1 2
Zeitgeist
Zeitgeist Reader
8/8/16 6:57 p.m.

OK time to challenge the brain trust here. I am looking for a modern, fun to drive car like driving experience vehicle that can tow 5000lbs reasonably. I am considering Trailblazer SS, Tahoe PPV(2007+) and 2013 Interceptor Utility (Police version of Explorer) so far and have looked at the stats of 1st generation Honda Ridgeline and Dakota(2007+)

Currently drive a 2006 Silverado LS Crew cab shortbed 4WD with 4.8, no locking diff and 184K miles. The drive is too primitive and truck like for my everyday driving. Big,heavy,combersome feeling with no steering feel,lots of roll and understeer at surprising low speeds, no power and primitive in ergonomics and fit/finish with all kinds of cheap and squeaky interior bits coming from modern unibody imports,Focuses and similar cars.

I tow an open car trailer (1400lbs dual axle with 1 axle electric trailer brakes) a 1600lb car and 300-400 lbs extras when going to trackdays,autocross etc. I may tow larger car but total tow weight under 5000lbs.

Things I am looking for in order of importance.

Reliable(only real vehicle and don't want to be stranded when towing) Modern,car like driving experience( Some feel and flatter cornering and responses) Fun to drive (similar to above but maybe some power or with mild tire/wheel package and suspension tweaks that don't kill towing ability some handling) Decent ergonomics,fit/finish, comfortable ride.

Budget is around $16000 but I can go a little more for a vehicle that needs little to be right.

I have a fun car (Exocet) which is what I need to tow. My concern with TBSS is a fair number of transmission issues and some engine oiling issues with LS and front sump oil pan. These can be rectified but it is already higher in my budget to need reliability mods with lower miles. Police package versions of the Tahoe and Explorer have more car like handling,brakes and all the extra/HD coolers,electrical etc.. parts. What am I missing? Zeitgeist is online now Report Post

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/8/16 7:00 p.m.

F-150 Lightning.

Zeitgeist
Zeitgeist Reader
8/8/16 7:06 p.m.

Meets the fun and power points but too expensive for my tastes and it's age as well as I need more interior room. At least an extended cab for trackday stuff.

Mark57
Mark57 New Reader
8/8/16 7:43 p.m.

4 year owner of a 2006 Trailblazer SS AWD, It was SWMBO DD,stupid fun to drive, would tow a house with the factory gearing. But... 12 mpg around town, 16 mpg on the highway,never checked it when towing. Multiple GM electrical recalls, rebuilt front suspension @63,000 miles, replaced steering rack @ 74,000 miles, both front wheel bearings somewhere in between. Requires Mobil 1 Synthetic, 7 qts at a time. I always added an extra quart of oil, never had an issue with losing oil pressure on hard corners. Sold it last fall, no regrets.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/8/16 7:49 p.m.

I love the look of the Tahoe PPVs. They seem to go at auction locally for around $7000 with 100k miles on them (Columbus Ohio). They have fat sway bars, lower suspension, and fat tires factory. They're more basic than the civilian Tahoe but they still have on star and line in on the stereo so to me they feel like a modern car. But I must admit I've never driven one. Still if the choices given that would be the first one I would try.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
8/8/16 7:53 p.m.

Previous generation V8 4Runner Sport Edition. The XREAS suspension handles the paved road well, has good off-road chops (if you get the 4WD version), pulls 5k no problem. I actually considered ours relatively "fun to drive" and I hate driving SUVs/Trucks....

EDIT: we actually had the 4.0 V6 which towed fine as well, but the 4.7 V8 has more grunt/tq. One of our current team guys just towed the e30 to Canada (from DC) with his 2WD V8 4Runner (same engine as in my Sequoia, which I tow the rally car with).

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/8/16 8:17 p.m.

What's the forgotten unicorn SAAB that shares trailblazer ss underpinnings?

Zeitgeist
Zeitgeist Reader
8/8/16 8:25 p.m.

The TBSS does seem to have issues which is why I am nervous about considering it but it seems to check a lot of boxes. The Tahoe PPV seems like the bigger slower brother but also has AFM issue.

Never thought of the Toyota 4 runner.

The Saab that is like the TBSS is the 97x but kind of rare. I looked for one and none close.

Mark57
Mark57 New Reader
8/8/16 8:35 p.m.

If I remember correctly the Saab 97X V8 version was a 5.7L. Capable, probably a bit more civilized than the SS but 400 HP and 395 Ft Lb of torque was a lot of fun.....

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/8/16 9:01 p.m.

I had a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I thought was pretty fun to drive. Newer models tow 7500 pounds even with the V6. Find a used V8 and lower it.

I think the VW Toureg could be fun to drive if optioned correctly. I mean, it's basically a Porsche right?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/8/16 9:03 p.m.

GRM put 20 or 30 miles on one of these and seemed to like it.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
8/8/16 9:17 p.m.

