1 ... 3 4 5
WillrunifChased
WillrunifChased New Reader
11/25/13 6:24 p.m.

The issue I have with having to include a cage roll bar is an open top car where I would need one if I plan on running under a 13.99. I have no skill to fabricate a cage like some of these guys. It wouldn't just be $120 in tubing as someone suggested at the event.

bluej
bluej Dork
11/25/13 6:30 p.m.

That's a part of vehicle selection.

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
11/25/13 6:32 p.m.
WillrunifChased wrote: The issue I have with having to include a cage roll bar is an open top car where I would need one if I plan on running under a 13.99. I have no skill to fabricate a cage like some of these guys. It wouldn't just be $120 in tubing as someone suggested at the event.

You have lots of options in the event that you have an open top car that is faster than 13.99, here are just a few:

1. Accept a 13.99 time without a roll bar. Most challengers would love for breaking into the 13s to be a problem.
  2. Learn how to build a roll bar. I did for my $2011 build, which was the first time I ever did any work with DOM, bending roll hoops, or designing a roll cage.
  3. Make buddies with a guy who knows how to build a roll bar. Every town has one of these guys, including yours. They're usually friendly guys who like beer.
  4. Don't build a convertible car. This is part of the base vehicle selection somebody that wants to be a top competitor should consider.

Bryce

WillrunifChased
WillrunifChased New Reader
11/25/13 7:05 p.m.
  1. Change cars because of a rules change for the new year.
  2. Make new friends that can weld fabricate.
  3. Buy a welder learn to fabricate.

Ok got thanks guys shouldn't be a problem.

I really don't ever plan to run that fast so it doesn't really matter at this point.

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
11/25/13 7:07 p.m.
WillrunifChased wrote: I really don't ever plan to run that fast so it doesn't really matter at this point.

Bonus, doing nothing special is the easiest solution!

Bryce

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/25/13 7:19 p.m.

Only 8 out of 40 cars this year went faster than 13.99.

2 of the top 10 finishers did not go 13.99.

There are many, many ways to skin a cat.

Bryce: You forgot 1 option. Buy a used bar. Ebay is your friend.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Event Marketing
11/27/13 9:16 a.m.

Hello everybody; I'm taking a fair chunk of time this morning to reply to every one of the emails I've received so far. I wanted to clarify two things publically that those who could not attend the town hall may have missed:

Our self-imposed deadline for official rules is December 1st, but with a few changes still being reviewed by competitors and the events department, it might be a few days later.

We are leaning towards a much simpler, easier-to-enforce rule set. We aren't trying to copy the SCCA's rulebook here.

tb
tb Reader
11/27/13 9:38 a.m.

Tom, I appreciate the attention you are all giving this matter. Please do not feel obligated to reply in detail to my brief, rambling stream of consciousness if it will in any way interfere with getting out of work early to start holiday celebrations.

I, personally, have a lot more that I could opine about but it struck me that I was forgetting all of my training in negotiating. I want to state on more thing publicly and then I promise to relax:

Successfully negotiating terms does not come from maintaining an intractable position. It comes from identifying and protecting your interests. I have no particular position that I cannot compromise on; rather my interest in the event is to have fun with cars and friends. As long as the spirit of this event can survive in such a way as to preserve this I am completely happy with any of the revised rules.

Happy Thanksgiving

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/2/13 10:16 a.m.

Looking forward to the new rules for 2014, only 6 months to work on the car and I am ready to get started! I would assume that some provision for bringing back past Challenge cars (and accounting for changes) is part of the new rules. In my specific case, my car last ran in 2008, so I will be removing and swapping some parts here and there as well as adjusting my budget to meet the latest rules (safety equipment, tires, etc....). Hopefully we will see the final rules this week?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/2/13 12:25 p.m.

Yes, you guys should see a nearly official draft today. I say "nearly official" because we'd like to let them gel for another day or so.

We basically started with a clean sheet and new vision. There won't be too many big surprises, but the rules should be easier to follow. And as far as the roll bar rule, we took a vote at this year's Challenge and simply followed their lead.

Definitely looking forward to 2014.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/2/13 12:33 p.m.

Also, since we're about to post the proposed rules, I'm going to unstick this topic.

Thanks again for all of the input.

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aTBJaGvuTSFVmfaeShP8l6wsXKuKn14rnXQ84dcXYsuhiXaI1Oh1rOvu1VDNzX6r