1 2 3
speedblind
speedblind Reader
1/10/10 11:15 p.m.

Ah, cars and women. I never realized why people buy cars to show off to women, because in my experience most don't like cars at all. And the ones that have dated a true car guy generally HATE cars.

I've gradually reached the conclusion that having what I want in every other area means settling for someone that at least tolerates the car thing.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
1/11/10 8:10 a.m.

Here is why my wife is cool........she is an awesome cook.

5ev3n
5ev3n New Reader
1/11/10 9:03 a.m.

I'm not married in the legal sense, but pretty much. Me and my lady just bought a house. It needs some serious work on the guts (not the 2.5 car garage though, that's fine). I told her I'd sell my 06 P71 and go back to a cheap beater so I can free up the money for hardwood floors and appliances and whatnot. She said I could as long as I pinky promise to buy a "fun" car once we were in the house. That along with her joining me as I play hooky with work to buy 2 motorcycles. I snagged a good one. Anyone need a P71?

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
1/11/10 9:18 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: +1 to the "Why would you MARRY a woman that doesn't get your car addiction?" Mine just asks that I don't have any more than 1 non-running vehicles at any one time, and that she always has something she can take to work.

That's a dealbreaker! Unreasonable expectations!

Seriously, though...I can't be limited to only one non runner...I need layers of automotive protection.

Clem

unevolved
unevolved Reader
1/11/10 6:07 p.m.
minimac wrote:
unevolved wrote: .......saw an absolute piece of E36 M3 Miata parked on the side of the road with a For Sale sign. We're talking rattle can paint job, rag top made of non-Mazda plastic, mailing tape, and hopes and dreams. The car was a piece of work. So, naturally, I turn around to go take a closer look.
This deserves to make the magazine! I think it describes most of us.

Here are some pictures of said car. We're going back with cash in hand this weekend.

And thanks. I'd love to be in the magazine.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
1/11/10 8:35 p.m.

she convinced me to go look at a Supra with a busted engine this weekend. I am stoked about marrying this one. I wish she would drive a manual though...I guess you can only ask for so much.(its not that she can't, she just doesn't want one for a daily)

Luke
Luke SuperDork
1/11/10 9:49 p.m.
minimac wrote:
unevolved wrote: .......saw an absolute piece of E36 M3 Miata parked on the side of the road with a For Sale sign. We're talking rattle can paint job, rag top made of non-Mazda plastic, mailing tape, and hopes and dreams. The car was a piece of work. So, naturally, I turn around to go take a closer look.

Definitely!

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/11/10 10:57 p.m.
unevolved wrote:
minimac wrote:
Here are some pictures of said car. We're going back with cash in hand this weekend. And thanks. I'd love to be in the magazine.

That'll buff out!

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
1/12/10 12:33 a.m.
5ev3n wrote: I'm not married in the legal sense, but pretty much. Me and my lady just bought a house. It needs some serious work on the guts (not the 2.5 car garage though, that's fine). I told her I'd sell my 06 P71 and go back to a cheap beater so I can free up the money for hardwood floors and appliances and whatnot. She said I could as long as I pinky promise to buy a "fun" car once we were in the house. That along with her joining me as I play hooky with work to buy 2 motorcycles. I snagged a good one. Anyone need a P71?

The hell! I didnt know you were buying that beast in the first place, and now I didnt know you were selling it! What the hell! We only have lunch once a week... Besides...any car is "fun", except for maybe a Tempo...

Yeah, Sams OK.

Jamies not so bad. When I proposed, she said We had to get her her own Miata... Thats how we ended up with: blue 90, white 92

Joey

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
1/12/10 12:39 a.m.
unevolved wrote:
minimac wrote:
Here are some pictures of said car. We're going back with cash in hand this weekend.

You need lots of before and after pics.

Joey

unevolved
unevolved Reader
1/12/10 7:36 a.m.

He'll post it up on here when we get it, I'm surprised he has never registered, he was at the '09 Challenge with us.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
1/12/10 8:52 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I wonder why so many 'significant others' are so opposed to people having and doing something they care about. Why would anyone keep someone around who wasn't respectful of them pursuing things that make them happy?

Cause they're stupid.

I love my wife, and I love her for supporting my automotive obsessions. She figures its a pretty good deal. I'm into cheap stuff, like rusty british cars and 80's motorcycles. So for very little money I'm happy, home, and not out blowing money at the bars.

And, she gets to drive cars she wouldn't otherwise get to play with.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
1/12/10 11:27 a.m.

My wife celebrated her 50th last week. I took her to Florida, where hew oldest brother lives, as well as her mother. We stopped in at GRM HQ and had lunch with some of the staff before heading to the local U-pull-it for some parts hunting action. Didn't find what we needed, so we headed to Downtown Disney. The next day, I put a '00 Miata engine in the back seat of her Jetta for the drive back to Virginia. She smiled the whole time. Need to keep this woman.

jungle
jungle New Reader
1/12/10 12:22 p.m.

