Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/13/16 1:35 p.m.

Was interested in modern VW. Not now.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
1/13/16 2:55 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
NPR: You said this was a technical problem, but the American people feel this is not a technical problem, this is an ethical problem that's deep inside the company. How do you change that perception in the U.S.? Matthias Mueller: Frankly spoken, it was a technical problem. We made a default, we had a ... not the right interpretation of the American law. And we had some targets for our technical engineers, and they solved this problem and reached targets with some software solutions which haven't been compatible to the American law. That is the thing. And the other question you mentioned — it was an ethical problem? I cannot understand why you say that.
I'm not sure how one could come close to interpreting the law wrong. Anti-defeat device statutes have been on the books for decades, and most of the bigger players have had their hands quite publicly slapped for doing it. Not being aware of that or interpreting it wrong is a bad excuse. Even after admitting that they cheated, they are totally denying what's going on.

I came here to post that quote - it's very telling. Mueller says VW gave their Engineers a target to hit, which they did, illegally. They looked at the law, and interpreted that they could get by with a defeat device.

And he doesn't understand why that's an ethical problem? I'd say the ethical problem persists.

Storz
Storz Dork
1/25/16 8:22 a.m.

And your weekly update on the VW Diesel fiasco

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-emissions-investigation-idUSKCN0V02E7

"Within the company there was a culture of 'we can do everything', so to say something cannot be done, was not acceptable," Sueddeutsche Zeitung said, quoting the VW internal report which included testimony from a staff member who took part in the fraud. "Instead of coming clean to the management board that it cannot be done, it was decided to commit fraud," Sueddeutsche reported in its Saturday edition
Storz
Storz Dork
3/24/16 9:54 a.m.

D-Day for VW

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/vw-is-on-the-hook-to-tell-a-judge-its-diesel-fix/

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
3/24/16 11:14 a.m.

Deadline, what "Deadline"

http://www.wsj.com/articles/judge-extends-deadline-for-vw-diesel-engine-fix-proposal-1458834493 said:

A federal judge has given Volkswagen AG another month to come up with a proposed solution to its diesel emissions problem in the U.S. after the German auto maker failed to meet an initial deadline.

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi New Reader
3/24/16 12:00 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: Deadline, what "Deadline" http://www.wsj.com/articles/judge-extends-deadline-for-vw-diesel-engine-fix-proposal-1458834493 said: A federal judge has given Volkswagen AG another month to come up with a proposed solution to its diesel emissions problem in the U.S. after the German auto maker failed to meet an initial deadline.

This is such a joke.

Storz
Storz Dork
3/24/16 12:47 p.m.
Devilsolsi wrote:
NOHOME wrote: Deadline, what "Deadline" http://www.wsj.com/articles/judge-extends-deadline-for-vw-diesel-engine-fix-proposal-1458834493 said: A federal judge has given Volkswagen AG another month to come up with a proposed solution to its diesel emissions problem in the U.S. after the German auto maker failed to meet an initial deadline.
This is such a joke.

Seriously. I am stuck with a car that I can't sell, can't trade in and don't want.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
3/24/16 3:27 p.m.

I'm still driving the Kraut-MPG-hammer, pre-fix not even the ECU emissions flash, until it fails spectacularly.

I figure, at best, I'm stuck for another 6 months before I can do anything with it, outside of another wreck that totals it.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
3/24/16 4:19 p.m.

Still loving our Sportwagen, sorry ya'll are having misgivings with yours. Ours just got it's best ever single tank MPG on a trip back from Pensacola.

Approaching the 36K mile warranty cutoff, and am debating whether or not to take it in for them to do something about the driver rear door panel that rattles, only single issue so far. I'm hesitant, because I know all they'll do is pull the panel and stick some foam tape on it, I can do that myself without the hassle of going to the dealer.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/24/16 5:05 p.m.
Storz wrote:
Devilsolsi wrote:
This is such a joke.
Seriously. I am stuck with a car that I can't sell, can't trade in and don't want.

