1 2
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
10/12/12 11:30 a.m.

For $7K I'de be all over either a stock LT1 6 speed C4 or an early tatty Boxter.

Mustangs are great, but add up the (real) cost of making it handle, stop, turn plus some chassis stiffness and the argument goes away real fast.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/12/12 1:03 p.m.

I'll just leave this here as my recommendation:

fill with turbo-dodge powerplant of choice, add cage + seats, etc. enjoy.

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
10/12/12 1:46 p.m.

Without a huge amount of suspension modifications I cant see a fox mustang being much good for anything but turning tires into clouds of smoke and removing roadsigns and small trees on rainy days. Do you really need a convertible? Id say get a milano or GTv6 otherwise, lots of people use them for track cars and they are fun to drive and pretty durable.

McTinkerson
McTinkerson New Reader
10/12/12 1:54 p.m.

S5 RX-7 'Vert with a Turbo Swap?

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/12/12 8:30 p.m.

NX2000 with T tops? SR20DE goodness.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/12/12 9:46 p.m.

I forgot all about the NX2000. I am really thinking of either a 20v or supercharged 1st gen MR2 right now, though...

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
10/13/12 4:38 a.m.

I loved the MR2 SC that i owned for 4 years. What a great little motor. In 2004, the right parts were getting hard to find like replacement superchargers and especially SC specific half shafts, blocks, alternators and ecu. You can not just add a pulley onto a NA car.

At 6'1", my '88 MR2 was tight behind the wheel and even with tilt wheel, the wheel was too big and stole a lot of legroom. I replaced it with a 13.5" grant from the factory 14.5" and gained a lot of needed. leg room.
The SC was only '88 and '89 w/ about 1,000 brought into the US each year.

If going with an NA, be mindful that in the first two years of '85 and '86 the factory steering wheel was even larger at 15". In addition, for those two years, the parking brake lever was on the drivers side. That may seem like a small thing but that brake handle steels a lot of legroom as well.

'85 & '86 MR2
Giant two spoke wheel and brake.

'87 -'89 MR2
Smaller (but still big) 3 spoke wheel and moved brake.

Given your height, I would search for a '87+.

The epicenter of all things MR2 is www.mr2oc.com You will have to register to enter but it is well worth it.

At 6'1" with a 32 inseam, and a preferred style of an upright seat while racing in the stock seat, I would have never passed a broomstick test.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
10/13/12 9:52 a.m.

There was a 1997 6 speed Corvette with a supercharger, longtubes, etc at Fall Jefferson for $12k. Pretty ratty, but all there and ran and drove. A little out of the budget but would completely ghetto stomp every car listed so far. Save your pennies.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WJKZZIqfgjDckCDwzQifqmyy6xVjM3Tyanp6wi8ndECoxAjEZHCL4BRWxfno57E9