1 2
SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/10/12 6:24 p.m.

I am probably going to sell the Alfa after completing its interior restoration this winter, as it is just too impractical to make it HPDE legal. It makes 1.6 Miatas look fast by comparison, and at 6'3", would need the world's ugliest roll bar to be legal. I expect to get north of $5k upon sale, and will be looking at a new vehicle specifically for HPDE and summer driving - the catch being that I must have some sort of removable top, as I'm that guy that is still driving the Alfa around with the top down in 45* weather...I just love the feeling.

My baseline is that it can be no slower than a Miata - thought about another X1/9, but as awesome as they are, I don't want to be "that guy" holding up Vettes and 993s on Road America. I would like to find something that I can grow into as I start moving into faster groups, too. Budget is around $7k, could probably swing $10k for the right car, but that's a lot to invest in something I could wad up in a heartbeat.

Thoughts so far: Miata - "the answer," although I find NAs very uncomfortable, resale values are ridiculous IMO, and they are not that quick

MR2 (1st or 2nd gen) - cheap buy in, good aftermarket, build potential, lots seem to be hoopties now though

Supra turbo (3rd gen) - fast, good aftermarket, but heavy, high theft risk, lots are just beat, kind of douchey community

300ZX (2nd gen) - quick, but heavy and complicated

Z3 - fit me very well, and I love BMW, but expensive buy-in and subframe issues are scary

C4 Vette - probably on par with MR2 turbo for bang/buck ratio, weird problems though, maybe too much car for me, kind of pretentious for a 23-year-old to roll in...

Del Sol Si - cheap buy in, virtually all have been messed with though, extraordinary theft risk, FWD

So far I am mainly thinking about a 20v swapped or S/C 1st gen MR2, or a 2nd gen turbo. There are some sweet deals on C4s too, though they are a bit intimidating. Am I forgetting anything? 911 targas are coming down in price (but the pre-993 style is hideous IMO) as are Boxsters (which have scary engine issues) but I could probably shell out a bit extra for the right car.

I feel like I'm forgetting something, though...

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/12 6:51 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: I feel like I'm forgetting something, though...

F-Body! All of the t-top or targa top goodness you can handle with equal-to-C4 performance. 93-97 are LT1 V8's, the 98-02's are the LS1. Both have an SLA front suspension and a torque arm rear. Plus they were designed for tall 20-somethings in mind...

Javelin
10/10/12 6:53 p.m.

SlickDizzy
10/10/12 6:55 p.m.

They briefly crossed my mind - my father used to have one. I found the interior and seating position to be absolutely atrocious. Would consider one for the right price, but generally speaking they are not my thing...

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/10/12 6:55 p.m.

I would have said pre-1994 911 Targas, but I happen to like the older bodystyle better than the 993-on ones.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/10/12 7:07 p.m.

How about a Ferrari 308 GTS?

Or just a Corvette? Since you kind of sound like "that guy" right now. :)

Although I think the 911 Targa is a good suggestion, it still won't be that quick.

The key to not holding up the Porsches and Corvettes is to get your racing license so that you're in the faster run group, not the newbies run group.

Also, its a track day, not a race it is their job to get around you.

SlickDizzy
10/10/12 7:30 p.m.
turboswede wrote: How about a Ferrari 308 GTS? Or just a Corvette? Since you kind of sound like "that guy" right now. :) Although I think the 911 Targa is a good suggestion, it still won't be that quick. The key to not holding up the Porsches and Corvettes is to get your racing license so that you're in the faster run group, not the newbies run group. Also, its a track day, not a race it is their job to get around you.

The 308 GTS is absolutely my first choice!

Unfortunately my budget is around $7k, not $30k...probably should have said that in my first post. Otherwise an NSX-T would be on the shopping list too...I make about $40k a year and maybe a little extra on the side with my various wheeling and dealing, but I'm not making Ferrari money yet.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
10/10/12 7:31 p.m.

/me dons the triple thickness flame suit....

Fox/SN/Fox4 Mustang

BoxheadTim
10/10/12 7:32 p.m.

With that budget I'd lean heavily towards an MR2, as it's also got fairly low cost for consumables. The buy-in on the C4 gives you more bang for the buck, but it'll cost you more in tires, fuel and brakes.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
10/10/12 7:32 p.m.

You mention Z3, what about e30/e36 convertible?

318ti w/ California top option?

Fiero?

240sx s13 convertable but then you will have to do a trans swap since they only came as autos.
If going that far, Infiniti M30 convertable swapped to manual with 300zx bits.