Why can't you sell it?

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
3/24/16 5:06 p.m.

Great mileage and still polluting.

chiodos
chiodos Dork
3/24/16 5:22 p.m.

In reply to bigdaddylee82:

Do it, my friend had a new at the time 08 jetta tdi and would take it in once a week it seemed for random nit picky stuff before the warranty ran out. They replaced a bunch of things i was surprised about like the whole radio for something cosmetic i never noticed. He was ocd and they didnt mind at all. Ymmv

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/24/16 5:40 p.m.
Devilsolsi wrote:
This is such a joke.

Grow some balls. Bar VW from selling any cars in the US ever again. Confiscate their US factories and distribute them to other automakers who actually play by the rules. Let their dealer network die on the vine as the current car owners sue them into oblivion. In short, berkeley them.

(and I own three VWs)

Yes it will hurt in the short term. In the long term it would show that there won't be any wrist-slappery, and maybe consumers will be concerned about this instead of cheering VW on for sticking it to The Man for some unfathomably stupid reason.

This isn't me snarking. This is me serious. This isn't something that a simple fine or a little buy-back can fix. If other automakers see that the price of breaking the rules is minor, it will only encourage this kind of thing.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
3/24/16 6:29 p.m.
Slippery wrote:
Storz wrote:
Devilsolsi wrote:
This is such a joke.
Why can't you sell it?

Because there isn't any value in it. Pre-DieselGate, I was only 3k upside down. Post, I was closer to 8 or 9k. Now it's settled into 5-6k.

Plus "nobody" wants them. Nobody knows what's the fix, nor is there a timeframe on actually fixing them. Who wants something like that in the lot they can't sell "quick"?

Slippery
3/24/16 6:56 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote:
Slippery wrote:
Storz wrote:
Devilsolsi wrote:
This is such a joke.
Why can't you sell it?
Because there isn't any value in it. Pre-DieselGate, I was only 3k upside down. Post, I was closer to 8 or 9k. Now it's settled into 5-6k. Plus "nobody" wants them. Nobody knows what's the fix, nor is there a timeframe on actually fixing them. Who wants something like that in the lot they can't sell "quick"?

I am sure that if Storz brings it to Carmax they'll make him an offer and he can sell it. Now whether he likes the offer or not, that's a different problem.

Storz
Storz Dork
3/25/16 6:06 a.m.
Slippery wrote:
Storz wrote:
Devilsolsi wrote:
This is such a joke.
Why can't you sell it?

No one is buying them right now, I've had it listed on CL since like two weeks before the diesel news broke and I've received zero calls or emails about it. So yes, technically I can sell it, but with no one buying them its sorta tough.

Carmax won't touch it, nor will the KBB "Instant Offer" and rightfully so, why would a dealer take in a car they legally can't resell?

KBB doesn't even list the TDI as an option on the "Instant Offer" webpage

Storz
Storz SuperDork
3/25/16 7:48 a.m.
Craig_F wrote: In reply to Storz: Why don't you want it? If it's because it's time to move on, that makes sense. If you don't want it because of the cheat, that's dumb.

I had actually listed it for sale the week or two prior to the scandal news breaking, for me its time to move on. We have kiddo #2 on the way (and wanting to get a GSD in a year or two) and now living in the great northern state of Michigan (I bought the car when we were in NC) we'd like to have a 4wd SUV.

My biggest gripe with the whole fiasco is the loss in resale value/ability. I would happily drop it off at my local VW dealership if they'd trade me straight up for a nice used Touareg.

That said people wanting to get rid of them because of the cheat is a perfectly valid reason, they were sold a vehicle under false pretenses. What they own, is not what they were thought they were buying. No one likes a cheater.

Slippery
3/25/16 10:32 a.m.
Storz wrote: Carmax won't touch it, nor will the KBB "Instant Offer" and rightfully so, why would a dealer take in a car they legally can't resell?

