1 2 3
JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Reader
6/20/12 10:28 p.m.

Ok guys, I could really use a hand with this, the most serious of decisions; do I give up one of my cars for something else...

Here's the scoop: I went to look at a 1978 RX-3 SP this evening. The car is in very good mechanical condition, though not original. It has a 1st gen RX-7 engine with Racing Beat everything, it runs great, keeps temp fine, stops good, turns good, etc... Engine is pretty young, trans (5-spd) is pretty fresh from a professional rebuild, etc... The interior is pretty good too. The front seats need to be redone, but otherwise interior is pretty ok. It was a lot of fun to drive and the guy is only asking $1000... Oh, and it has a trailer hitch for a little race/tire trailer (I was thinking about putting one the RX-8 anyway).

However, it has a lot of bodywork issues. It was in at least one front end collision and the hood and front valence are wrinkled up pretty good, the passenger's fender has a big dent in it, the driver's door has been replaced, the passenger door has creases in it, AND the rockers, spare tire well and battery tray have rust holes. The floors and frame are really solid as is everything else structural that I could see.

Now, I would like to get this for a daily or weekend driver, but it would have to replace either my 280ZX, or my 1985 Celica GT. I'm inclined to keep the Celica because of it's utility (I use it as a pickup, which is basically what it is), it's really reliable and has A/C. The Datsun is fun to cruise around in and sounds awesome, but it doesn't instantly put a grin on my face like beating on the RX-3. Plus, I feel like the Datsun is a little fragile for beating on. The Datsun is in better shape overall, though it needs a few suspension tweaks and paint.

I also have several other project cars and the RX-8 for auto-x, so I'm not looking to make the RX-3 into a project. I just want to drive it like it is and enjoy. My biggest concerns are that it:
1) becomes another project, which I don't want/need
2) won't be driven much because it doesn't have A/C and a huge hatch that I can throw car parts in
3) will cost me enough in extra insurance that I won't want to have it on the road all the time, and thus won't drive it

I've asked several folks who know me and my car collection and 4 out of 5 think it's probably not the best option. FYI, the money and space for it aren't issues, it's just my time that's really at a premium.

I don't have any pics of the car yet, but it looks like this, but with some (minimal) rust, and lots of wrinkles and dents as described:

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
6/20/12 10:31 p.m.

datsun...because datsun.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Reader
6/20/12 10:34 p.m.

If I were to keep the Datsun, I'd probably repaint it like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWF-hH1nloo ...which would be super sweet. Although, I'm not sure I'd want to wear the 'stache all the time...

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/20/12 10:37 p.m.

RX-3 no question. I like Datsuns but the RX-3 is one of my attainable dream cars (hopefully).

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Reader
6/20/12 10:40 p.m.

In reply to EvanB:

Pretty much how I feel, but I think this one is too big of a project for me to actually restore at the moment, so I'm not sure if I should pick it up and just use it as a regular driver.

EvanB
6/20/12 10:43 p.m.

I'd say if it runs great just get it and drive for the time being. You can always fix up the body later and you never know when you will find another driver for sale.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Reader
6/20/12 10:50 p.m.

In reply to EvanB:

I like your reasoning.

On another note, I should mention one of my friends said I should just get a miata instead. Miata is not the answer to this question, so don't try .

EvanB
6/20/12 10:56 p.m.

I really love my Miata, but I would definitely get an RX-3 instead if given the chance.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
6/20/12 11:15 p.m.

RX3 all day every day.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
6/20/12 11:29 p.m.

I would love an RX-3! Mazdax605 owned one briefly, I'm sure he could fill you in on his experiences with it and with vintage rotaries in general. Like Evan said, if it's a good driver, than as long as the rust isn't terminal, the bodywork can wait.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Reader
6/20/12 11:59 p.m.

Get the RX-3!

And if you don't you must divulge the location!

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Reader
6/21/12 5:26 a.m.
JohnyHachi6 wrote: it has a lot of bodywork issues. It was in at least one front end collision and the hood and front valence are wrinkled up pretty good, the passenger's fender has a big dent in it, the driver's door has been replaced, the passenger door has creases in it, AND the rockers, spare tire well and battery tray have rust holes.

and

JohnyHachi6 wrote: , so I'm not looking to make the RX-3 into a project. I just want to drive it like it is and enjoy.

are incompatible...unless your Datsun is in really bad shape? If the Datsun is in good condition, I say keep it.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
6/21/12 5:42 a.m.

Atlanta craigslist strikes again.

I personally like the idea of owning an RX-3 way more than owning a 280ZX, but I've never been a big fan of Z cars that don't have 240 or 260 in their name.

But, with the damage and bodywork issues and you not wanting to take on a project at this time I'm not sure what to tell you. Assume that you go with the RX-3 and a few years down the road you want to fix it up. How are parts availability - body panels especially?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg PowerDork
6/21/12 5:43 a.m.

If you don't want that RX3. I do. Seriously, PM me if you choose against it.

I miss my old one.

Steve

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
6/21/12 5:46 a.m.

I need that RX-3!!!! It looks just like the one I had for 6 days before it was totaled. Well mine was in much better shape. If you choose not to get the RX-3 please let me know where it is.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg PowerDork
6/21/12 5:49 a.m.

I beat you to it Chris,

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
6/21/12 6:00 a.m.

Despite all the cool mechanical bits, it sounds like a pretty big project. Unless you are ready for that, I would stick with what you got, or somehow figure out a way to get it and not get rid of one of your other cars.
Oh, and the ZX may not be half the car that it's older brother S30 Z cars are, but fragile it is not! That inline 6 is one of the stoutest motors ever built by Nissan! DRIVE that thing dude!

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/21/12 8:02 a.m.

RX-3.

The 280ZX is a turd. (Sorry) It's bigger, heavier, uglier, and somehow with a poorer rear suspension than the Z-cars. It's the car that created the term "boulevard cruiser".

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/21/12 8:04 a.m.

And now that I read the actual text of the OP.

HOLY CRAP BUY THAT RX-3. It sounds like it's a $5-6k car, if it is as you say it is.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/21/12 8:05 a.m.

Rust issues and bodywork sucks. Sucks sucks sucks. I'll take mechanical issues over bodywork issues any time.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
6/21/12 8:10 a.m.

^This . . .

Much DOES WANT for a RX-3 . . . but if you suck at bodywork and rust repair (like I do) . . . PASS!!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
6/21/12 8:40 a.m.

No pain, no gain.

I vote RX-3!

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
6/21/12 8:58 a.m.

RX-3, hands down.

There's always a Z-car on Craigslist if you want one, and you said that the Z doesn't rustle your jimmies the way the RX3 does. Sure, it needs some work, but once that work is done you have something you're much more likely to want to keep in your driveway.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
6/21/12 9:00 a.m.

Rx3. Even with the body issues, it's 100 times cooler than a z-car.

ThePhranc
ThePhranc Dork
6/21/12 9:25 a.m.

The answer is always Mazda.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4Gk22xAdwh3qYkkcWn9PfdGVcdM1A9Iy9nwQ1MXYiZSSSf8XKBa9SFBVxXtwnivl