One of these I am going to write a book on how women are BAD for motorsports. I know a far too many people that gave up racing due to wife/kids, divorce, etc....

On the flip size, my g/f: -occasionally crews for me at NASA events -has gone the junk yard w/ me several times, on her own some other times -corner works at ice racing events w/ me -changes her OWN oil -told me to sell my Neon ITA/PTE car to get something faster -when I told her i was spending $1000 on an exhaust manifold for my auto-x/lapping car she said "might as well" after giving her some logic -lets me rally-x HER car!!

I just might have to keep this one! :D

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer Dork
1/12/10 12:26 p.m.

i dont have a cool wife..

ValuePack
ValuePack HalfDork
1/12/10 12:29 p.m.

My wife insists upon all of us making the drive up to New England Forest Rally every year. In fact, we met there. Nothing like a rally girl.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/12/10 2:50 p.m.
ValuePack wrote: My wife insists upon all of us making the drive up to New England Forest Rally every year. In fact, we met there. Nothing like a rally girl.

Okay... who's your wife?

92dxman
92dxman Reader
1/12/10 11:06 p.m.
abumason wrote:
AngryCorvair wrote:
Dr. Hess wrote: The guy I bought my Europa from, the current one, not the first one, said to my wife (as we were winching the car up on the trailer) "You good to put up with this stuff. I lost a wife to this."
reminds me of the bumper sticker on the back of the big enclosed trailer behind the crew-cab dually: "My wife said it's either her or the car. Funny, I don't miss her one bit."
Saw something similiar, it said something "Rally - cheaper than a wife"

Where can one buy a bumper sticker that says this?

unevolved
unevolved Reader
1/19/10 9:55 p.m.
joey48442 wrote:
unevolved wrote:
minimac wrote:
You need lots of before and after pics. Joey

Just an update, we drove up to Waco and purchased the car last night for $380. It's a '91 with 180K and a myriad of problems. It's definitely salvageable, though. Kyle will be making a thread on here for the car tonight or tomorrow, so I'll let him tell the whole story.

modernbeat
modernbeat HalfDork
1/20/10 12:56 p.m.

Eh, my girlfriend does her own work on her own racecars and bikes.

Changing tires at an RV park near Pikes Peak.

Entering grid at the Pikes Peak Hillclimb.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy New Reader
1/20/10 1:53 p.m.

I've been married 25 years....

True stories 1 and 2 she owned a Volvo 122S... 1) one day, while driving she found the idle had changed(gone up about 300 rpm). She pulled over, popped the hood, noticed one of the return springs had broken @ the bend, she got a pair of needle nose pliers out from the trunk, bent a new loop, and went on with her day...... 2) The Volvo only had a single brake circuit... and the master took a dump while she was out (in the Poconos of NE Pa.), she carefully got it all the way home by simply downshifting to slow... scared the @#$%^#& out of 2 friends who were in the car with her....

Finally, more recently.... she bought a Fujitsubo exhaust($$$$) for my car, and paid for air freight to get it here... all for a xmas gift!

Think I'm gonna keep her

VanillaSky
VanillaSky Reader
1/20/10 2:41 p.m.

You guys make me jealous. Mine puts up with my antics, but doesn't participate.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse New Reader
1/20/10 2:59 p.m.

Since we began seeing each other in earnest about a year ago, my s/o has helped me purchase and tow home:

A 1949 Plymouth Super Delux

A 1963 Chevrolet Corvair

A 1969 Karmann Ghia

A 1964 Dodge Dart

None of which are anywhere near roadworthy. And there were already 18 or so cars in the driveway when we met.

irish44j
irish44j Reader
1/20/10 5:20 p.m.

My wife humors me when I buy some piece of junk (most recently, my old '90 Cherokee), and humors my reasoning for buying said piece of junk

("so I don't get your 4Runner dirty hauling junk" or "so I don't tear up the WRX doing rallycross")

Then she sits back and waits until I finally a) decide the vehicle in question cannot be restored to a level I want and I get rid of it. b) pump 3x its value in parts into it and then get bored with it and sell it for what I got it for in the first place c) come to my senses and don't actually buy that old Lancia Zagato or whatever.

Then she just says "I told you that's not what you wanted"

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/20/10 5:51 p.m.

Mine won't work on them, but she will absolutely drive the wheels off of them. She will let me spend what I want as long as she knows about it in advance and she gets to drive it. Not too bad of a deal. In 24 years she has put up with me/us racing and breaking a lot of stuff. Now with all the driving children involved as well as her the tire bill is kind of steep. The last autocross we put 20 runs on one car. Thank god it was wet.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
utgzx4yuP4vvi74WT086GPD8U9UOA6v8P9hu1IDFPcUuZJgCyzqRnYTFeBYNXXqR