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
10/10/12 7:37 p.m.

I vote MR2

BoxheadTim
10/10/12 7:38 p.m.

e30 or e36 convertible will need a roll bar (or a factory hardtop if running with SCCA according to their PDX/CT rules).

SlickDizzy
10/10/12 7:39 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: You mention Z3, what about e30/e36 convertible? 318ti w/ California top option? Fiero?

The E30/E36 convertible is not a very track-friendly setup...the E30 presents the same problem I have now with the Alfa of needing serious modification to pass the broomstick test. I never liked the E36 convertible and they too have worrisome subframe issues.

I have only ever seen one California roof 318ti with my own eyes, and all I have seen for sale are autos. Not a bad suggestion, though.

SlickDizzy
10/10/12 7:40 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: e30 or e36 convertible will need a roll bar (or a factory hardtop if running with SCCA according to their PDX/CT rules).

That is exactly my problem...made even worse with a 240SX..god forbid the M30...zero aftermarket for a car that was an ugly, heavy, bizarre dog in the first place...

tr8todd
tr8todd Reader
10/10/12 7:41 p.m.

If you can find one, a TR8 or even better a TR7 with a V8 is a great track car. A slightly modified one will hold it's own with just about anything on the track. Most are convertibles, and you won't have to worry about it depreciating unless you wreck it.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
10/10/12 7:41 p.m.

I owned a Miata and a t-topped Gen1 MR2 at the same time.
T-tops do not give the same "top-down" pleasure. Can you say wind buffeting? The air gets trapped in the cabin and does not flow out smoothly.

An e30 325is w/ sunroof? Mine...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160895991157

Viper?

SlickDizzy
10/10/12 7:52 p.m.

I saw that E30 for sale! Unfortunately, a sunroof isn't enough - I already have a Saab 9000 turbo with a big sunroof that is capable of the occasional HPDE if necessary...however I am now looking to buy something specifically for HPDE and summer driving. I know t-tops aren't perfect (I've owned a Subaru Brat, aforementioned F-body, etc) but they are good enough for me. I generally have my music blasting so damn loud that the buffeting doesn't bother me anyways

Viper is also high on the list...but not at $7k.

Javelin
10/12/12 9:07 a.m.

You know you can swap seats in the F-Body? Actually, the factory seats vary wildly. The base/V6 cars are different from the V8's are different from the WS6, etc. Also, the cloth seats (IMO) are a lot more comfortable than the leathers. At least sit in a few before you rule it out, because they sound like the best match for your needs/wants in your price range.

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
10/12/12 9:23 a.m.

A porsche 914 with an engine swap. A stock one won't hit your speed goal, and a factory 914/6 is out of the budget, but I have seen several swaps that hit your budget range. My preference is porsche power, but subie swaps work well and there's a few v8 swaps that pop up now and then.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/12/12 9:45 a.m.

MKIII Supra.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
10/12/12 9:49 a.m.
Ranger50 wrote: /me dons the triple thickness flame suit.... Fox/SN/Fox4 Mustang

I second this suggestion. Those cars are stupid-easy to work on and make fast. And no car in the US has better aftermarket support than a Mustang.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UberDork
10/12/12 9:53 a.m.

280zx-t

Turbo inline-6 goodness. You can play with that engine and get a lot of power. Add flares later and reqork the suspension for more cornering, wtc. Bonus, they are undervalued. Watch out for tin-worm though!

You can get a Fox mustang with t-tops and square headlights... (v8 or turbo 4?) but, do you want to deal with making the chassis work?

I am sure you can come up with any number of engine-swap candidate cars (swap an x1/9!)

I would REALLY consider the C4 vette.

porschenut
porschenut Reader
10/12/12 10:04 a.m.

No disrespect but 914s are a bad idea. The chassis flexes with 120HP and sticky tires, you need a full cage and even then the car will twist and crack. I love them but they just can't handle modern rubber. The MR2 would be a better choice.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Reader
10/12/12 10:06 a.m.

Swapped X 1/9

Dashpot
Dashpot Reader
10/12/12 10:10 a.m.

What's your local track like? I suggest you pick the right tool for for the job. In general

Twisty/Technical = Miata, MR2, etc

High Speed = Mustang, Firebird, Vette, etc

Mixed = BMW or .....

Throwing a Mustang around NHMS is about as much fun as a Miata at Watkins Glen. Both get old.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0XNfb7WTz2hPTd7AbHbXDCAwCGwv8fWoi1kdvvYr9z4SFxv6x4BpYIddAqO0bHPD