1 2 3
alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
7/25/11 2:55 p.m.

The ultimate run your car series, but rather stringent safety rules (very required)- scta-bni.org.

I wrote an article about our experience, hoping it will show up in GRM, but the gist- if you have the money to spend, you can go land speed racing.

If you are a engine power geek, or an aero drag geek- it's the ultimate challenge.

Love spending time on the Salt Flats.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
7/25/11 3:19 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I would make F1 an engineers wet dream. Unlimited everything except safety, displacement cap and engines must last two races.

I'd substitute a maximum amount of fuel for the displacement cap, just to see if somebody tries bringing in a 12 liter monster.

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/26/11 12:35 p.m.

Changes in particular to F1:

1. Allow refueling, however limit it to gravity based systems.
  2. Limit fuel capacity to something very small (need to know consumption figures before I can give a number for this)
  3. Allow free reign on technology. Movable aero pieces? Sure. Traction control? Why not. Launch control? Yep. Advanced engine air/fuel mapping changes on the fly? Yes.
  4. Allow testing.

That should make the cars faster, and the technology more applicable to modern road cars. With a small fuel load, the cars are going to have to find ways to go fast and still be efficient. We've seen the rise of diesel in LeMans, what would F1's response be?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
7/26/11 1:05 p.m.

Oh and more scantily clad Umbrella Girls. NASCAR is like a sausagefest.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
7/26/11 1:44 p.m.

NASCAR - I would mandate there be more rednecks with mullets driving, crewing, and crew chiefing. The lack of mullets is depressing.

And for all racing series a like - if any driver of the male gender is caught wearing ridiculously huge or girly style sunglasses, they will be given the choice of: A) Terry Tate - Office Linebacker yacking them out of nowhere B) A roundhouse kick from Chuck Norris C) An arm bar by a member of the Gracie family or D) The people's elbow from the Rock as their punishment. I'd say make them spend a weekend with the Jonas Brothers or Mylee Cyrus but those assclowns would probably enjoy it way to much. Example from this past weekend: Ryan Dalziel - from the Grand-Am race...

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero HalfDork
7/26/11 5:03 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Oh and more scantily clad Umbrella Girls. NASCAR is like a sausagefest.

Didn't they just release one of the three Ms. Sprint Cup girls for "racy" (read: bikini) photos

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
7/26/11 6:42 p.m.

A lot of interesting ideas, but....many have been tried before and not really worked out. First, the unlimited rules...while you would get insanely fast cars, the budgets to get there would be huge. If you think people wouldn't cheat the budgets if you put one on, think again. So, with that said, I would make one with an engine size rule, say 5 liters, spec the wheel base and overall width, and ban all ground effects. Let them have as much hp and mechanical grip they can achieve and set them off. I don't care if they go 280mph or so the straight as long as you have to brake heavily for the corners and slide through them.

Nascar was boring wiht a capital B when they had real cars. If you remember them from back then, it wasn't all that. It was pretty much like a 24hr race from a few years back when most of the cars broke and what were left were laps apart. Instead, I would make them run a fairly stock looking body that had to conform to an actual car. Make it tube frame still to keep costs down and make it still function and set up somewhat easily. (think late '70's and early '80's here) Nascar has been tube frame for longer than people realize due to the bodies early on in the tube frame era. I'd leave engines open, but they have to be stock block based. If you want to run a push rod, so be it, but you have to actually have a production version and use the same block. Same for over head cams. We ran an overhead cam Toyota in Nascar, but they had a lot of trouble teching it, so new tech inspectors would be a must in the revised Nascar world.

For production racing classes, I would ban all tube frame cars from the GT ranks. If you can't run with a 911 or M3, stay home. I don't car how much your car looks like an RX8 or Camaro, it didn't roll of an assembly line and it's not as compromised with chassis setup. Make the effort or go home.

This is for any top level series, Indycar in particular, get rid of spec anything. No spec chassis, no spec engine, no spec tires, no spec, no spec, no spec. Create a set of rules and let anyone that wants to build a car show up.

And F1, no green crap. Racing isn't green so quit trying. If you want to run electric cars, create a new series and have at it.

I'm sick of having to go green everywhere...I mean oil is an eviornmental substance. It comes out of the earth unlike nuclear energy or electricity. What could be more natural!? Until they can create a race car that runs on water, leave them alone!

OK, I feel better now!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
J54SI31dAqhr3w7AtPDX8D5sWwNpdf63zqGjkEN9muMm8yY9sCRRbH5Ko00NdETD