1 2
akamcfly
akamcfly HalfDork
5/29/13 10:33 a.m.

...from a $16000 91 Rolls Royce?

Saw it on auto trader and it intrigues the mind. Not because it's motorsports-y (AT ALL) but because I'd be the only kid on my block with one.

don't say I didn't warn you

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
5/29/13 10:38 a.m.

Any decent shop around you that could do a ppi? I've always liked that era Rolls and Bentley.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
5/29/13 10:43 a.m.

I wouldn't run. I'd drive away. In it.

moerdogg
moerdogg New Reader
5/29/13 10:44 a.m.

"Traded in on a new Kia"

Whoever says the recession didn't hit the upper classes didn't talk to that guy

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
5/29/13 10:48 a.m.

I'd love to have one of those to drive the kids to school in.

Brokeback
Brokeback New Reader
5/29/13 10:49 a.m.
Rolls ad said: THIS CAR WAS TRADED IN ON A NEW KIA

Realllllly. Interesting change of pace!

edit: dang moerdogg beat me to it

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
5/29/13 10:55 a.m.

I've seen lots of them in that price range and lower even in good shape. They're horrifically expensive to repair, even if you do the work yourself. They're over built underengineered madman's cars made for incredibly rich people that give no thought to repair costs or down time. They will get horrible gas mileage, drive like a tank on underinflated airbags, and will strand you at least once. But you'll feel like a king, look like an out of date billionaire and enjoy every minute of the limited time that it's operational. In other words, you should do it.

akamcfly
akamcfly HalfDork
5/29/13 11:01 a.m.

Just dreaming is all...

I'm sure some other bug will bite me before too long.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
5/29/13 11:04 a.m.

That roof lining is going to cause all sorts of havoc and it needs ~3-4K in upgrades to make it look more modern and presentable so that's a pass.

Interestingly I would say that the Kia is more then likely a more comfortable and has more luxury features then this rolls could ever hope for.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
5/29/13 11:07 a.m.

My daydream mobile was a '91 Bentley Turbo R for $10,500. I still think about that one, but will never own it

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
5/29/13 11:37 a.m.
dculberson wrote: They're over built underengineered madman's cars made for incredibly rich people that give no thought to repair costs or down time.

Truer words have never been spoken. I'm not much with a wrench, but even I can see that. We're working on a '69 Rolls now, though for a purpose no Rolls Royce was ever intended for...LeMons racing. I'm used to practicing my mechanical skills on a '91 Honda Civic, so imagine my surprise as I was trying to even figure out what I was looking at. It had a sticky throttle, so I crawled under to have a look. Fine, I understand that the cars were designed as right hand drive, but the way they converted the throttle linkage for left hand drive is mindblowing. I suspect the engineers were a few pints to the wind when they engineered this fine piece.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UberDork
5/29/13 11:37 a.m.
akamcfly wrote: ...from a $16000 91 Rolls Royce? Saw it on auto trader and it intrigues the mind. Not because it's motorsports-y (AT ALL) but because I'd be the only kid on my block with one. don't say I didn't warn you

Say, that's a rather spiffy-looking automobile! Sixteen large is a bit over my toy budget, but if it fits yours, you should buy it!

failboat
failboat SuperDork
5/29/13 11:57 a.m.

at first i thought the ad read "Nigeria's trusted name in quality pre-owned vehicles since 1999!"

In which case I would advise you to give them all your bank account information, credit cards, and online account passwords.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/29/13 12:07 p.m.

yes, that roof is awful. However, perhaps you could cut the hole bigger for the back window and re-trim that? Seems cheaper than a whole roof job.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/29/13 12:08 p.m.
moerdogg wrote: "Traded in on a new Kia" Whoever says the recession didn't hit the upper classes didn't talk to that guy

More likely he's the type who would have had his car listed alongside the BMWs and Mercs on a bank's repo sales sheet if he didn't act fast.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/29/13 12:37 p.m.

Go look at parts cost.

I want one though.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
5/29/13 1:09 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Go look at parts cost. I want one though.

For sme stupid reason I priced parts for Rolls years ago. It sent shivers up my spine. Prices of normal things like bearings were rediculous. Forget about a crankshaft. You'd come out way ahead by throwing BB chevy in that thing.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
5/29/13 1:29 p.m.

Big dollar showoff cars like that tend to have a sequence to their lives- Generally the first owner can actually afford them, and will maintain them if his secretary schedules the appointments. 3 years down the road, the next magic unit shows up on the dealer lot, so it is traded in at about 30% of its original value...just low enough a poseur can but it, but can't afford any maintainance at all. They then pass through a spiral of neglect until somebody on an enthusiast message board says, "How expensive could it be? I'm gonna look at it."

akamcfly
akamcfly HalfDork
5/29/13 1:42 p.m.

Being a 91 and likely partially berkeleyed anyway, it maaaaaay be a fun car to make run. You know, engine swaps and universal or street rod parts to replace the weird stuff. They have GM automatics in them...

Twin turbo LS maybe? Rewire it for simplicity? normal suspension of some kind?

He says knowing NOTHING about them other than it would be a cheaper buy-in than most 60s muscle cars in the same shape.

I'd leave the roof alone if it's not rotten...

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/29/13 2:03 p.m.

The engine and drive train on these usually isn't the problem, it's the little things around them.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
5/29/13 2:10 p.m.

These are easily the most terrible cars I have ever driven. If the parts costs don't scare you away the driving experience should. The way they wallow down a road will induce nausea quickly.

When folks say they are over engineered they are right, but it isn't in a way that would make any difference. Using 28 bolts on the bellhousing when 6 would do or ridiculously oversized U joints on the halfshafts really has no impact on how well or how long they drive. It just makes them a lot more expensive.

We had a late 99 Silver spur on the lot that had less than 12K miles on it yet needed over thirty thousand in repairs.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UberDork
5/29/13 3:06 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote: We had a late 99 Silver spur on the lot that had less than 12K miles on it yet needed over thirty thousand in repairs.

EEEEEEEEEK!

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
5/29/13 3:12 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote: When folks say they are over engineered they are right, but it isn't in a way that would make any difference. Using 28 bolts on the bellhousing when 6 would do

Yup. That's almost exactly the phrase our team guru Sonic and I use when working on the beast.... But it should be mentioned that the bolts may or may not be some size you've ever seen before and may or may not be readily worked with common tools.

peter
peter HalfDork
5/29/13 3:32 p.m.

And I ran

I ran so far away

I just ran

I ran all night and day

I couldn't get away

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
5/29/13 4:20 p.m.

If the stock motor ever blows, I believe that has a 4L80E or a TH400, a stock, smooth BBC or LSx will drop right in if you fab a pair of mounts for it. Hell, you could get a BOP TH400 and put a Cadillac 500 in it. Or just buy a 60s Cadillac sedan of some sort, that would be a lot easier, cheaper, and probably a better car.

That much money will get you a LOT of peak American luxury iron if you don't mind avoiding the iconic stuff maybe even a driver grade 59 Cadillac.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
v64INsVy7X2pgOYDxckfibQuji6QlkQJdZ7G0SOrJQVwwTvRZQfjMJ1XDdiSJtw6