1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/21/16 11:05 a.m.
Javelin wrote: There is no approved 2.0 "fix", they will *all* be bought back. (They are only fixing the 3.0 V6 ones). You will get $5000 and the full KBB Retail value from pre-dieselgate, or you can hold out for an individual suit. Either way, you aren't keeping the car.

I can't see that happening. There are a significant number of people that will want to keep the cars that will raise hell if the government insists they have to give up them up.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/21/16 11:06 a.m.
Devilsolsi wrote:
PMRacing wrote: If the BMW 330d came in manual I'd be jumping ship.
I believe the 335D did have a manual option..

I don't think so. The manual couldn't deal with the TQ output, IIRC.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
4/21/16 11:09 a.m.

No manual on 335D. Auto only.

That has long been a top consideration as a replacement for my current TDI even before the whole dieselgate scandal.

They did do an "M-sport" package in 2011 only, which added paddle shifters and some sportier trim bits and pieces.

dyintorace
4/21/16 11:21 a.m.

Update just posted:

WASHINGTON -- Volkswagen Group reached an agreement in principle with U.S. authorities to address the roughly 482,000 2.0-liter diesel VW and Audi vehicles with software designed to mask excess emissions in lab tests.

A U.S. judge announced today in a court hearing in San Francisco that VW has agreed to offer affected owners several options, including a buyback, lease cancellation and -- pending additional government testing and approval -- the option to have their vehicles modified.

The deal will also include “substantial compensation” for the affected owners, U.S. District Judge Charles Breyer said.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/21/16 11:37 a.m.
bigdaddylee82 wrote: In reply to Javelin: Speculation, theory, or fact? I'd sure like to see the source if fact.

We are getting word from the back end (the OE suppliers of the emissions equipment) that it is fact. Nobody landed the contract to tool up for repair parts, ergo there is no approved fix (for the US).

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/21/16 11:42 a.m.
dyintorace wrote: Update just posted: A U.S. judge announced today in a court hearing in San Francisco that VW has agreed to offer affected owners several options, including a buyback, lease cancellation and -- pending additional government testing and approval -- the option to have their vehicles modified.

This, specifically, is the hang up. VW and the suppliers (Bosch and Standard specifically) cannot engineer a combined hardware/software solution that will actually make the cars US-emissions legal on the 2.0's.

dyintorace
4/21/16 11:48 a.m.

In that case, the ONLY option would be to sell our car back to VW? Interesting.

rslifkin
rslifkin HalfDork
4/21/16 11:49 a.m.

They can probably get them to pass emissions with some mods to the EGR and programming changes, but doing it without a near-impossible urea injection retrofit would likely involve a HUGE mpg penalty.

Storz
Storz SuperDork
4/21/16 11:59 a.m.

More info

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/04/volkswagen-buy-back-fix-diesels-compensate-owners-environment/

http://www.autonews.com/article/20160421/OEM11/160429963/vw-and-u-s-government-reach-agreement-in-principle-to-settle-diesel

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
4/21/16 12:15 p.m.

new news......

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/apr/21/all-top-selling-cars-break-emissions-limits-in-real-world-tests

seems few if any diesels actually meet standards while in the real world

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/21/16 12:18 p.m.

We need a photoshop guru to make these stacks roll coal.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/21/16 1:49 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: new news...... http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/apr/21/all-top-selling-cars-break-emissions-limits-in-real-world-tests seems few if any diesels actually meet standards while in the real world

I posted that "speculation" a long time ago.

The big difference with VW is that they intentionally cheated to not make it. Everyone else is at least pretending to try.

Storz
Storz SuperDork
4/22/16 6:18 a.m.

So I am reading somewhat conflicting reports (and I realize at this point its all speculation) but some sources are saying buyback at 2015 FMV + 5000 cash, other places I've read says VW has set aside 1 billion to compensate owners which works out to about 2k per person (assuming ~480k 2.0 cars)

Wonder which is correct?

5k gets me a new daily to drive around, but 2k would be much tougher and obviously require me to add additional funds.

einy
einy Reader
4/22/16 6:27 a.m.

Automotive News yesterdays said VW set aside $10B to compensate US TDI owners, or ~ $20k/vehicle. Seems like buyback money levels of set-aside to me.

Storz
Storz SuperDork
4/22/16 6:38 a.m.
einy wrote: Automotive News yesterdays said VW set aside $10B to compensate US TDI owners, or ~ $20k/vehicle. Seems like buyback money levels of set-aside to me.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/22/16 7:49 a.m.

In reply to Storz:

Not all of them are still on the road. Not that it would help the math that much, though.

Storz
Storz SuperDork
6/28/16 6:23 a.m.

Well, today is the day we finally hear what is going to happen with the TDIs. Rumormill has been going and it sounds like prescandal value buybacks + compensation.

I'll be first in line

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
6/28/16 6:42 a.m.

E36 M3 this is still going to be a forever process.... Grrrrr. Between judge sign off, period of public comment, possible revisions to original settlement.... berkeley.

Storz
Storz SuperDork
6/28/16 9:34 a.m.

Looks like they are going to the crusher once bought back

VW Settlement Details

7.2.1. Vehicles Rendered Inoperable. All Eligible Vehicles returned to Settling Defendants through the Recall Program shall be rendered inoperable by removing the vehicle’s 9 APPENDIX A TO PARTIAL CONSENT DECREE MDL No. 2672 CRB (JSC) Case 3:15-md-02672-CRB Document 1605-1 Filed 06/28/16 Page 73 of 225 Engine Control Unit (“ECU”) and may be, to the extent possible, recycled to the extent permitted by law. No Eligible Vehicle that is rendered inoperable may subsequently be rendered operable except as allowed by and in compliance with subparagraph 7.2.3 below and Appendix B of this Consent Decree.
bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
6/28/16 9:43 a.m.

In reply to Storz:

I'm fine with that. I'm guessing that means VW has no reasonable fix in the works.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
6/28/16 10:06 a.m.

There's still too much ambiguity and "IFs" for those of us that want to keep our cheating TDIs.

https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/volkswagen-clean-air-act-partial-settlement

That reads as though an acceptable fix hasn't even been submitted yet. IF VW comes up with a fix and IF EPA & CARB approve it, VW has until June of 2019 to implement it. EPA & CARB will only approve a fix IF it reduces NOx emissions by 80-90% and at this point, no one knows IF a fix will be approved and for sure IF the fix will impact MPG, Maintenance, Reliability, etc.

Storz
Storz SuperDork
6/28/16 10:35 a.m.

Forget keeping these things, take a look at how much they are offering to buy them back for!

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-proceedings/refunds/volkswagen-settlement

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
6/28/16 10:46 a.m.
Storz wrote: Forget keeping these things, take a look at how much they are offering to buy them back for! https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-proceedings/refunds/volkswagen-settlement

Holly E36 M3 Balls! No way I did that right, let me check my math again.

Storz
Storz SuperDork
6/28/16 10:48 a.m.
bigdaddylee82 wrote:
Storz wrote: Forget keeping these things, take a look at how much they are offering to buy them back for! https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-proceedings/refunds/volkswagen-settlement
Holly E36 M3 Balls! No way I did that right, let me check my math again.

My reaction as well. They need to hit an 85% recall rate, so they are incentivized to make it happen. CHA CHING!

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
6/28/16 11:12 a.m.

I need to quit driving mine at this rate....

Although I did the maths and I'm at $20k right now as it sits plus any money on top..... That's just a few grand less then what I bought it for two years ago....

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
597JCbX6rEcRStvSjrdduzahEmOagwULYR4BQIRjugYZGkMIIKMilEDWusAXsS3i