16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
5/24/10 8:11 a.m.

My brother-in-law and his wife just moved to the DC area. She got accepted into a very expensive grad school, and he's working his ass off to pay for it. Anyway, he called me a couple of days ago and their 1995 Buick Park Ave died on him. Over the phone it sounded like an open and shut case of a bad alternator. He had it towed to a shop, they changed the alternator and the battery, and it still won't charge. Now the shop is telling him that they think it needs a computer, which is BS. A 1995 Park Ave doesn't need the computer to charge. They also told him that his old battery and alternator was check and they were both bad. It sounds to me that they saw the symptoms, changed the alternator and battery, then when that didn't work, made up the whole testing part. Especially since the battery and alternator are both less than 3 years old. It sounds to me like a bad connection on the main power wire or one of the fuse links near the starter crapped out. Either way, it seems he's getting screwed, and is now $400 deep into a car that's no better off than it was when he brought it to the shop. If there's anyone in the area that can help him out, he's willing to pay, but just doesn't want to get berkeleyed. HELP!!!!!

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
5/24/10 9:14 a.m.

Or just a name of a reputable shop! I think the one that's working on it now is less than desirable, and bordering on shady.

Tetzuoe
Tetzuoe Reader
5/24/10 9:49 a.m.

cant say I know any good shops, there was one dude who seemed like a decent gas station mechanic, but I dont think i'd trust the guy to do anything more than inspections

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Reader
5/24/10 2:13 p.m.

there's an Irish born fellow by the name of PJ Lavelle out in Rockville MD that's always had a good press amongst my friends - I'll have to track down his number tonite.
the 14th st location of these guys helped a friend recently after someone messed up his 02 Buick's ignition. http://www.auto-ayt.com/

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Reader
5/24/10 4:39 p.m.

A friend of mine used to work at Merv's in Springfield, VA right off I-95. They has always treated my family and I right.

He also has a 12 second diesel Dodge Ram.

703-644-1900

-Greg

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/25/10 7:48 p.m.

about 30 miles across DC from arlington, in Bowie MD is one of my lifelong friends David Zimmerman at AutoTech Car Care, 301-464-9200.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/25/10 8:54 p.m.

239-776-9382. I don't have a garage to work in but I can help him diagnose for free after work tomorrow if he has access to the car. have him call or email me at josh(dot)sennett at the mail of google.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lROdRfo0qRKA3FfBsBucxP743uFDmOrEb0deNIMly554hvM7LKp4NuMKKpFdhRKM