1 2
RoadRacer78
RoadRacer78 New Reader
10/16/10 4:18 p.m.

I first put wheel to track at 27.

StevenFV19
StevenFV19 Reader
10/17/10 7:34 p.m.

My Dad was racing before I was born, I was pretty much raised at the track. My first SCCA Crew pass is a picture of me being held up by my mom, trying to stay out of the camera's view. Then there's onw when I'm 2 or 3 where I'm standing next to my dad's Reynard and my head barely comes up to the top of the tire. My first on-track competition when I was 13 with www.endurancekarting.com

Steven

RoadRacer78
RoadRacer78 New Reader
10/17/10 9:38 p.m.
StevenFV19 wrote: My Dad was racing before I was born, I was pretty much raised at the track. My first SCCA Crew pass is a picture of me being held up by my mom, trying to stay out of the camera's view. Then there's onw when I'm 2 or 3 where I'm standing next to my dad's Reynard and my head barely comes up to the top of the tire. My first on-track competition when I was 13 with www.endurancekarting.com Steven

Man! I wish I got started that early.

The last National I ran at Mid Ohio I was on the podium with two kids that were so young that their ages +6 years didn’t add up to mine. I think if you weighed them, both of them combined would have been just over what I weigh. Racing at 15 would have been great……or I would have killed myself right away. Hard to tell.

Jethro
Jethro New Reader
10/18/10 6:40 p.m.

I started racing bikes at 17, then cars at 23, and my son started racing karts at 9, and he moved to cars at 18, he's almost 20 and we are going to build his street ACR into a roadracer this winter, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

fasted58
fasted58 Dork
8/19/11 7:38 p.m.

canoe attack

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
8/19/11 8:15 p.m.

Do you have any radios for sale?

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
8/19/11 8:26 p.m.

Kablooey.

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/19/11 8:35 p.m.

my start in motorsports/cars came when I was a toddler, often times I could be found under my stroller like it was a car and I was a mechanic, and I had one of the super cool injection molded plastic corvette beds, then on to RC cars, bicycles, racing simulators (GPL, rFactor, GTR2, GTL, iRacing, stuff like that), then I attended my first autocross school, had a head gasket go kerblammo at the end of a slalom, didn't do anything further until getting the Miata last september and doing the last two autocrosses of the season before throwing some suspension bits at it and doing a few autocrosses this season

mk2mer
mk2mer Reader
8/19/11 8:48 p.m.

I'm 38 and I still haven't really started. Always wanted to but never seems to be enough time or money to try.

Is there a time that's "too late" to take up motorsport? I'm inclined to think "no" but I'm sure starting at a very young age is ideal.

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
8/20/11 8:31 a.m.

Not early enough. I was 26 when I ran my first event. Now I am a senior citizen and still having fun.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
8/20/11 9:09 a.m.
mk2mer wrote: I'm 38 and I still haven't really started. Always wanted to but never seems to be enough time or money to try. Is there a time that's "too late" to take up motorsport? I'm inclined to think "no" but I'm sure starting at a very young age is ideal.

Never too late. I rallied and autocrossed from college graduation, but didn't start road racing until I was 44. I won the ITB club championship at my local track (Waterford Hills) when I was 51, so get on with it Son !!

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
8/20/11 9:23 a.m.

My Dad was a stock car racer from about the time I was born. He was different than most dads of the time, and took me everywhere he went. I was the parts cleanup guy at the shared garage at the age of 3, and started turning wrenches about a year later. At 5 I was the driver as they pushed the cars around the shop, and alley to move them. I didn't actually start racing until I was 13. At 10, I had to make the choice between a race kart, and goalie equipment. I chose the goalie equipment.

13 year old Woof, probably my second race.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Arh4prMuEdoSsM88lWEwfRTWFRgIs8cvy7shoq80a9Lecz7zwwvymERkIHvBXlOg