GRM had good experiences with their Ridgeline, provided you're realistic about your expectations (which I believe you are). I believe the Pilot is mechanically similar.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/9/14 5:54 a.m.

My experience has been to let her pick what she wants w/vehicle, color & options.

I tow an open bow speed boat with my '04 Silhouette minivan but it has the tow pkg w/class III hitch, Trans Go shift kit & very large trans cooler. Boat is a 16' I/O and with the trailer weights 2,700 lbs. I'm rated at 3,500. There is no way I can pull any more than that without trailer brakes. It just doesn't feel safe IMO.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
1/9/14 5:59 a.m.

Don't hate me as I DID read your entire post but a Trailblazer isn't a good all-round compromise?

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
1/9/14 6:44 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: Don't hate me as I DID read your entire post but a Trailblazer isn't a good all-round compromise?

Wife apparently doesn't want another SUV...

IMHO, tow-ratings inthe US have less to do with vehicle capability and more to do with CYA. Manufacturers in the US have to protect themselves from moronic owners.

So with that in mind, get a minivan with a towing package, a trailer brake controller and a lightweight trailer.

Of course, you're getting this from a single middle-aged guy who replaced his E30 with a minivan... ...but other than the gas mileage (21 mpg when you're used to ~50 mpg is hard to swallow), it's been good for the past couple of months.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
1/9/14 6:47 a.m.
4Msfam wrote: Have you seen the Honda of Alabama racing Oddessey? Also, a fine magazine called GRM uses the same platform for their towing needs. See their Honda Pilot reviews. I also have a couple of Airstreams.. CanAmRV in Toronto seems to be the go too for Canadians towing with minivans. They sell beefed up hitches to strengthen the rear end for heavier loads. their customers always seem happy. As does GRM with their Pilot. Keep the wife happy.

Oh, I've definitely seen the racing Odyssey. But whatever I get for her will remain largely unmodded (and definitly un-turbo'd and 6-speed swapped). CanAm was what I was reading about, with the guy who runs it on the Airstream forums talking much about what they do. But kind of wanted another view, since he's obviously selling something.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
1/9/14 6:50 a.m.
Ian F wrote:
ebonyandivory wrote: Don't hate me as I DID read your entire post but a Trailblazer isn't a good all-round compromise?
Wife apparently doesn't want another SUV... IMHO, tow-ratings inthe US have less to do with vehicle capability and more to do with CYA. Manufacturers in the US have to protect themselves from moronic owners. So with that in mind, get a minivan with a towing package, a trailer brake controller and a lightweight trailer. Of course, you're getting this from a single middle-aged guy who replaced his E30 with a minivan... ...but other than the gas mileage (21 mpg when you're used to ~50 mpg is hard to swallow), it's been good for the past couple of months.

She ruled out GM products out of hand almost immediately. I don't know why, but I don't love GMs enough to bother trying to change her mind on that.

You got 50mpg with an e30??

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
1/9/14 7:03 a.m.
irish44j wrote: You got 50mpg with an e30??

LOL. No... the TDi - which is currently off the road while I dick around with my garage so I can replace the clutch, turbo and a few other overdue projects related to a 10 year old car with 329K miles.

I generally got around 24 mpg in the E30, although it was more expensive to run than the Caravan since I usually put the highest octane gas I could in it. Daily driving that car was annoying since I had to fill it every three days.

Wayslow
Wayslow Reader
1/9/14 7:04 a.m.

I know this isn't a very GRM friendly statement but sometimes Minivan is the answer. We're on our 3rd Grand Caravan and it'll be our last just due to our kid's ages but they've served us well.

A quick online search uncovered some pretty decent aluminum flatbed trailers in the 640 to 750lb range. I'm thinking this is the simple way to go. Trailer brakes are always a good idea. I tow a 2 horse gooseneck trailer behind a 98 pickup that has way less horsepower and torque than any of the new minivans so it isn't an issue of power but more a matter of CYA (as Ian F pointed out)

Get the minivan that your wife wants. Get the trailer that you want and don't worry about the stigma. After all what shows your masculinity more, a two seat Viper or a seven seat GC loaded with kids? At least you have proof that you can get the job done.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
1/9/14 7:14 a.m.

My biggest worry with towing with a minivan would be grenading the transaxle. A lot of them seem to be plucked from a FWD car that weighs a thousand pounds less and barely up to dealing with the heavy van bodywork, at least in stock form. Maybe with enough cooling and other upgrades...

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/9/14 7:32 a.m.

I thought the caravan with the 4.0l with tow package was rated at 4000lbs? I towed a fair amount with an 08 Odyssey and was pleased with its performance. One of those tows was a Miata on a unbraked single axle trailer and it seemed fine.

chrispy
chrispy Reader
1/9/14 7:42 a.m.

I have a 2003 Mazda MPV that came without the tow package. Online research showed the tow package consisted of a larger trans cooler, bigger radiator, wiring harness, and hitch. I added all but the radiator with aftermarket parts to get the max 3500 tow rating. I was towing a 1987 VW Golf on either a dolly or flat tow (tow bar). The MPV struggled with the loaded dolly, not so much with the bar, but now tows 2 karts on a utility trailer and I can't tell its there. Based on my experience, I won't tow more than 2500 lbs with a minivan. The transaxle is the weak point, but I think this is common to towing with all FWD vehicles. I do know of a gentleman who trailered his CSP Miata with his Volvo wagon, so anything is possible.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/9/14 7:46 a.m.

let wife pick her ride. buy $1000 pickup truck for your occasional towing and home depot runs.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
1/9/14 7:57 a.m.
irish44j wrote: So as much as I really despise the idea of owning a minivan (it's the last surrender to suburban boringness, in my book), in the interest of keeping the wife happy.....what think the collective wisdom here of setting one up to tow ~4500lbs on occasion?

