Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher Emeritus
10/2/24 12:42 p.m.

Earlier today, I drove a new Z Nismo from upstate New York back to its home port in northern New Jersey. I hated it. It was cramped. It rode harshly, and the controls were hard to see and operate. Sure, it was very quick and handled well, but I could never live with a car like that.

When we started …

Read the rest of the story

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
10/2/24 1:01 p.m.

Oddly I've never been one that found rough riding cars acceptable simply because they're  more trackable; even when I was a broke teenager. I think this comes from my motorcycle background; making them handle better included improving their performance on bumpy pavement.

As for the rest; I think experience (age) tends to put things into perspective as far as what matters to you.

Up until somewhat recently I've always floated the idea of going to the RunOffs but lack of budget to do it properly sopped me. I now have that budget but a statement by a two time winner made me rethink that. 

He said "It's cool and a personal accomplishment, but I'd rather have the $100,000.00 back"

As a teenager I wanted to prove myself as a racer; nearly 40 years later I know that I am a damn good driver and don't need to prove anything. I've also turned into a pretty good instructor.

I realized it's the shared experience of being on track with friends that matters to me. I still have that same passion but it's much more focused on what makes me happy rather than the outright results.

DavyZ
DavyZ Reader
10/2/24 4:52 p.m.

My first "performance" car was a Datsun 510 with a "Mulholland Phase III" suspension kit.  The springs and Koni shocks made the ride extremely rough/harsh, but man, did we have fun in that car!  The Recaro seat did help a bit too, although they are not known for being cushi by an means.  As I grew older, the idea of having your cake and eating it too became more important. I like cars which handle very well, but are reasonably quiet and not bone-jarringly stiff when driving over pavement.  Yes, I need an R35 GTR or C6/C7 Corvette.

Jettaman
Jettaman New Reader
10/2/24 6:25 p.m.

Yes, you have to try ice racing. It's a lot of fun even in the street class.

AhBNormal
AhBNormal Reader
10/2/24 7:03 p.m.

Thank you for telling it like it is! My 1980's were full of work and play was time in junkyards trying to scrape together the pieces to keep cars going. In mud up to my elbows or sun burnt, but triumphantly dragging the prize home!

Time will always modify our values. Fastest? Heck, I was happy I started! Getting home was always a story, I don't recall saving anything for the "getting home". I think I expended everything just getting TO the track. 

Ahh, Good Times! Here's to making more great memories!

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
10/3/24 7:18 a.m.

Just a few years ago I realized I wasn't having fun with cars that much anymore. My daily was/is a 2006 Mustang, which I love. But I had gone from simple, little sports cars to a E36 M3 track car. It was miserable to work on. And anything newer was expensive to buy, fix and too complicated for me to enjoy wrenching on.

After buying a very simple motorcycle to rebuild, I found my happy place again. Modernity and complexity may be faster, but it wasn't increasing the fun factor. And while I used to love little two seat roadsters, an afternoon driving a Miata told me I no longer enjoyed that low, bouncy life. Now I'm playing with poor handling, somewhat slow classic American cars. They are a blast to work on, and the parts are cheap and plentiful. There's pretty much no part of the car I can't fix myself, and I don't need a code reader or laptop to do any of it. I'm having more fun than I've had in years. 

I've also pretty much given up track days/racing too. Expensive, time consuming, and the cars are waaaay faster than I want to go anymore. I now get my speed 'thrills' just riding vintage and retro motorcycles...at 60 mph. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/3/24 8:35 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

I am with you on the complicated part. My favorite era is mid 90's japan. Clean, simple for me, and not really that complicated. I know them well and I am in my comfort zone. I'm still enjoying my track time and being around the hobby but just as much I am enjoying introducing the hobby to my nephew who I just took to his first track day and my GF's son who I am teaching to drive. Seeing the joy from them is so great and I've found my happy place. 

My only difference is I still love my bouncy life. My 2 compacts are the best thing in the world to me. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/3/24 9:35 a.m.
ddavidv said:

I've also pretty much given up track days/racing too. Expensive, time consuming, and the cars are waaaay faster than I want to go anymore. 

