1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Reader
8/30/10 8:35 a.m.

Last year, we bought a 2010 Mazda 3s 2.5 6-speed for my wife to use as a commuter. We like the responsive engine and the crisp handling. Two things however, jump out as things that could be improved:

1) The car is noisy. Granted this is coming from someone just out of an Audi A6, and not much is going to compare favorably, but there just seems to be a lot of road noise. Any good way to mute it at least a bit without ripping the car apart?

2) Gas mileage isn't bad (in the low 30's) but it just seems that there is the potential for a great deal more. The engine is a torque monster, and it will easily stand being put in 6th at 40 mph and accelerate briskly up a hill with nary a complaint. It seems to me that Mazda would have made 6th a fairly tall overdrive, but apparently this isn't the case. Any suggestions for improving fuel economy? Piggyback fuel computer? Different 6th gear ratio? Not likely to rip apart the transmission before the warranty is up, just looking for thoughts/ideas.

Thanks!

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
8/30/10 8:41 a.m.

Sounds like you can solve both with different tires.

Going to a narrower tire will decrease rolling resistance, which will improve your fuel economy at the cost of grip.

Going to a less noisy tire (read the ratings on tirerack) will create less noise for you to have to filter out.

Now, both of those being said, complaining about low 30s fuel economy in a car that will pull uphill in 6th gear is pretty ridiculous to me. I think my biggest suggestion is appreciate what you have, lol.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Reader
8/30/10 8:48 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Sounds like you can solve both with different tires. Going to a narrower tire will decrease rolling resistance, which will improve your fuel economy at the cost of grip. Going to a less noisy tire (read the ratings on tirerack) will create less noise for you to have to filter out. Now, both of those being said, complaining about low 30s fuel economy in a car that will pull uphill in 6th gear is pretty ridiculous to me. I think my biggest suggestion is appreciate what you have, lol.

Good points!

I had actually considered the tires. The OEM Yokohamas review fairly well on tire rack and don't get dinged for noise. Even so, I will cut no corners on tires when I replace these. They've already got 20k on them, so it won't be too much longer.

We do appreciate the car. Not faulting it particularly, just trying to adapt it more to the commuter role. I was a little surprised at how close 5th and 6th gear are.

For that matter, I could put on tires with a greater circumference. That would be like putting in a taller gear!

failboat
failboat New Reader
8/30/10 9:25 a.m.

just food for thought. my little hyundai accent will pull up hills ok in 5th but it struggles. there are some situations (up or down hill) where I find i can actually pull better mileage in 4th gear than 5th given the speed I am traveling, keeping the car in its powerband and not making it work so hard to accellerate or hold a certain speed.

a higher gear doesnt always mean higher fuel efficiency.

digdug18
digdug18 HalfDork
8/30/10 10:22 a.m.

Yeah, I'm having trouble feeling sorry for you, you are getting 30mpg, and are having noise issues from a compact car? Huh, did you expect it to as quiet as a lexus?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Reader
8/30/10 10:27 a.m.
failboat wrote: just food for thought. my little hyundai accent will pull up hills ok in 5th but it struggles. there are some situations (up or down hill) where I find i can actually pull better mileage in 4th gear than 5th given the speed I am traveling, keeping the car in its powerband and not making it work so hard to accellerate or hold a certain speed. a higher gear doesnt always mean higher fuel efficiency.

True enough, but this car really never seems to struggle. And at around 60 mph on the highway, it's taching around 3000 RPM in top gear. Granted, 'tis no V6, but I would think it would drink less gas running 500 or so fewer revs at that speed. It seems like Mazda intentionally made 6th relatively low to keep the engine in its powerband at highway speeds. And that's fine. I guess that's what we get for buying the "sport" model.

mndsm
mndsm Dork
8/30/10 10:28 a.m.

I read this and went... none of this makes it better, only slower. But then again, I gave up on gas mileage many many moons ago.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Reader
8/30/10 3:04 p.m.
mndsm wrote: I read this and went... none of this makes it better, only slower. But then again, I gave up on gas mileage many many moons ago.

Okay. I retract the word "better". In it's stead, I should like to use "quieter and more fuel efficient."

JtspellS
JtspellS Reader
8/30/10 3:17 p.m.

This...

integraguy
integraguy Dork
8/30/10 3:23 p.m.

Now you know where the "Zoom Zoom" part comes into play.

"We can make it quick or we can make it fuel efficient, which one helps the "Z-Z" factor?"

On a serious note, short of a Prius....who makes/can someone recommend a 4 cylinder car that isn't noisy at speed? I'd prefer a vehicle where a manual trans. is available.

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
8/30/10 11:47 p.m.

Quieter.. i would go with different tires and/or add some sound insulation. It may take some work but i can assure you it will take less work than all the work it took to make the 3 as good as it is in other ways. I'd rather start with a 3 and fix things like that then start with something that's quiet but underpowered and uninvolving and doesnt get good mileage and try to fix THAT..

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
8/31/10 8:16 a.m.
integraguy wrote: Now you know where the "Zoom Zoom" part comes into play. "We can make it quick or we can make it fuel efficient, which one helps the "Z-Z" factor?" On a serious note, short of a Prius....who makes/can someone recommend a 4 cylinder car that isn't noisy at speed? I'd prefer a vehicle where a manual trans. is available.

VW TDI. Tall gearing, torquey, and a fantastic highway car. My (lowly) Golf is infinitely better/quieter on the highway than the 2003 protege.

mndsm
mndsm Dork
8/31/10 9:05 a.m.
JtspellS wrote: This...

That won't fit off the EM the way the engine is in that car. Hell, the lowly k04 that came with it stock (or at least the Mazdaspeed 3) BARELY fits.

That being said, I'd go with a taller wheel, and a thinner tire. The less you have on the ground, the less noise it's gonna make. Higher wear tread compound will likely help the efficiency part too, as the tire is less likely to "mash down" and create rolling resistance. Won't do crap for handling, but should work pretty well for economy/quiet.

Or do what I did and stuff the widest star specs you can under it. Only lost about 2mpg and gained some tread noise, but damn it's fun.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZaOmJoJDOCtLFMk2LS4wOKi8E1dNb5D9MgbRLiVQTfLS2WY72KKszgqA0lmNnsm7