1 2 3 4 5
gamby
gamby SuperDork
7/30/09 6:40 p.m.
ratghia wrote: This is my plan for the car

That will be hot as Fuch.

I agree w/ earlier sentiment, though--keeping the body as-is w/ those wheels and stance would be Fuching nuts.

Both ideas seem equally great--all I know is you found an awesome car and it's killer that you're putting it back on the road after God know how many years of sitting dormant.

Best of luck w/ the project. This is a great thread.

ratghia
ratghia Reader
7/30/09 6:42 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: the passenger side mirror is sweet. no way that's OE, is it?

It is an accessory albert swan neck mirror.

ratghia
ratghia Reader
7/30/09 6:51 p.m.

If when I start doing the chassis I don't have fuch and disc brake money I think Im going to get a set of these.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/30/09 7:05 p.m.

those wheels are bad-ass! man, you're making me want an ACVW! out here in the sticks of SC i keep seeing them sitting around, too. so far i've found four ACVWs and three corvairs. the corvairs always have more brush growing up around them than the dubs.

ratghia
ratghia Reader
7/30/09 7:17 p.m.

As much as I like the torkers they just aren’t on the same level of awesomeness as the fuchs.

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean New Reader
7/30/09 7:37 p.m.

OMG!!! They will make ANYTHING hot!

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
7/30/09 7:50 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: lose the eyebrows/roof rack and I'd rock that as a vintage racer.

+11!!!1!1!11

And I'm not a VW guy, let alone air cooled, by any stretch.

ratghia
ratghia Reader
7/30/09 8:01 p.m.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
7/30/09 8:07 p.m.
ratghia wrote:

[B.A. Barackus] whatchu lookin at SUCKA? I pitydafoo put a hand print on my dub [/B.A. Barackus]

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/30/09 8:56 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: FYI: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/cto/1296863621.html

Do you one better - http://atlanta.craigslist.org/cto/1294299799.html

ratghia
ratghia Reader
7/30/09 9:08 p.m.

That second is pretty cool. It looks like an early 80's style cal-look car. It has one-piece windows, shaved chrome, no bumpers, and the metallic blue paint.

ratghia
ratghia Reader
8/3/09 10:24 a.m.

Yesterday I took the steering wheel out of the car to get it ready for paint. The paint on the spokes and hub was starting to flake of. I striped the paint then sanded down the hub to get it nice and smooth before I primed it. I also used plastx to buff the rim of the wheel. The wheel has some slight cracking and some wear on it but is in great condition.

ratghia
ratghia Reader
8/22/09 2:39 p.m.

Last weekend I pulled my 912 engine out of the shed to get ready to take it apart and see what was useable in it. When I opened it I found that even though it was a 1967 engine the crank was counterweighted. I am going to use the crank, rods, oil cooler, distributor, oil filter, and some small parts that will give my engine a performance look. I will be able to sell the case for enough that I will make money on the engine and have a few hundred dollars worth of useable parts.

The 912 crank has a 74mm stroke where as the stock would be 65mm. To use the 912 crank I have to use 912 rods but the stock piston uses a different sized pin. The only piston that is the correct bore that also has the same pin diameter in the correct location to limit the cylinder spacing is a 1.6 miata piston proving miata is the answer to everything. I am going to have an 1413cc engine and hope to make 50-60 hp with it. I plan on running in the 36hp challenge with the car when it is done.

In this picture you can see my crank, an early nos mallory dual point, a set of nos Thompson Automotive aluminum high lift rockers, a nos empi inch pincher cam gear, and a special made 6mm stud high flow oil pump for early engines.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
8/22/09 3:27 p.m.

Great to see the updates coming...

nocarbud
nocarbud New Reader
8/22/09 6:45 p.m.

I love it! Jealous as hell, but I love it!

Josh
Josh HalfDork
8/22/09 7:06 p.m.

Part of the reason those Fuchs look good on everything is that they look just like the wheels on old Hot Wheels. And who among us didn't want to grow up and own real versions of all our hot wheels cars :D.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Reader
8/22/09 7:09 p.m.

It's your car do what you want...but why the heck would you mess up one of 27 known by dropping it and ugly wheels....Not a huge bug fan but i'd leave it 100% stock.

ratghia
ratghia Reader
8/22/09 8:07 p.m.
44Dwarf wrote: It's your car do what you want...but why the heck would you mess up one of 27 known by dropping it and ugly wheels....Not a huge bug fan but i'd leave it 100% stock. 44

I know what you mean but I like the look of a car that has been lowered. I am going to use a different beam to narrow and weld in adjusters so that I can keep the original beam with the car in an unaltered state. I don't plan on doing any modifications to the car that cant be returned to stock in a weekend. I have a lot of respect for people that have 100% stock cars but that look just isn't for me right now.

ratghia
ratghia Reader
8/22/09 8:15 p.m.

I forgot to say in original update that I ordered the birth certificate for the car from Volkswagen. This will tell me the date the car was made, date it was shipped, where it was originally sold, any options it had, what color it was, and what interior it had in it.

I also was able to confirm that it wasn't the 27th but is the 19th known zwitter standard. When I did the original sort I included every car with a model number ending in (a) but that would also include the convertible (15 a).

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Reader
8/23/09 6:23 a.m.

Reversible mod's = good

Make sure you have it 100% stock when you have it insured

ratghia
ratghia Reader
9/19/09 8:25 p.m.

I haven’t been working on the car a lot in the past few weeks. I have been trying to figure out what needs to go and what I can save metal wise and how to fix everything. I have also gotten more of a plan of what look I want to go for with the car. I also decided on what cloth to use for and interior and the coloration of it.

Today I picked up one of the most important parts for putting the car back to original and un-doing updates from the late 50’s. Does anybody want to guess what it was that I bought? (part of them is located in the picture)

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/19/09 9:05 p.m.
ratghia wrote: Today I picked up one of the most important parts for putting the car back to original and un-doing updates from the late 50’s. Does anybody want to guess what it was that I bought? (part of them is located in the picture)

Cables for the mechanical brakes?

ratghia
ratghia Reader
9/19/09 9:15 p.m.

I bought a complete set of front brakes from the spindle out for a mechanical brake car along with a good cable and 1 broken cable. The brakes came off of a beam from a 1951 standard that been removed in the late 70’s and stored in a guys garage. There is some slight pitting on the backing plates but for a almost non-existent part they are in great shape. The best part is that they were only $60. I already have one side working everything just needs to be painted and the shoes need re-lined. Tomorrow I want to put one side on the car to do a test fit.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
9/19/09 9:19 p.m.

I need pics of the beastie

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean New Reader
9/20/09 8:39 a.m.

I know I dont have to say this, but JACK STANDS under the beam and chock the rear wheels front and rear Please!! Good luck!!!

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wvYAlCMTeSaWOrcpiYxFJpQiAV2T4phqJCPQPdPQbiyCPWhcbjZhnIIo898qLM8R