Interesting. I find that a large SUV is the last surrender to suburban boringness and American consumerism/excess. To me a minivan (in this situation) represents a more intelligent owner.

Minivan is the answer. It fits your needs quite well, keeps the wife happier, and is more wallet-friendly.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
1/9/14 8:16 a.m.
chrispy wrote: I have a 2003 Mazda MPV that came without the tow package. Online research showed the tow package consisted of a larger trans cooler, bigger radiator, wiring harness, and hitch. I added all but the radiator with aftermarket parts to get the max 3500 tow rating. I was towing a 1987 VW Golf on either a dolly or flat tow (tow bar). The MPV struggled with the loaded dolly, not so much with the bar, but now tows 2 karts on a utility trailer and I can't tell its there. Based on my experience, I won't tow more than 2500 lbs with a minivan. The transaxle is the weak point, but I think this is common to towing with all FWD vehicles. I do know of a gentleman who trailered his CSP Miata with his Volvo wagon, so anything is possible.

I have SERIOUS MPV lust. I fought valiantly trying to convince mama that MPV > Mazda5 in every way, but lost out due to styling :( That is a LOT of car for the money.

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
1/9/14 8:22 a.m.

If your wife drives a lot, you'll be able to pay for a fancy aluminum trailer just with the fuel savings. Also, I wouldn't thrust a Odyssey for towing. It's the best minivan, but I've heard and seen too many horror stories about their weak transaxle, to take the chance. Even the newer ones, while much improved, don't seem to be very sturdy. Plus they are by far the most expensive used minivans (around here anyways). I'd go with a Kia Sedona or a Toyota Sienna, and put the money I saved into a "when the trans blows up" fund.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/9/14 8:36 a.m.

I would seriously consider just getting the Mrs the minivan she really wants, selling off one or two of the other (5 vehicles you said?) and buying a proper, cheap old 2WD tow monster 2500 that sits around waiting to haul trailers, or old engine blocks away to scrap... a good old fashioned work PU-truck is as useful as a welder or a lathe.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/9/14 8:43 a.m.

Minivan=right tool for the job for kid hauling.

Nothing else will do. Sliding doors win.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
1/9/14 8:57 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
irish44j wrote: So as much as I really despise the idea of owning a minivan (it's the last surrender to suburban boringness, in my book), in the interest of keeping the wife happy.....what think the collective wisdom here of setting one up to tow ~4500lbs on occasion?
Interesting. I find that a large SUV is the last surrender to suburban boringness and American consumerism/excess. To me a minivan (in this situation) represents a more intelligent owner. Minivan is the answer. It fits your needs quite well, keeps the wife happier, and is more wallet-friendly.

I don't necessarily disagree in general principle, but the main deal with the 4x4 SUV is the ability to (with family along) take it on the beach at Hatteras, or up a trail in the Blue Ridge (e.g. "something off the beaten path"), or through 2 feet of snow in W.Va, or to yank a trailerful of scrap metal out of my uncle's muddy farm field....none of which a minivan can do (hence making it "boring" in that respect). And a beater pickup may be able to do those things, but isn't something I'd want to drive on a long-distance trip with family :)

I don't want a big SUV simply as a "status mall-crawler" so to say...my motives are largely functional.

In the end, I'm just arguing against myself. Resistance appears to be futile, lol.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
1/9/14 9:00 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I would seriously consider just getting the Mrs the minivan she really wants, selling off one or two of the other (5 vehicles you said?) and buying a proper, cheap old 2WD tow monster 2500 that sits around waiting to haul trailers, or old engine blocks away to scrap... a good old fashioned work PU-truck is as useful as a welder or a lathe.

3 of the 5 vehicles are a 1985 318i rallycross car, a $200 e21 project, and a very non-original Triumph GT6. These cars are one of the reasons I want towing capability in the first place, lol.

Collectively, if I sold all of them I might be able to buy lunch for a few weeks, lol. The only car I have that's worth any money is my daily driver 90k mile WRX, which isn't going away any time soon.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
1/9/14 9:17 a.m.

I use a 2007 grand caravan for towing, it does a good job and the brakes are up to the task. Brakes are what I worry about more than the tow rating.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
1/9/14 9:22 a.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: My biggest worry with towing with a minivan would be grenading the transaxle. A lot of them seem to be plucked from a FWD car that weighs a thousand pounds less and barely up to dealing with the heavy van bodywork, at least in stock form. Maybe with enough cooling and other upgrades...

This, even the UK market DIESEL Chrysler Minivan is rated at 3500lbs. http://www.chrysler.co.uk/grandvoyager/specs

Minivan tow ratings are pretty truthful, they just are not heavy duty vehicles in any way.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
1/9/14 9:25 a.m.

I have a friend that hauls British cars around behind a Dodge caravan with no problems.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rkmeV6Y2xfajs40iGFWycbMtPzAYPsEZe3DgN4t2cezluj0GwwKO4xrflErLF8pp