This. I knew when I got my '23 BRZ, it wouldn't be seeing the track. Like you said, it's waaaay more expensive even at my little regional track Hallett. Even though it's a hardtop, I wouldn't feel comfortable without the bare minimum 4 pt roll bar, 6 pt harness, fixed back seats.......which I'm not doing to this car.....yada yada yada.

There just aren't a lot of great roads in the 405 area code. Hopefully we will be able to move at some point. 

theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer Reader
10/3/24 10:59 a.m.
ddavidv said:

Just a few years ago I realized I wasn't having fun with cars that much anymore. My daily was/is a 2006 Mustang, which I love. But I had gone from simple, little sports cars to a E36 M3 track car. It was miserable to work on. And anything newer was expensive to buy, fix and too complicated for me to enjoy wrenching on.

I've also pretty much given up track days/racing too. Expensive, time consuming, and the cars are waaaay faster than I want to go anymore. I now get my speed 'thrills' just riding vintage and retro motorcycles...at 60 mph. 

Yah, modern cars are a PITA if anything goes wrong. Too many computers. I kinda dislike having an old car too with part availability issues and general old car issues of tracking down seals and cracked hoses. Maybe if I get bored of track days I'll finally get around to a kit car and have the joy of all new parts with old car simplicity. A type 65 looks fun...

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
10/3/24 2:13 p.m.

The reasons listed above is why I bought the Foxbody Mustang.

It seems to be the best of both worlds; basic fuel injection, electronic ignition and huge parts availability but simple enough that a cave man such as myself can work on it.

j_tso
j_tso Dork
10/3/24 3:44 p.m.

Has Tim tried the regular Z? It won't fix the crampedness or controls, but another GRM review of it said the suspension was a little soft.

When it was reviewed on Japanese youtube channel Car Prime, Keichi Tsuchiya said its softness made it great for driving in the city. I guess his views have changed as well.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/3/24 7:31 p.m.

This is all why my fun car is a mostly stock '81 Mazda, aside from plush coilovers (probably the world's last B6 Bilsteins for this chassis and 225 front/150 rear springs) It doesn't check any of the metrics that we cared about as pre-drivers fawning over the specs in the latest issue of R&T or C&D, but it's pleasant to live with and stone simple.

I mean, I do keep spare belts and stuff in the car, and I was wise enough the last time I bought spark plugs to buy TWO sets, to keep one set as a spare set in the glove box... and yes, the answer to that question is "but with a modern car do you NEED that?"  Of course not.  

But it's also nice to have a car that doesn't need adjustable suspension because it weighs 2400lb and has 70 series tires, which is also why it doesn't need power steering, which helps it not need stability control because the steering geometry was designed for communicative feel and not to deaden the tramlining you get with 10" wide rubber band tires.

Small confession.  I deliberately did something stupid today.  I was at maybe 8/10ths on an interchange after work, feeling the slip angles from all four 175-width thirteen inchers... and then I not only lifted throttle, but applied the brakes a bit.  What happened was the car yawed a lot, but so smoothly and controllably that it was confidence inspiring.  I'm able to feel the chassis, make the car do what I want, not reliant on elecrowizardry to cover various sins and not find out how much my bacon was being saved until its too far gone to collect.

Granted I do HAVE a car that does all that amazingly, but it doesn't really feel satisfying, or confidence inspiring past about 6-7/10ths.  That level is FAR higher of course, but that last bit is just too daunting to reach for.

Also the Mazda rides better smiley

AhBNormal
AhBNormal Reader
10/4/24 7:04 a.m.

My truth says, screw resale value. Remember, if you can't afford to set it on fire and walk away then you're on a very different path.

There are many good bodies out there, pick one and make it drive. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lVMthNKnrESCMwzKyI2Oo6dV0s4PLSILRhO8FyS3AkTE4XH6ba7cC7QlGxb7YUSE