Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
9/23/22 8:22 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Rule "Clarification" @ 1:50

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
9/23/22 8:27 a.m.

It aluminum fatigued/stress cracked broke.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/23/22 9:28 a.m.

Day 5 Livestream going hot shortly.  Hoping to see some crazy numbers the last day.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
9/23/22 9:36 a.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

10am cst.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
9/23/22 9:49 a.m.

Yeah, that's bogus.  That trailer was carrying his race tires etc.  Seems to be the spirit of the rules would be if your trailer is carrying stuff you need to compete, you can't use outside help to get it moved around.  You can still compete as is, on street tires, or you can fix your trailer and bring it yourself

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/22 10:09 a.m.
Ranger50 said:

Took advantage of the 50F air.....

One pass and done! 12.94@112!

Off to WWT!!!

Hell yeah!!

RacetruckRon
9/23/22 10:13 a.m.

In reply to Ranger50 :

They are throwing me for a loop today on the start time

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/23/22 10:29 a.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

I guarantee Bailey and Morris try to get a 5.xxx today. They really wanted to average low 6s/high 5s and haven't done that, so I'm sure they'll swing for the fences today. 

9/23/22 10:30 a.m.
docwyte said:

Yeah, that's bogus.  That trailer was carrying his race tires etc.  Seems to be the spirit of the rules would be if your trailer is carrying stuff you need to compete, you can't use outside help to get it moved around.  You can still compete as is, on street tires, or you can fix your trailer and bring it yourself

HRDW Rulebook says:

•All entries are required to use purpose-built drag-race drive tires on the track, including slicks, DOT-approved slicks, or drag radials. No conventional treaded street tires.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/22 10:39 a.m.

That's a E36 M3ty trailer design 

9/23/22 10:41 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Agreed.

I just didn't want to be the one who said it.

RacetruckRon
9/23/22 10:57 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

An unsupported aluminum butt joint weld at the main point of stress concentration. Smort.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/23/22 11:41 a.m.

To Bailey's credit, I don't believe he was actively trying to cheat. The trailer came apart in the left lane of a four-lane highway, they didn't have anyway to readily fix it, it was a serious safety hazard where it was, so a rollback was the quickest and easiest way to avoid an accident. He also didn't try to actively conceal it or anything (unlike the guy on the first Drag Week that was towing the turbo 4200-powered Nova wagon to within a couple miles of the tracks and checkpoints and then unloading it and rolling in under his own power), video shows him rolling right into the track with the rollback behind him it and he appeared to have discussed it with DW officials. It definitely does seem a weird loophole, and hopefully one that gets addressed in rules next year. 

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/23/22 12:03 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Safety related emergencies are covered in the rules allowing assistance to a nearby safe location, not to the next track.

gumby
9/23/22 12:29 p.m.

8.58 from Tabscott with his N/A small block!!

I hope he has plans for getting more weight out of the car to offset the cage updates that are coming

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
9/23/22 1:28 p.m.

And rain.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/23/22 1:32 p.m.

Tom Bailey's 6.83 yesterday was with only 80% throttle (they have a weird throttle cable issue going on) and Tom letting out at the 1/8th mile mark on accident, and then pulling the parachute before the 1320-foot marker. That's absolutely mental.

Also, I noticed in the videos on Tom's channel, Bryant Goldstone with the Javelin just seems totally over Drag Week. Last year, during 1320video's coverage he was pretty meh about the whole event and before the crash pretty much just said he wanted the event over. On the first day this year, he said after the crash he was he was seriously considering just getting rid of the car and then was talked into fixing it. He seemed a bit happier on day two and three when it picked it up some but then yesterday had issues and just seemed really down and out and said "Sometimes I wonder if the aggravation is really worth it." 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
9/23/22 1:34 p.m.
gumby said:

In reply to NickD :

Safety related emergencies are covered in the rules allowing assistance to a nearby safe location, not to the next track.

So define safe location? To me for what he has in it, safe location is within my eyesight. I mean these guys are carrying pro jacks for gosh sakes.... Try replacing those if you had to leave it at a place off the road and when you come back and everything is "gone".

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
9/23/22 4:01 p.m.

Still the current situation.

EDIT: called. sad

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
9/23/22 4:08 p.m.

I saw that on the livestream, not the way anyone wanted that to end :(

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
9/23/22 4:47 p.m.

#hotroddragweek22 #notmurdernova #theplanb_mustang

I'll have more to post when I get home..... 7.5hrs and a time zone change away. 

gumby
9/23/22 8:49 p.m.
Ranger50 said:

So define safe location?

No.

That last bit at the end? Yeah, it means none of our opinions matter.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/23/22 9:59 p.m.

I say it every year. As much as I like DragWeek, I wish it was a "run what you brung and race with what you brung with you."

That means you finish on the same tires you start with. If you brought a trailer to haul your E36 M3, you run the 1/4 with the trailer.

The way it is going now, it is only a matter of time before someone figures how to attach a trailer to a Top Fuel rail and tries to run the current event.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
9/23/22 10:49 p.m.

In reply to gumby :

It also says "car". Nowhere does that include trailer. It's splitting hairs here, but I'll stick to my original define a safe location.

I met both tech/race director people on this journey.... Both are very laidback until you really twist the interpolated rules... 

Also Drag Week generates editorial and social media content just like the grm challenge does.. How will the spin be on losing be taken if you're dq'd for using a loophole that may or may not be specifically written into the rules. I mean I like the trailer rule now if anything as long as it's single axle.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
9/23/22 10:53 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Mid America Kustoms tried that at SickWeek with a super comp/gas style altered. It didn't finish.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
edhrP6zGIf78296QC5RRcbj2bUa6qh4xjj2CP2v2ylJdo8IVlwZIOAC9TIubV2vc