justthatguy
justthatguy New Reader
3/10/20 12:09 a.m.

As the title says, I've had an 84 for about 6 years now. I drove it daily for 3 of them, even in the 2 worst snowstorms we'd had in 30 years. Aside from random new production parts failures and a lot of tire blowouts, it never broke down and it never left me stranded. It had almost 200k on it when I bought it, and I think I put about 100k on it. I loved(and still do) that car and always wanted to run it in some HPDEs but life happened and the car really started to suffer from 300k of hard driving. Lots of little plastic bits started to break and the interior started to rip. Combine that with a failing clutch and the most prodigious oil consumption I have ever seen on a running car, and it got parked.

Fast forward to present, and I looked at it the other day whilst I was searching for parts for one of my Mopars and it has held up okay for sitting in a treerow for half a decade. The rust hasn't taken it over just yet, and though I'll have to do some patches on it I think it'll spiff. 

Question is, what do I do with it? I could pursue the quite fruitless endeavor of restoring it to new, or I can make it the car I always thought it was. In attempting to preserve the character of the car I've come to this point but I'm not sure where to go from here: a new powerplant/boost the old one, modify the suspension and fix that atrocious rear camber, and find a source for brakes, or, just get it physically sound and enjoy it as I remember it.

I would like to keep it a straight 6 as I feel that's in the spirit of the car. Not so much into boost as I love the joyous noise of a N/A screaming 6. What should I get? BMW, Toyota, etc? Haven't looked into the mk2 Supra since at least 2015 so any ideas would be appreciated. Any one of you fine fellas have experience with these?

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
3/10/20 12:13 a.m.

ITBs. 

That is all. 

justthatguy
justthatguy New Reader
3/10/20 12:39 a.m.

I did some preliminary research a few years ago and I think I even bought another intake to cut the flange off to fabricate some itbs or mounts for DCOEs(which makes more sense to me having tuned odd carb setups). It has crossed my mind more than once.

justthatguy
justthatguy New Reader
3/10/20 1:12 a.m.

You know, I'd thought about an s54 but I wouldn't even know where to begin.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
3/10/20 4:47 a.m.

Why  not try to make the rest of the car solid and then worry about changing the engine and possibly trans out?  Rust, interior work, general maintenance, etc.  A general plan might start to form after you spend some time on the project doing the ground work.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
3/10/20 9:07 a.m.

Definitely a car worth preserving in some manner. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
3/10/20 9:17 a.m.

I've always thought a 5L Ford would be perfect in one. I mean, they were originally designed to be a Japanese Mustang, give it the HP it deserves.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
3/10/20 9:25 a.m.

How rusty is it?  I would be interested if you wanted to part with it.

Otherwise, my suggestion is a newer Toyota engine- either a V8 or a 6 of some type.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
3/10/20 10:07 a.m.

You should figure out if the chassis is savable first; powerwash it, get it on stands, and take a good long look underneath for rust.

If it's clear and you want to do something with it, there are kits for the 1UZ-FE V8 family which is a DOHC toyota mill making 250-300 whp. You could also stick with the 7M-GE or go into the J-series; the 7M has mostly been figured out and tend to be extremely cheap, thanks to the 1J/2J. I think there are ITB kits for them using the throttles from the Toyota Blacktop 4A-GEs.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/10/20 10:08 a.m.

Staying inline six is a path I approve of, very much.

May I suggest Mercedes m104. 9k rpm of glorious n/a I6-ness

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
3/10/20 10:28 a.m.

If keeping NA inline six, there's always the N52 in just about every 3, 5, x3, and x5 BMW between 2006-2010/11. I believe it was the last NA inline six from BMW, as well.

If you get one from a 330/530 between 06 and 07, you get the three-stage DISA manifold, giving you around 260hp and a 7k redline.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
3/10/20 11:19 a.m.

Fix any of the rust (provided it's minor)  and respary the car if need be.

Rebuild the engine; clean up the ports in the head install some mild performance cams and a nice exhaust.

For the suspension add some beefier sway bars, Koni/Tokico or other decent dampers and some decent performance tires.  

The interior is the tricky bit; reupholstering the interior is pretty straight forward. It's obviously the plastic parts that is the tough part. Some of them may be salvaged and others may require hunting down over several months. You could have some things 3D printed but that might get pricey. Things like the dash can simple be covered.  If you don't care about keeping the interior 100% stock than you can clean it up fairly easily.

To me it sounds like you want to keep the standard car but just want it to be a little bit nicer. I worked at a Toyota dealership when these were new and they're a nice car with comfy seats. I'd happily drive one today.

rodknock
rodknock Reader
3/10/20 11:35 a.m.

I would keep it in the Toyota family. The 7M would be the easy button. Also I believe that the 2JZ will bolt up to your transmission with the right bellhousing. 

_
_ Dork
3/10/20 11:40 a.m.

I owned a ra64 a few years back. I did a 1uzfe swap on it. It's super cheap once you sell off everything from the donor. 
that said, if I had a ma65, I would 6mge it with itbs. Either that or 1jz with itbs. Either way, itbs on a straight six gets all the chicks. 

don't even think about rallycross. Unless you're very good at fab work. The camber and toe curves on the IRS are terrible and need corrected. 

justthatguy
justthatguy New Reader
3/10/20 3:27 p.m.

I remember reading someone was trying to fab up an intake with I think bmw itbs on a 7mge. There was no other info but he's got a YouTube video of it doing a pull and it's absolutely wicked sounding 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/10/20 3:38 p.m.

1uz + itb's and custom headers

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
3/10/20 3:43 p.m.
yupididit said:

1uz + itb's and custom headers

THIS!  great setup on the cheap and a few upgrades away from 350whp.  Keep it low buck and bring it back to fun, fast driver status.  Love these things and they have aged amazingly well.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XKmHLFZfOruqKKppSgPlEVUncpV3yL5oQpiIWY9mcqghEaff120MTTW0EHmPcXs5