I would actually modify the Lightning suggestion to 4-dr supercharged Harley F150. It's the most i've ever liked a Harley-anything. Yes, it's old, but it's based on a truck that actually had the most durable truck interior of the age and while they all need a front suspension rebuild, it is not something i would consider a dealbreaker on something you are already going to spend 12-15k on and expect it to hold value rather than lose it. The trans is also more reliable than the TBSS unit.

I say this expecting it to be flatly rejected!

If you think that's bad, when you said '16k, tow 5000lbs' my first thought was 'mid-00s Quattroportes are just getting into that price range', and if you think im joking look at my Lexus GS thread with pics of 3 towed cars.

TGMF
TGMF Reader
8/8/16 9:31 p.m.

Having driven my parents Honda pilot (very similar to ridgeline) with 5,000lbs behind it I can say, no, don't do it. Not enough power for that much weight. They did one camping trip with it, and traded it in on a Silverado. Day to day driving it was great though.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/8/16 9:34 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I had a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I thought was pretty fun to drive. Newer models tow 7500 pounds even with the V6. Find a used V8 and lower it.

The WJ Cherokee fun to drive? I can't agree with that. There's a V8 one in my driveway, and it's the numbest thing I've driven for a while. Just...blah. No information from the contact patches at all, an antique transmission and no interior room given the size of the vehicle. I've towed 3000 lbs with it from CO to TX and it did okay, although it was thirsty.

My first generation V8 Tundra was more fun to drive and happier towing. Put a hat on it and it's called a Sequoia, I think.

One important consideration is not just the weight of the trailer, but the shape. An open is far, far easier to tow than an enclosed.

ptmeyer84
ptmeyer84 Reader
8/8/16 9:43 p.m.

Depending on your definition of fun to drive, a Land Rover LR3 could fit the bill.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
8/8/16 10:26 p.m.

In reply to ptmeyer84:

Yes, but what do you tow the LR3 with?

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/8/16 10:26 p.m.

Cayenne turbo?? Some really good deals out there for used ones. Maintenance scares me.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
8/9/16 9:07 a.m.

I went through this last year and ended up with a 2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S. Tows 7700lbs, is a total hooligan to drive as a daily and is a great ski car.

They have some issues but by now all of them should've been taken care of. I've had mine for over a year now and its been very reliable, has 124k miles on it now.

You can get a regular turbo for $15k, the turbo S is a bit more...

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/9/16 10:07 a.m.
Mark57 wrote: If I remember correctly the Saab 97X V8 version was a 5.7L. Capable, probably a bit more civilized than the SS but 400 HP and 395 Ft Lb of torque was a lot of fun.....

There was a version of the Trollblazer that had the 6.0, as well. I think it was the 9-7x Aero. They are true unicorns, though.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
8/9/16 10:34 a.m.

Does it have to be 4wd? The 2wd version of the truck you have is TONS better in steering feel and flat(for a truck) cornering.

But of the initial choice, Tahoe PPV. No questions. Done.

Zeitgeist
Zeitgeist Reader
8/9/16 10:55 a.m.

My idea of fun to drive is pavement handling. I don't go offroad and AWD or 4WD would be for winters in the midwest or towing from wet grassy paddock where I have seen a few stuck tow rigs but 2WD is fine although I prefer AWD. Fuel economy is not much of an issue as I don't put a ton of miles per year.

Looks like Aero Saab is 6.0 liter and others are 5.3 or 4.8 but also have TBSS issues of trans and LS front sump oil issues.

The X5,Toureg and Cayenne Turbo seem to push a lot of buttons but older Euro SUVs seem to have a bad rep for reliability. True or overblown? I owned a 00 Jetta 1.8T but never owned a BMW or Porsche.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
8/9/16 11:09 a.m.

The 4runner is a decent option but its not very sporty,mines an '03 V8 and I daily it with a load of carpentry tools.They need an airbag kit to work with different loads and to tow nearly anything bigger than utility trailer.

Mines been dead nuts reliable,is just ok on fuel,hauls 5k'ish enclosed trailer with a miata shoe horned in with very little drama.

I drove full size trucks for over 15 yrs previously,don't miss them one bit.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/9/16 11:13 a.m.

Airbags make all the difference on a multi-use vehicle. Lets you run a soft spring rate when empty but load it up when needed. I ran them on my Tundra and I also have them on the Big Dodge.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
8/9/16 11:28 a.m.

As long as the "hot button" problems have been addressed on the Cayenne they're reliable. So make sure the coolant pipes/T's have been replaced, torque convertor seal, coil packs you're good to go...

Zeitgeist
Zeitgeist Reader
8/9/16 1:00 p.m.

Cayenne I will look at. Any place to find good info on buying a guide or these issues to look for?

Also getting suggestions for BMW X5. Issues with them compared to Cayenne and similar Euro SUVs?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RUgtdekmmaGLoyd1wXwIJ7hMgRvvRMy6r1HGoACpTjneP452KdNjYUh21Hsem1bt