1 2 3
ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
6/21/12 9:54 a.m.

The Rx-3. You can easily drive it for a while as a classic beater and if the body bothers you too much flip it for at least (probably more) than you paid.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/21/12 10:15 a.m.

I DD a BMW with the passengerside floor being made up of rust and carpet.. I vote RX3

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
6/21/12 10:22 a.m.

RX3 by a mile.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/21/12 12:11 p.m.

Based on the response, if you get the RX-3, drive it for a bit and then decide to sell it, there are at least 3 people here who would give you $1500 for it.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Reader
6/21/12 4:24 p.m.

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice. I've been thinking about this pretty much non-stop since last night, but I decided to let this one go. I just can't give this car the time it deserves right now and don't really need another beater even if it is super cool, rare and fun.

If you guys are still interested, you can check out the listing here: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/3088056247.html

Keep in mind the body really does need LOTS of work. Also, I called the owner back today and he said he has another buyer lined up for the weekend since I didn't want it, so don't be too surprised if you don't hear back from him.

1978 Mazda Rx-3 SP - $1000 (Marietta)

Date: 2012-06-19, 4:10PM EDT

1978 Mazda Rx-3 SP, body rough (no rust), but runs GOOD:

8,500 rpm six-port motor; professionally rebuilt 5-speed transmission, 10,000 miles ago; new tires.

Lots of extra parts, including:

5 alternators, 5 starter motors, 3 carbs for parts, extra transmission for parts, plus much other misc parts.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/21/12 4:55 p.m.

I bought a car from Georgia once that was "all rusted out". Rust was some color on the corners (note: it still had corners) and a pencil eraser sized hole in one of the fenders that had clean metal all around it.

I don't fathom how a body could be rough but not rusty, as long as the car is still car-shaped.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
6/21/12 5:36 p.m.

Is the RX-3 orange?

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Reader
6/21/12 5:51 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

I wrote a little in my 1st post on this thread; basically a pretty good amount of accident damage.

In reply to Mazdax605:

Yeah orange with the black vinyl graphics from the SP package.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
6/21/12 8:33 p.m.

So....

It looks like I am buying this. I hate spending half the purchase price of the car on gas but what can you do?

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
6/21/12 8:35 p.m.

Damn I just got pics of it Greg!!!! Looks pretty ratty, but I still want it. If you pass let me know.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
6/21/12 10:06 p.m.

It does look pretty rough but I think I can make it work alright. So far finding parts appears to be a giant PITA but we shall see. Might make it to the challenge but will certainly be an "also ran".

Fortunately I am heading to Atlanta for the weekend to visit my friends at Garage Zero and hitting up the Coke Museum so I wont have to claim most of that mileage on my challenge budget.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
6/21/12 10:13 p.m.

Sniped!

Congrats on the buy, and now it's official:

CPannell
CPannell New Reader
6/21/12 10:48 p.m.

Saw that this week. The only thing that stopped me from snatching it up was the pair of Porsches I have eating up project storage. For what it's worth, the car is worth double that (easy) in parts.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Reader
6/21/12 11:05 p.m.

In reply to Greg Voth:

Yeah finding parts was the big problem that really stopped me too. I was going to get in touch with some contacts I have at Downing Atlanta and see if they still had any fiberglass molds from Jim Downing's RX-3s. Then I decided I really didn't need another huge project...

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
6/21/12 11:40 p.m.

Here is a picture. It doesn't show the worst side which is the passenger front corner. Don't fret I will get the stripe package back on the side.

I have a lead on some fiberglass fenders and a hood down in Miami. The car comes with early model chrome bumpers. I am more worried about finding the front valence, light buckets, and bumper filler piece.

Any leads would be appreciated.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/22/12 12:01 a.m.

Awesome! I would totally buy that in a second for $1000.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
6/22/12 12:48 a.m.

Me too

Problem is I am going to be $2000 in the car by the time I get it and register it down here. That and I already have way too many cars.

Luke
Luke UberDork
6/22/12 7:51 a.m.

Nice buy!

I was about to suggest trying Australia for parts...but RX3 stuff is going for silly-money on Ebay.

500 bucks for a grille? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mazda-RX3-12A-Front-Grill-Grille-Chrome-/280897783768?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4166d007d8#ht_1208wt_710

"He's dreamin'"

...$200 for light surrounds, if you get desperate. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAZDA-RX3-PLASTIC-HEAD-LIGHT-SURROUNDS-set-2-/251088009439?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7602f8df#ht_2174wt_698

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
6/22/12 7:59 a.m.

Holy crap. That is awesome!!!! And running?

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
6/22/12 8:00 a.m.

Wow it IS pretty scruffy,, but sooooo much potential. Do want.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
6/22/12 8:05 a.m.

In reply to Greg Voth:

I am so glad you are buying cause once I saw that picture. I was considering calling to buy it.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg PowerDork
6/22/12 8:13 a.m.

I did contact them, congrats Greg, hope to see it in July.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
6/22/12 9:45 a.m.

Nice score. Looks rough but the price is right. Rockauto and ebay have a lot of the grubby bits for cheap. EXCEPT for the front brake rotors - those seem impossible to find so make sure not to warp them. Pads and such are dirt cheap though. Occasionally trim bits will show up on http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
6/22/12 1:33 p.m.

Thanks guys. I have been picking around trying to find parts. Not too much available for uncrazy prices.

I called the guys this morning on the fiberglass parts. Looks like my cheapest way into fenders. Might be able to sell or trade the hood off for the other pieces I need.

I understand that I can swap the front stuff over to 1st. gen stuff for brakes and what not. I might do that since I have an abundance of 1st. gen stuff laying around.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
6/22/12 1:50 p.m.

The 1st generation Rx-7 struts change the geometry a bit from what I remember. Or would have for my earlier style 808 anyway.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UVnpsklyHcbuxK3WpmFkxLOZVIFTyVl0DeZe4ISjV8hBpaZY9UIWConVe9K6P7mm