1 2 3 4
Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
9/8/13 10:47 a.m.

I'm almost embarrassed at how accommodating Stace is. She loved the E30s, and now has mild decision issues as to whether to take the 964 or Miata when she goes out by herself. We've had over 20 cars in our 5 year marriage, and if I said tomorrow 'lets buy xxxxx', she'd grin and say "ok". She trusts that I won't put the family in financial jeopardy, and knows that I'm a cheapskate at heart. She does, however, remind me that my eyes are bigger than my stomach when it comes to some projects (a reminder I appreciate!) and doesn't like Volvo's or old Mercedes.

Hal
Hal SuperDork
9/8/13 2:06 p.m.

My wife is not into "cars" but has approved of the ones I bought. She understands my "need to mod" and accepts it. Our first date was when I took her to an Auto-X. The Transit Connect is the first one she could drive(first automatic) and she has it as much as I do anymore.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
9/8/13 3:00 p.m.

It's been a process of acculturation with my partner. She wasn't into any cars but her own Mazda3 (that she really liked) when we met, but since then she's gotten quite used to how i roll and looks at cars much differently. She's an artist and i think that's been very helpful in relating over the car thing because i can explain what i like in terms of design or process or making something out of nothing, and how my payoffs are sometimes very abstract. I think in some ways she understands 'the car thing' as it is for me, better than a lot of other car enthusiasts do.

That's not to say she has the same interest in driving or cars as i do. I think our biggest similarity when it comes to cars is liking a fairly broad range of stuff. Since we've been together, out of the probably 20-25 cars she's been around, she's liked my Dodge Caravan, Honda Insight, Dodge Magnum, Honda CRX, Mitsubishi Montero, 82 Lebaron Convertible, 77 Volvo 242, and Plymouth Arrow Truck. And, we just bought her a Prius.

I think the only car of mine she has really disliked was one of my Dodge Dynastys, but i think that was just because she had a habit of getting stabbed by the top corner of the driver's door.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
9/8/13 9:28 p.m.

Over 11 years, the only vehicle the ex-g/f tolerated riding in was the Cummins - but mainly when it was when it was hauling something for her. She spent more time in that truck than all of my other cars over the 11 years combined. She drove it to work once as a joke for her co-workers, although refused to drive it afterwards. Whenever we went anywhere together we took one of her cars or drove separately. She hated the Integra... I didn't own the Audi very long, but she may have ridden in it a couple of times. She never liked riding in my TDi, although did from time to time when she didn't want to drive. I don't recall her ever riding in any of my classic cars (Spit 6 or GT6) and the only time she rode in the E30 was when I test drove it. We were split up by the time I got the Mini on the road.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
9/8/13 10:50 p.m.

I just bought a 73 Volvo 142 today. Told the wife after I bought it (hey honey guess what I just picked up)....she just shook her head and smiled lol. It's a pretty neat car though, so I think she'll dig it after a little tlc.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5H2VesRXEJ7i3ww9bhBK6NZAYj9Hvc3MD3V0BpO5Xw4AKXd4GdHxs1QY4Jh153g0