Carmax CAN sell your car, as a matter of fact they have at least 3 TDIs for sale at the moment. Stock numbers:

To be honest with you, my main gripe about people blaming whoever regarding this VW deal is that they sound like excuses to me. VW berkeleyed up, no question about it. They offered some cash, if you dont agree maybe look for another recourse like trading it in at a VW dealer in order to get a better deal on another car and then sell that one.

This would be like me making excuses about how come I paid 250k for a house in 2005 and now it is worth 175k. I went ahead, sucked it up and bought another house for 300k that now is worth 500k. If average both, I got my money back. Thats it. I kept on paying my loan on the old one, rented it and moved on.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
3/25/16 10:37 a.m.

FYI: If you want to take advantage of VW's "Goodwill package" for those with "cheating" diesel engines, you have until the end of next month to register.
https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/goodwill_package_faqs/

$500 in dealer credit ought to pay for a DSG service and then some.

In reply to chiodos:

I called the advisor I tolerate at the VW dealer I hate the least, and scheduled an appointment for them to look at my door panel.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/25/16 10:50 a.m.

I haven't taken advantage of the offer yet. I keep thinking that it will come back to bite me once the real settlement finally gets here.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
3/25/16 10:58 a.m.
dyintorace wrote: I haven't taken advantage of the offer yet. I keep thinking that it will come back to bite me once the real settlement finally gets here.

Also:

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi New Reader
3/25/16 12:14 p.m.
Slippery wrote:
Storz wrote: Carmax won't touch it, nor will the KBB "Instant Offer" and rightfully so, why would a dealer take in a car they legally can't resell?
Carmax CAN sell your car, as a matter of fact they have at least 3 TDIs for sale at the moment. Stock numbers: 12268787 12129704 12940954 To be honest with you, my main gripe about people blaming whoever regarding this VW deal is that they sound like excuses to me. VW berkeleyed up, no question about it. They offered some cash, if you dont agree maybe look for another recourse like trading it in at a VW dealer in order to get a better deal on another car and then sell that one. This would be like me making excuses about how come I paid 250k for a house in 2005 and now it is worth 175k. I went ahead, sucked it up and bought another house for 300k that now is worth 500k. If average both, I got my money back. Thats it. I kept on paying my loan on the old one, rented it and moved on.

VW won't even take them. The problem is the EPA issue killed the values of them My car that was worth $12K before the scandal, is now $7K, which is $4K below what I owe. I have looked at a few cars at dealers and talked to them about trading in my Jetta. The highest offer I got was $3K, some even refused to consider taking it. They are all worried they will get stuck with a car they can't legally move.

I would love to get rid of my car, if I could. In theory you legally can sell them, there just aren't any buyers. And I am not willing to take a $4K hit on the car.

I don't really care what the solution is, recall, buy back, or nothing at all. Just make a decision so that owners and businesses can move on.

rslifkin
rslifkin HalfDork
3/25/16 12:16 p.m.

Hmm... With how low the values have dropped, this sounds like it might be time to go tdi shopping...

Slippery
3/25/16 12:32 p.m.
rslifkin wrote: Hmm... With how low the values have dropped, this sounds like it might be time to go tdi shopping...

You will not find these "deals". Go go cars.com And look for a Jetta Sportwagen TDI. The only I see for less than 10k have over 170k miles.

rslifkin
rslifkin HalfDork
3/25/16 12:38 p.m.
Slippery wrote:
rslifkin wrote: Hmm... With how low the values have dropped, this sounds like it might be time to go tdi shopping...
You will not find these "deals". Go go cars.com And look for a Jetta Sportwagen TDI. The only I see for less than 10k have over 170k miles.

Yeah, I just took a look on CL and it looks like nobody is willing to give one up for under $12k or so around here. And they're all dealer ads, none of the private owners are selling. Although I do know a guy who has one and is thinking about swapping it for something different... I should ask what he'd want for it...

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
musHt9yhDjX9NRPLaUtNFxRsX21AjFCysAwTLkeySnpwyipXVp3KlFj49aVuCkJr