1 2 3
neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
6/8/10 2:19 p.m.

CL is good, but I have much better luck with the binghamton listings than I do Ithaca, so far 2-0

2002maniac
2002maniac Reader
6/8/10 3:33 p.m.

I never have trouble finding cool cars when I'm not supposed to buy them. Now that I've sold my daily driver to buy a new one, I can't find crap!

Otto_Maddox
Otto_Maddox Reader
6/8/10 3:41 p.m.

I've got money burning a hole in my pocket and the wife's approval of a 3-series convertible or something similar. I can't find anything local, and I don't have time to drive to Atlanta to look around.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
6/8/10 4:04 p.m.

Yea, I'm trying to find a Subaru and the closest good one is 4 hours away.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
6/8/10 4:06 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: Yea, I'm trying to find a Subaru and the closest good one is 4 hours away.

Have you checked out NASIOC? There's usually good stuff on the local boards for sale.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 New Reader
6/8/10 4:15 p.m.

We have a print publication called "Mid-Virginia Trading Post" that I find at convenience stores and the local Food Lion. Found my '88 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II and the '66 Nova there. Also found a '76 Kawasaki KZ-400 with less than 2000 miles on it from a free local paper. Bought it for $100. Bike runs great.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 New Reader
6/8/10 4:17 p.m.

If you want a bargain, check the print ads. Internet is a more efficient market--you'll pay more. Hit the print ads. You're more likely to snag a sweet deal.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
6/8/10 4:21 p.m.

Charleston's teh suck for cheap project cars. If you go further inland, there's a rag called The Carolina Trader (like Pennysaver) which has some real gems from time to time.

VonSmallhausen
VonSmallhausen GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/8/10 4:25 p.m.

I got both of my cars the real good old fashion way, word of mouth. I kid you not just telling people your into cars can open some interesting doors. For example my project car (1973 Stag) came from a man at church who jokingly asked if I wanted to buy it knowing I liked cars (to his surprise I did). I got my parts car in sorta the same fashion....moral is that old fashion ways can work great

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
6/8/10 4:38 p.m.
VonSmallhausen wrote: I got both of my cars the real good old fashion way, word of mouth. I kid you not just telling people your into cars can open some interesting doors. For example my project car (1973 Stag) came from a man at church who jokingly asked if I wanted to buy it knowing I liked cars (to his surprise I did). I got my parts car in sorta the same fashion....moral is that old fashion ways can work great

This does work as well. It's how I got my 10th Anniversary Edition Trans Am project. It's also how I've gotten a lot of cheap/free car parts over the years.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
6/8/10 5:30 p.m.

Yes, I've been on Nasioc since about 2001. Unfortunately, everything seems to be expensive and already modified.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
6/8/10 5:41 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: Yes, I've been on Nasioc since about 2001. Unfortunately, everything seems to be expensive and already modified.

Booooo....

Right now there are two cheap Subaru projects on there up here in my local section (NESIC). Both are under $1000! Maybe it's different down there in FL, there are tons of cheap Subarus up here.

ronbros
ronbros Reader
6/8/10 5:49 p.m.

HEY, Per,, go to, boost logic .com, austin tx, then call Russell, he knows more about Subys, than anyone iv met.

ask about his bad ass drift suby, he is buildin, i seen it and it looks like itll be a contender. he may know where a car is? tellem Ron Brothers said HI!

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
6/8/10 9:21 p.m.

I almost run of the roads on long trips, because I'm constantly snooping backyards and driveways for potential projects. Really.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
6/8/10 9:30 p.m.

I bought my last one by accident from eBay. Threw out what I considered a lowball offer, ended up winning it anyway.

Never search the net after drinking a 6 pack..

unevolved
unevolved Reader
6/8/10 10:01 p.m.

By accident, usually.

Found a Maserati Biturbo under a tree today, but didn't even stop.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
6/8/10 10:19 p.m.

Why? Were you afraid Clarkson would drop a piano on it?

unevolved
unevolved Reader
6/8/10 11:52 p.m.

I have an old Volvo and an old Mazda, I don't need another project car.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 New Reader
6/9/10 6:27 a.m.
unevolved wrote: By accident, usually. Found a Maserati Biturbo under a tree today, but didn't even stop.

Good move!

3Door4G
3Door4G Reader
6/9/10 10:22 a.m.

When I need a new car, I walk around the neighborhood until I see something I like. Then I mark my territory.

Hey if it works for cats, it'll work for me too.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/9/10 10:27 a.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: Yea, I'm trying to find a Subaru and the closest good one is 4 hours away.

I had to drive 12 hours for mine. It was worth it though.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/9/10 10:39 a.m.

I've got a bunch of CL searches set up and monitor them via my RSS reader(s) - mainly for stuff I know I need like a 4WD car or truck for the winter and a bunch of ebay searches for a track car that I'd like to purchase before my birthday this year.

The latter has nothing to do with my local SCCA chapter holding a HPDE day at Reno-Fernley on my birthday . Oh no.

madmallard
madmallard New Reader
6/9/10 11:47 a.m.

carsforagrand.com ?

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Reader
6/9/10 12:18 p.m.
Clay wrote: I have a CL search with a bunch of keywords that I do for the two closest CL areas. I have these in a IGoogle gadget so everytime I open my browser and igoogle pops up I see the latest additions. This helps me catch most good deasl within 1 hour of them posting (if I'm at work). Here's a screenshot. Sorry about the size. (Note the $400 B M W under Cool Cars): I also search "All Cars" under $1500 once a day or so since some people just don't know what they have. Found a 200ZXSER (200SX SE-R) that way. I also use Searchtempest. Just a tip, if you want to search multiple things at once put this in the Cl search (Miata|RX7|E30) etc and it will find ANY of the items inside the parentheses between the bars. Then just bookmark the results and you can check them any time for added posts.

How did you do that? What was the gadget called? I love iGoggle as a home page.

lewbud
lewbud Reader
6/9/10 2:08 p.m.

I cruise CL at least once a day. When I had some extra money, couldn't find a car I wanted. Now that I have no money, I seem to run across everything I want. Funny how it works that way.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LLP2pEsqALcpHXX8i7Kdjs2fspnbKMh9vfuIcB7wXvlbfiU97d8pzKz3hEJ8RTQi