1 2 3
ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
3/27/12 11:49 a.m.

What's Autocross?

"remember in highschool when you and your friends would go raise hell in a parking lot with your cars? Burnouts, sliding around, that kind of crap?"

if they answer "no, we didn't do that:" "Oh. Well, I'm sorry you wasted your childhood."

if they answer"Yes!": "Well, it's like that except it's legal so we don't get chased by the cops, and you can do it in broad daylight. And it's timed, so there are trophies."

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
3/27/12 1:01 p.m.

I like that drag racing with turns thing. I think I'll start using it. And njansenv is right, a ride-along usually gets the point across pretty well.

cwh
cwh UberDork
3/27/12 2:13 p.m.

Autocross= Driving as fast as possible while going nowhere at great expense. Close enough?

hkboyinca
hkboyinca
3/28/12 4:23 p.m.

I was getting my co-worker to go autocross with him. He consider himself a "gear head." He owned a RSX and has a brand new Z4 right now. He has no idea what autocross is and he asked me how fast will he be going, I told him no usually no faster then 60mph or go beyond 2nd gear. Then he gave me this "look"

He has a nice car but doesn't really drive it, no wonder he's already bored with Z4.

Apparently he has never done a oil change on a car, and loves BIG WHEELS. He had 18's on his RSX and wants to go bigger on his Z4.

Well, some people just aren't autocross material.

Autocross doesn't seem very exciting on paper, and i don't know why i am doing it neither.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
3/28/12 7:31 p.m.
hkboyinca wrote: I was getting my co-worker to go autocross with him. He consider himself a "gear head." He owned a RSX and has a brand new Z4 right now. He has no idea what autocross is and he asked me how fast will he be going, I told him no usually no faster then 60mph or go beyond 2nd gear. Then he gave me this "look"

Yeah, I've seen that look. Sometimes you can bring their interest back with, "So, when's the last time you went 60 in a parking lot?"

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/28/12 7:43 p.m.

I try to explain to people that it is all relevant. Plant your but in a go cart and go 45 mph and I get you will think you are doing 150 MPH. Do 60 in a parking lot and things get interesting fast. Do 130 down the front strait of any large road course and it is rather boring.

Autocross is a different skill set than road course racing.

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
3/28/12 7:49 p.m.

"Ever been to a Star Wars convention? Replace the light sabers with cars...and Princess Leia with a bunch of dudes in floppy hats."

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TR15c2D2kL9QHU9JbuQUIYLYMbK86dHWrMTR3NwXfaAnqDHNlYfksSROOkD7p8dq