1 2
Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/7/17 6:11 p.m.

I just noticed this. 

The tires are brand new(less than 30-miles) though they were mounted the week before the Challenge. It looks like damage from mounting, but since I ordered the tires from Tire Rack I don't expect the local Firestone will do anything about it. 

Is the damage serious enough to replace the tire?

alstevens
alstevens New Reader
11/7/17 6:27 p.m.

If it's for your mower or wheel barrow it's probably ok

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/7/17 6:28 p.m.

Yikes. I'd send a photo to tire rack and see what happens. Honestly though, it looks like there is some rim damage there too. 

Pete Gossett
11/7/17 6:55 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

There's definitely rim damage, but the car is 8-years old w/190k on it, so it's hard to tell if the damage is recent. However, the white smear is remnants of their tire lube from installation. 

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/7/17 7:31 p.m.

Looks like a manufacturing defect to me. Probably foreign material between the sidewall and rim cushion components. Tire Rack or the manufacturer of the tire should replace it.

Take a close look at the other tires that you bought at the same time before you call Tire Rack.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
11/7/17 7:35 p.m.

That is not mounting damage.  No way.  That was scuffed against something very sidewalk like.

I wouldn't worry about running it, as long as the cords are not damaged.  

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/7/17 7:38 p.m.

I don't see any cords so the carcass shouldn't be damaged. I'd probably run it.  

Pete Gossett
11/7/17 7:40 p.m.

In reply to ShawneeCreek :

I did inspect them all tonight - I went out to air up the tires because the TPMS light was on & that's when I noticed this. It was the only Tire with damage. 

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/7/17 7:48 p.m.

Did you get Hazard Insurance?  Some places offer something like it.  Driving local, I guess it would be ok, high speed running I don't know.  I don't see yellow wheels, daily driver?  Tires and brakes are a thing with me.

Pete Gossett
11/7/17 7:51 p.m.

In reply to Dirtydog :

It apparently comes with tires from Tire Rack. I'll call tomorrow & ask them about it. This is our 09 Fit, now our oldest daughter's car, and on its way to Germany in a few weeks. 

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
11/7/17 7:51 p.m.

Doesn't Tire Rack offer free road hazard protection on everything they sell these days? From the photos it sure looks like it rubbed against something quite solid and rough, which gouged that chunk out along the way.

Dirtydog
11/7/17 7:53 p.m.

Hope she won't be testing the Autobahn right away.  Safe trip to all concerned.

Dirtydog
11/7/17 7:56 p.m.

Fit seems to fit.  Tires giving you fits , Fits giving you fits, daughters..... (I have one too) etc.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
11/7/17 8:03 p.m.

I’ve taken to a mixed approach on mounting tires.

I take pictures of each wheel and tire before taking them in for mounting,.

I cut the old tires off by hand with a shop knife to eliminate 50% of the idiot factor.

I mention this effort specifically to said tire mounting guy.

I then offer extra bucks - read $15 wheel bribe to not F up my wheels as I believe his mounting guy can do a great job if he chooses too.

I go home after paying to much with roughly 75% competence at mounting tires.

Sigh...

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
11/7/17 8:28 p.m.

Now that I see it on the big screen, that is the most obvious curb rash I've ever seen.  If you have road hazard that will cover it, use it.  Otherwise, don't worry about it.

Pete Gossett
11/7/17 8:45 p.m.
Dirtydog said:

I've demanded she take it around Nurburgring at least once. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/7/17 9:31 p.m.

That sure looks like curb rash.  I don't think you could do that with a tire machine if you tried.  I'd drive it like that but based on just the picture I would't leave it on my wife's car.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/8/17 7:15 a.m.

I concur with others that is curb rash. Having mounted many tires I am not sure how you would do that on a tire machine.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/8/17 8:37 a.m.
Toyman01 said:

I don't see any cords so the carcass shouldn't be damaged. I'd probably run it.  

+1

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
11/8/17 11:26 a.m.

It probably won't pas TUV inspection as-is, so I'd see what you could do as far as the road hazard/replacement warranty.  The aluminum in the damaged spot on the wheel looks clean, so it probably did happen at the same time.

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi HalfDork
11/8/17 11:40 a.m.

Germany will likely require snow tires this time of year.  Or, at least, assign partial blame if you're found in an accident not wearing them

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/8/17 12:18 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:
Dirtydog said:

I've demanded she take it around Nurburgring at least once. 

y'all are aware of the whole M&S thing, right?  (that if there's snow/ice on the pavement you're required to be running a m&s or "snow mountain" rated tire... and only up to the tires speed rating)

edit to point out mikeatrpi is saying the same thing

Dirtydog
11/8/17 3:56 p.m.

Nurburgring.   Bucket list stuff.   Well Pete with the whole M+S tire thing in Germany, I guess 4 Blizzaks are in the future.

Pete Gossett
11/8/17 7:25 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

No, that's news to me. We went with DWS again(4th set on this car), although it looks like they've changed the tread pattern. 

Is the M&S thing for all of Germany? Fwiw they'll be at Ramstien. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/8/17 7:34 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to sleepyhead :

No, that's news to me. We went with DWS again(4th set on this car), although it looks like they've changed the tread pattern. 

Is the M&S thing for all of Germany? Fwiw they'll be at Ramstien. 

Yup, all of Germany... they don't have to be Snow's... there's some A/S's that are M&S rated...
http://europe.stripes.com/community-news/prepare-winter-driving-germany

If you/she ends up with spare time around Frankfurt, feel free to drop me a PM

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yYiloerMbZAvIkqsioM46ArxU29KtcQM8vnHOyUeI5OIIKWWuSX9jOfgbMrOpv0Z