Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/19/13 8:11 p.m.

I've just got to show off.

I've been trolling my favorite shopping places for a while using key words like Mill, Milling, Bridgeport and machine. I've got one of the HF Mini Mills but, while it's a pretty good machine, it's too small for some of the projects I want to do. Today I scored. While I would love to have a Bridgeport, this will just have to do.

It's a fairly lightly used Jet JDM-18 for well under 1/2 Challenge money. 2hp, 240V, single phase, R8. 798 pounds of metal shredding might. It came with a stand the guy built out of 4" channel and 1/4 plate. No tooling, but everything I already have will work with it. Now I just need to get the lathe finished, get this set up, and I'll be ready to build just about anything.

The guy I bought it from is in the middle of a frame off restoration of a 1966 Bronco in a two car garage in a HOA neighborhood. That's got to be tough. Cool guy though.

I'll get some better pictures once I get it set up and cleaned up.

I am a Happy Camper!!

LopRacer
LopRacer HalfDork
6/19/13 8:23 p.m.

Nice acquisition. I have played ever so briefly with a lathe and mill it was great fun. I have no space for such a tool, but certainly wouldn't mind having one to play with.

motomoron
motomoron Dork
6/19/13 10:18 p.m.
  • Add a set of inexpensive digital readouts - I went DRO 10 years ago and will never go back.

• Clean the machine thoroughly, use real way oil on the ways - Mobil Vactra #2 is good and a gallon is a long-term investment.

• Adjust the gibs carefully.

• Get a 6" Kurt Angle-lock vise (Asian copy)

Here's a couple sources for bargain machine tool supplies:

Shars

CDCO

Enco

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/19/13 10:59 p.m.

I has an Envy...

Toyman01
6/20/13 11:12 a.m.

In reply to motomoron:

I have been using Enco for years. Thanks for the other two.

I am looking forward to getting it set up.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
6/20/13 11:49 a.m.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
6/20/13 11:50 a.m.

Also, are grizzly machine tools any good?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
6/20/13 1:22 p.m.

Kudos

I've been looking for a lathe and a mill for some time.

Toyman01
6/20/13 3:40 p.m.

In reply to 4cylndrfury:

I won't swear to it, but they are probably made by the same people as Jet. They look awful similar up close and spec out almost identical. Probably both made in Taiwan or China.

Edit. Well, a little more digging shows that most Jet tools are made in Taiwan, most Grizzly tools are made in China.

moerdogg
moerdogg New Reader
6/20/13 4:03 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Also, are grizzly machine tools any good?

My boss loves his Grizzly table saw. I've used it and it is pretty sweet. He took some time to set it up perfectly, but that's pretty true of any tool you buy, regardless of price point.

erohslc
erohslc HalfDork
6/20/13 4:57 p.m.

Nice! Those machines are capable of precision results with a bit of care.
Just have to watch the feed rate, ie a job takes longer than with a production class machine.

Toyman01
6/20/13 5:14 p.m.

I'm not doing any production with it. Just playing around.

I would like to build one of these.

About 5hp @ 600rpm on 125psi of steam. The 4" bore is a little more than my HF Mini Mill can handle.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
6/20/13 6:33 p.m.

I have a grizzly 9972z 11x26 that handles pretty decent steel jobs with good speed and holds as tight as I need for bearing seats and press fit aluminum bushings and so on. I am looking for a mill around that size and they have one that looks exactly like that. I would consider grizzly based on how helpful they were with getting my lathe sorted. I bought it used from some guy who never cleaned it ... with some things that needed repair and adjustment. There was no warranty or anything so they were just being helpful.

Toyman01
6/20/13 8:41 p.m.

The Grizzly stuff I've seen looks pretty good. The 6" three jaw chuck on my South Bend came from them. I've been happy with it. Hopefully the Jet won't need any phone calls. It's nasty, but it is tight. I'm sure aligning it will be fun.

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
6/20/13 8:53 p.m.

no you just gotta do a home brew cnc setup on that thing..

Toyman01
6/20/13 9:00 p.m.

In reply to novaderrik:

I've done a little digging on those. I'm not sure I'm computer literate enough to get it working. That and the few times I've played with 3D computer drawing, it drove me batty. I really don't like learning new computer programs.

Toyman01
6/21/13 5:11 p.m.

It's out of the trailer and on the stand. That was a PITA. The stand wouldn't roll over the legs on my engine lift. I ended up pulling all the castors off the engine stand and setting it on the floor. It's up there, it didn't get dropped and no one got hurt. It's a big bastard, that's for sure.

That's the eldest son standing next to it. He's almost 6' tall.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Reader
6/23/13 4:16 a.m.

Oooh, I like!

I've been wanting one of those for ages.

Does it take R8 collets or do you use the drill chuck for the end mills?

Toyman01 wrote: It's out of the trailer and on the stand. That was a PITA. The stand wouldn't roll over the legs on my engine lift. I ended up pulling all the castors off the engine stand and setting it on the floor. It's up there, it didn't get dropped and no one got hurt. It's a big bastard, that's for sure. That's the eldest son standing next to it. He's almost 6' tall.
Toyman01
6/23/13 6:37 a.m.

It takes R8 collets, the same as the mini mill I have so I can use all the tooling I already have. The only thing I need to get is a larger vice and a clamp kit.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/23/13 6:55 a.m.

What powers the beastie, 110, 220?

Dan

Toyman01
6/23/13 7:03 a.m.

It's 220. Once I figure out where it's going I'll have to do some wiring. I've got to get the lathe finished first. Link.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/13 7:18 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote:

Hey! I stole that same banner!

Toyman01
6/23/13 7:37 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

Woody, your shop is disgustingly clean.

The banner Curmudgeon stole from somewhere, I acquired it from him.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/13 8:10 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to Woody: Woody, your shop is disgustingly clean.

This is where the work happens:

photo TiresandMotorMounts011_zps4bd551e0.jpg

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K2C6XRZxUcxz7FsxPAGiDjIj9AU9mytEZQozH5BeFW9PTBodvMcH0ZECCmpZXIRh