1 ... 4 5 6 7 8
tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
11/14/14 8:55 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: I think you need a rematch. Ill let you use the duster to uphold the mopar torch. Tunas truck is still probably lighter though.

The big issue with the clutch was the broken leaf spring, otherwise it would have been even worse. It's certainly lighter right now!

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
11/14/14 8:58 a.m.

I think the Town and Country with it's up-coming 4 barrel carb might be a better match for Tuna's truck.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
11/14/14 9:01 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: I think the Town and Country with it's up-coming 4 barrel carb might be a better match for Tuna's truck.

Can-do

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
11/14/14 9:24 a.m.

Fair enough. Can I at least come watch?

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
11/14/14 10:08 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

Bring the el camino

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
11/14/14 11:48 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: In reply to Dusterbd13: Bring the el camino

Yeah, you'll need it to tow tuna's GMC the rest of the 1320 feet.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
11/14/14 12:00 p.m.

OK...I have a used Edelbrock DB4B manifold coming via the Bay of E, and Mopar Rob is sending me one of the trick new Demon 1901 carbs to try out.

I'm excited. I wish I could go ahead and drop a dual exhaust in this puppy now, but I'll have to save up till next year, probably. It's OK, the stock exhaust might last that long. I could just buy some tubing and a couple of turbo mufflers and run side dumps for kicks. When I do it right, I'll probably just get some headers.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
11/14/14 12:10 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse:

You are welcome to the two turbo mufflers in the garage. Very limited use on the tuna truck. I think I used them when I beat up on your super hi po magnum dodge. They have gm germs though.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
11/14/14 12:22 p.m.

Mopar headers suck. Don't go there on a driver. Stay with good manifolds. I spent the good money on tti stuff, and I wish I hadn't.

And the elky can come. Its enough of a mutant that it still won't show favortism.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
11/14/14 1:14 p.m.

Didn't Mopar have those high-perf factory manifolds? What were they called? They go for the same $$ as a decent set of headers, I think.

Tuna: how much to ship those mufflers to 21158? ;-) We're not heading down to SC for Christmas; I'm not sure when we'll be back down there.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
11/14/14 1:21 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse:

It would probably be cheaper for you to sacrifice a night's sleep to drive down and get them while your wife sleeps. It's probably cheaper than that to buy new ones. The offer stands, anyway. You had the stupid things in your hands... you should have taken them then.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
11/14/14 1:30 p.m.

Im primarily a small block guy. I know they had some better and some worse manifolds. Max wedge and six pack stick in my brain. Id ask over on moparts.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/14/14 1:38 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
volvoclearinghouse wrote:
tuna55 wrote: For your application a spreadbore is exactly perfect
GM did build probably the world's seond most perfect carburetor, right after the SU.
If you want a carb, distributor, transmission or engine, GM pretty much always did a decent job. Look elsewhere if you want a shifter or a rear end.

what about the strength that is the GM Corporate 14 bolt.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
11/14/14 1:54 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

I know. I was gonna take them, I knew I'd use them. Argh. Shipping might be $20, I would think. They go for that, each, new, at least.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
11/14/14 1:55 p.m.

You're a goomba. I'll see how much it will cost but they are heavy.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
11/14/14 2:23 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos:

Go to the dragstrip and count. I'll save you the trouble. For fast cars (10 seconds and under), the count looks like this: 40% Ford 9", 40% Dana 60, 10% 12 bolts who were too poor to change their axle out. I think the 14 bolt is too heavy for most uses unless you're building an off roader, but yeah, it is good at that!

MailmAn
MailmAn New Reader
11/15/14 7:31 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: In reply to MrChaos: Go to the dragstrip and count. I'll save you the trouble. For fast cars (10 seconds and under), the count looks like this: 40% Ford 9", 40% Dana 60, 10% 12 bolts who were too poor to change their axle out. I think the 14 bolt is too heavy for most uses unless you're building an off roader, but yeah, it is good at that!

What about the last 10%? Miscellaneous rear-ends? And usually I hear more about the Dana rear-ends being used for off-road purposes than for drag racing for some reason, unless it is fairly flexible in its application?

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
11/15/14 1:29 p.m.

In reply to MailmAn:

Don't get all mathy on Brian. It never was his strong suit.

MrChaos
11/15/14 1:36 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

I was referring to off roading but yea.

Also Ford 9" all the things. The 14 bolt is nice since a stock one can handle 42-44inch tires. they now make a ifs ford 9 inch housing for 930 cv axles.

MrChaos
11/15/14 1:38 p.m.

In reply to MailmAn:

it is because the ford 9 inch is the be all do all and with the removable 3rd member you can carry multiple 3rds with different gearing for different conditions.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
11/21/14 6:47 a.m.

The Edelbrock DP4B manifold and Demon 1901 carb have found themselves to my doorway. I'm hoping I can find time this weekend to screw them on, otherwise it'll probably be around Thanksgiving time off. We decided to stay home for Thanksgiving this year and invite everyone to our house...and everyone decided to shun us. We cancelled plans for a turkey; instead, we're buying lobster tails.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
11/21/14 9:14 a.m.

I've only ever had lobster once and was not impressed. Thats why we're doing turducken this year. Always wanted to try it.

Thin coat rtv on both sides of the intake gasket. The older eddy intake on the rb mopar engines were notorious for vacuum leaks there.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
11/21/14 9:29 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: I've only ever had lobster once and was not impressed.

I'll back ya up just cause I always feel so alone when I make that statement. People are always on me about "How can you not like lobster (or shrimp for that matter)" It's not that I don't like them I just don't find them at all interesting enough to justify the cost, I really don't understand the appeal.

Sorry for the seafood hijack though. Being in MD seafood Thanksgiving is not all that uncommon, in fact my mom is doing a "real" thanksgiving for my nieces this year since their other grandma usually does it and its always seafood. The girls wanted a traditional affair with a Turkey this year.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
11/21/14 9:52 a.m.

Threadjacking encouraged. I like a good digression.

I eat lobstah very infrequently, and I love it. I also love crabs- guess I'm in the right state for that, then. Turkey is a bit over-rated. I think Sunday we're going to head down to the Bawlmer farmer's market and see what looks good. There's usually a guy selling seafood out of an ice chest and it's always been outstanding.

I like to use the copper spray stuff on intake manifolds, had good luck with that. Usually do about 3 coats on each side of the gasket and on the manifold.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
11/21/14 10:14 a.m.

Yep, you are definitely in a good place to get fresh, I used to love to go wander the markets down there. Although seafood isn't really my thing I'm told I make an excellent clam chowder :) My wife is an absolute seafood addict so I get a lot of practice preparing it.

Turkey can be fabulous, but more often than not its poorly prepared. Deep fried is best :)

And a big +1 for the copper spray. I'll have to bring my battle cruiser down there sometime and we can go out and scare the neighbors with a mini wagon invasion.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MylhxOVKLAwDtv5ge7RSxCVCmOStYGXjL5GOx9zJ7p8L81mr2ct1mlEqxX6t2D4H