1 2
DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath HalfDork
10/18/11 6:48 p.m.

Anybody swapped one of these into a car? Seems like the combination of coming from a really heavy bike, 1800cc displacement and shaft drive would make them ideal for swapping into a car.

MG_Bryan
MG_Bryan Reader
10/18/11 6:58 p.m.

On a related thought, does anyone here know if a the differential out of a shaft drive trike would be up to the task in a locost or similar vehicle?

FlightService
FlightService Dork
10/18/11 7:03 p.m.

Here is what I know

A very popular trike kit uses a cut down 8.8 out of a mustang.

the reverse (which is why I would think you would want to get this instead of a faster bike) is run on the electric starter motor. It is very slow, but does back up.

that is all I know.

MG_Bryan
MG_Bryan Reader
10/18/11 7:09 p.m.

In reply to FlightService:

I had assumed they used something lighter than that. Thanks for the info

Hal
Hal Dork
10/18/11 7:09 p.m.

Depending on what car you want to put it in the width of the Goldwing engine may be a problem.

FlightService
FlightService Dork
10/18/11 7:53 p.m.

In reply to MG_Bryan:

I am sure as the kits have gotten more popular they have adapted to cheaper and lighter alternatives. This was on one of the first kits they used. Based on volume I would make a safe bet it is an automotive unit modified and cut down. Nothing unique.

Just use a Miata or RX7/8 rear

Have fun!

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/18/11 7:53 p.m.

Goldwing engine wouldn't fit in a standard Locost frame. Finding one new enough to have reverse usually isn't really cheaper than an automotive engine/trans either.

FlightService
FlightService Dork
10/18/11 7:54 p.m.

The BMW engine has always seemed intriguing to me because the transmission is bolted to the engine, unlike the Jap bikes that use integrated units.

mw
mw HalfDork
10/18/11 8:35 p.m.

I've often thought about putting a goldwing engine in a car. I have yet to find a good deal on one of the newer ones, but I don't really look that hard. I'm not sire which way the drive shaft turns, that could be an issue.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
10/18/11 8:46 p.m.

Does anyone have a real honest weight of a goldwing 1500/1800? This is pretty much the dream swap for my Fiat but I keep reading weights north of 350lbs. I understand that is with a transmission and all but that is still heavier than an accord V6. If it is closer to 250 I will bite the bullet and buy one.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath HalfDork
10/18/11 8:51 p.m.
Hal wrote: Depending on what car you want to put it in the width of the Goldwing engine may be a problem.

My basic idea is to put it north south in a front engine, rear wheel drive franken Festiva wagon. Considering that engine bay was designed for an engine four cylinders wide, I think the Goldwing will fit.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath HalfDork
10/18/11 8:53 p.m.
mw wrote: I've often thought about putting a goldwing engine in a car. I have yet to find a good deal on one of the newer ones, but I don't really look that hard. I'm not sire which way the drive shaft turns, that could be an issue.

If you don't have an issue running a stick axle in the back, just flip it over. That's what I'm planning.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath HalfDork
10/18/11 9:00 p.m.

Anybody know if they have oiling problems with g side loading? How they handle boost? If they can rev higher than 6,000 rpm?

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Reader
10/18/11 9:13 p.m.

This guy started down that road with a Honda ST1300 engine in a Metropolitan: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=11603

Spoiler: Sadly he changes his mind, fits a Wankle in it, and then the thread just fizzles out.

• Lee
ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/19/11 1:03 a.m.
ditchdigger wrote: Does anyone have a real honest weight of a goldwing 1500/1800? This is pretty much the dream swap for my Fiat but I keep reading weights north of 350lbs. I understand that is with a transmission and all but that is still heavier than an accord V6. If it is closer to 250 I will bite the bullet and buy one.

How 'bout between 240 and 280 (probably 280 for the 1800):
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum4/10449.html
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/23427.html

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath HalfDork
10/19/11 3:50 a.m.
ditchdigger wrote: Does anyone have a real honest weight of a goldwing 1500/1800? This is pretty much the dream swap for my Fiat but I keep reading weights north of 350lbs. I understand that is with a transmission and all but that is still heavier than an accord V6. If it is closer to 250 I will bite the bullet and buy one.

Engine tranny, according to Google, weigh 280 lbs.

BTW, did I find you elsewhere on the interwebs? http://www.iggythebiker.com/post159

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath HalfDork
10/19/11 3:54 a.m.

Looking around, it seems like the VMax might be a better donor.

FlightService
FlightService Dork
10/19/11 7:46 a.m.

1800 is lighter than the 1500 FWIW

FlightService
FlightService Dork
10/19/11 8:22 a.m.

http://www.championsidecars.com/

they built their own

ransom
10/19/11 8:37 a.m.

As long as we're expanding to other big shaft-drive bike engines, I've wondered about the 2.3 liter (!) triple from the Triumph Rocket III.

PS122
PS122 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/19/11 8:54 a.m.

I love the idea of a torquey bike engine in a lightweight car. I wanted to put one in the formula vee chassis that I used to own. Not nearly as many Gold Wings get balled-up (the way sportbikes do) - so prices are relatively high.

ransom
10/19/11 9:14 a.m.

I can't mention the Rocket III without taking the opportunity to link this very funny informational video about said bike.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
10/19/11 9:41 a.m.
ransom wrote: How 'bout between 240 and 280 (probably 280 for the 1800):

Never mind then. That is still chunky. Add an IRS diff into that and it not only adds over 125lbs to the ass end of my rear engined car but it is almost 100 percent past the axle line. At least the bulk of the weight of a fiat/VW/porsche/Audi trans is forward of the axle.

Another dream smashed

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
10/19/11 9:57 a.m.
ditchdigger wrote:
Never mind then. That is still chunky. Add an IRS diff into that and it not only adds over 125lbs to the ass end of my rear engined car but it is almost 100 percent past the axle line. At least the bulk of the weight of a fiat/VW/porsche/Audi trans is forward of the axle. Another dream smashed

So your present engine, transmission and diff weighs less than 405 lbs?

Raze
Raze SuperDork
10/19/11 10:07 a.m.
carguy123 wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
Never mind then. That is still chunky. Add an IRS diff into that and it not only adds over 125lbs to the ass end of my rear engined car but it is almost 100 percent past the axle line. At least the bulk of the weight of a fiat/VW/porsche/Audi trans is forward of the axle. Another dream smashed
So your present engine, transmission and diff weighs less than 405 lbs?

Fiat 850, turbo, check reader's rides...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cbGrylCdl2Yg3u37G9EdcLkuBnuAHoNUXPLb2yPhGytJjVug3tgUtkIlh0V5aggX