Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/29/21 8:11 p.m.
Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/29/21 8:19 p.m.

The Engine is a 366 Cubic Inch Chevrolet small block-Custom built to look like an AMC Engine

Nope if you have to fake it then I'm not making it.

3/29/21 8:21 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

The Engine is a 366 Cubic Inch Chevrolet small block-Custom built to look like an AMC Engine

Nope if you have to fake it then I'm not making it.

Yeah I don't get that. It's not like it's hard to make an AMC motor live, and I don't understand how they "faked" it in the first place. Where's the Chevy distributor if the front one is fake?!?

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
3/29/21 9:15 p.m.

If anyone need a set of eyes on the car let me know,  I am about an hour away. 

Paul

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
3/29/21 9:29 p.m.

Anyone looking to buy a kidney? 'Cause I'd sell one to buy that.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
3/29/21 9:31 p.m.

Is there a chance the person that wrote the listing doesn't know anything and it's a real AMC motor?  I don't know the valve cover bolt configuration for AMC's off the top of my head so I can't say from that, but the distributor leaned over and out the front end like a Buick screams AMC to me.  And there's something going on at the rear where a Chevy would have a distributor, like an oil feed line, which makes sense since I believe the AMC V8's don't do great things with oiling from the factory.

Matthew Kennedy
Matthew Kennedy GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/29/21 9:50 p.m.

That's either an exceptional fakery job, or it's an AMC engine.  The water pump geometry, distributor placement, and valvecovers are all AMC.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/29/21 9:53 p.m.
Matthew Kennedy said:

That's either an exceptional fakery job, or it's an AMC engine.  The water pump geometry, distributor placement, and valvecovers are all AMC.

Yeah looking at it more it's an AMC engine.  Makes you wonder how much the seller knows about the car.

3/29/21 10:07 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:
Matthew Kennedy said:

Yeah looking at it more it's an AMC engine.  Makes you wonder how much the seller knows about the car.

I'm guessing not much because the photos of the car in competition aren't of the same car...

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
3/29/21 10:18 p.m.

This is not a T/A car.  It was first raced in 1990, and has a Chevy motor.  All the pictures shown in the listing are of the same car.

FMB42
FMB42 Reader
3/30/21 5:59 a.m.

There's a web based registry of the known to exist TA Javelins (100 were produced originally). tajavelin.com

Despite being competitive, the TA Javelins had a rather sad track history due largely to the incompetence of two of the high level members of the AMC race team. These two workers failed to enter certain newly developed parts into the official AMC parts system which caused much trouble in regard to qualifying for SCCA events.

3/30/21 7:21 a.m.
racerfink said:

This is not a T/A car.  It was first raced in 1990, and has a Chevy motor.  All the pictures shown in the listing are of the same car.

Good point, it's a GT1 car. That's what was throwing me in the photos as the flairs and exhaust changed over the years. 

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/30/21 7:40 a.m.
racerfink said:

FWIW, there are a lot of vintage re-creations out there.  I know of many Alfas TA cars that are vintage racing in BS or U25 TA that were never race cars back in the day.   If you want to go vintage racing, I would not say that an original race car car is required.

The bad part is when they are claimed to be actual race cars from the day, and they are not.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/30/21 7:53 a.m.
FMB42 said:

Despite being competitive, the TA Javelins had a rather sad track history due largely to the incompetence of two of the high level members of the AMC race team. These two workers failed to enter certain newly developed parts into the official AMC parts system which caused much trouble in regard to qualifying for SCCA events.

Then, despite knowing that they were now under close scrutiny for that screw-up, AMC tried to sneak some cars into grid with fiberglass quarter panels and got caught.

Bob Tarozzi, oh he of Hemi Dart/Barracuda fame, wrote a rather interesting series of articles for Mopar Action, and that included his time at AMC on the Trans Am Javelin program. He said there was a lot of basic stuff he took for granted at Chrysler that when he mentioned at AMC he just got blank stares

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
3/30/21 8:19 a.m.
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) said:
racerfink said:

FWIW, there are a lot of vintage re-creations out there.  I know of many Alfas TA cars that are vintage racing in BS or U25 TA that were never race cars back in the day.   If you want to go vintage racing, I would not say that an original race car car is required.

The bad part is when they are claimed to be actual race cars from the day, and they are not.

I was just at Sebring last Thursday, and a rather prominent accident attorney from the Tampa Bay area had a ‘69 Camaro there, complete with Penske-Sunoco livery and vinyl top.  The 358ci NASCAR motor gives it nearly twice the horsepower a proper Traco 302 would in a proper T/A car from the period.  He offered to let anybody drive it that wanted to, but the new brake system he had put on failed on his first full lap.  Luckily, no damage, but it sat in the paddock the rest of the day.

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/30/21 8:59 a.m.

In reply to racerfink :

I have a friend who is making Alfa motors that make considerably more power than they did in the day, too.  Lots of TIG welding involved.   And the changes make it almost impossible to fully know about- which is the opposite of crank triggered ignition or fuel injection- both of which I also know happen in vintage racing.

Which is more to say that a car like the original is just fine.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/30/21 9:34 a.m.

Definitely a Nash motor.  Maybe the engine builder used Chevrolet pistons or rods or something, and it got confused from there.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/30/21 5:18 p.m.
racerfink said:

Are there any pictures of the car with the chevy engine in it? I can not identify what that engine is (and it could be a GM engine for all I know) but it ain't a chebby!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G2LS0p91xzIwzDzYjQMLQDFMQYpyBF4s1KzpGiA6CJPMjUpfh4shFOj9R7L4gbxs