1 2 3
Jeff
Jeff Dork
7/14/11 6:34 a.m.

I don't have to explain this to you folks, but I'm getting a big power itch. I don't know what triggered it, but I decided I needed a Viper yesterday. That has now broadened into a big, 350+ HP RWD car with a manual that can be had for under $25K

So what should I be considering. Vipers and Vettes, the Caddy CTS-V (four seats make more sense, but are not mandatory), do any of the big Mustangs get into that territory at that price point? Anything from Europe to consider?

Thanks

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
7/14/11 6:37 a.m.

GTO, M5, G8

N Sperlo
N Sperlo HalfDork
7/14/11 6:48 a.m.

Some of the light JDM cars can do that for pretty cheap, but it sounds like you may have other ideas.

Klayfish
Klayfish Reader
7/14/11 6:51 a.m.

Beware the Viper. Not the most fun car to drive and parts are big $$$.

I'd say C5 Vette, or that kind of money will buy a seriously done up GTO (or you could get a stock one that's mint with no miles on it) and still have change left over.

doc_speeder
doc_speeder Reader
7/14/11 6:56 a.m.

4th gen F body? G35 with a turbo/supercharger?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo HalfDork
7/14/11 6:59 a.m.
Klayfish wrote: Beware the Viper. Not the most fun car to drive and parts are big $$$.

Wifey works at the Mopar Depot and there are viper parts under heavy security. Need to turn two keys at once and one key is kept by the queen if whales and the other by the Jeremy Clarkson all for a friggen spark plug.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
7/14/11 7:10 a.m.

C5 Z06 385 or 405 hp

/thread.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/14/11 8:02 a.m.

C5 Z06 or GTO if you need 4 seats.

03-04 Mustang Cobra SVT (Supercharged) might be a dark horse.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
7/14/11 8:18 a.m.

^I love the 03-04 Cobra after numerous ride alongs at track days with my uncle.

What I don't love is the appetite for tires, brakes and gas.

scardeal
scardeal HalfDork
7/14/11 8:42 a.m.

240sx with LS swap/rb26dett swap?
early 350Z with LS swap?
early 350Z with a turbo/supercharger?
Miata with LS swap?
Miata with 302 swap?
FD/FC RX7 with V8 swap?
FD/FC RX7 turbo with bigger turbo?
300zx turbo with bigger turbo?
supercharged/turbocharged e36/e46 m3?
Supra Turbo with a bigger turbo?
Supercharged Mustang...
F-Body
LS1 MGB GT

Or just about anything with an LSx series swapped into it...

pigeon
pigeon Dork
7/14/11 9:00 a.m.

It's "only" 333hp and they're all at the top end but my new to me E46 M3 sure is fun.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
7/14/11 10:02 a.m.

A friend just bought an early CTS-V for under your pricepoint. I don't know the specs, but I'm relatively certain it meets yours (HP and Manual Trans).

[edit: I now see you mentioned it in your opening post.]

He is in love with that car...really happy he bought it.

Clem

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo HalfDork
7/14/11 10:06 a.m.

C5 Corvette. Performance bargain of, well, forever.

rotard
rotard Reader
7/14/11 10:07 a.m.

I know the feeling. I'm looking at C6's, M coupes, and other such silly things.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
7/14/11 10:18 a.m.
Klayfish wrote: Beware the Viper. Not the most fun car to drive and parts are big $$$. I'd say C5 Vette, or that kind of money will buy a seriously done up GTO (or you could get a stock one that's mint with no miles on it) and still have change left over.

Search around - don;t remember who, but one member bought a Viper and loved it an an autocross, said it handed like a big Miata with power.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/14/11 10:18 a.m.
scardeal wrote: FD/FC RX7 with V8 swap? Or just about anything with an LSx series swapped into it...

I sold my LS1-swapped FC RX-7 for $12k last year. It was in near perfect condition (paint, interior, etc) and, with just mild engine upgrades and long tube headers, it made 405 hp at the rear wheels. You can find decent V8 FCs all day long for under $10k.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
7/14/11 10:23 a.m.

03-04 mustang cobra.. 390hp stock, exhaust, pulley, and a chip = 500hp. Minuses are weight and mustang suspension/chassis. (they can work, but it takes effort)

GTO- great street car, but heavy.

There is always a later BMW M3

those are what I could call good street options..

track options..

C5 Zo6- HARD to beat that package for the price, you should be able to find one around $25k (personally, This is the vette I would buy. I think the consumables are cheaper then the C6)

Any number of more trackified mustangs. The best advice there is to buy one already built. You will save a lot of money over building yourself. (suspension upgrade parts alone can be $4k+)

There are literally TONS of options at that price bracket, what are you really looking to get out of the car? What is your age/modification preference? Do you want something new and stock, or older and modified? Street, race, HPDE, autocross?

mtn
mtn SuperDork
7/14/11 10:28 a.m.

I'd guess that the new base Mustang GT's are pretty close to your price point. That 5.0 has been in the cars since 2010? and the new 2012 GT's are starting at $29,310.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
7/14/11 10:30 a.m.

4.6l PI headed Mustang with blower or turbo on 8# make 380rwhp easily on pump gas.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
7/14/11 10:34 a.m.

Does it need to have 350hp stock? The '03/04 Cobras were underrated at 390hp, but any Mustang GT made in the last 30 years can have 350+ hp just as quickly as you can bolt on a supercharger. Of course, you'll want to install a good suspension package along the lines of a Griggs or Maximum Motorsports setup to go with that power, so all told you're looking at probably $7k on top of your purchase, which for a used GT can be anywhere from $2k for a not totally beat to crap foxbody to low $20ks for a fairly clean S197 (of course, with the S197, you won't need to invest near as much into suspension to get it to handle properly).

docwyte
docwyte Reader
7/14/11 10:44 a.m.

944 with an LS1 swap. Mine makes 375rwhp.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
7/14/11 10:55 a.m.

Pontiac Solstice GXP and turn up the boost a bit.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
7/14/11 10:58 a.m.
Javelin wrote: C5 Z06 or GTO if you need 4 seats. 03-04 Mustang Cobra SVT (Supercharged) might be a dark horse.

First thing that popped into my mind was Terminator Cobra. I'm thinking brute force for some reason.

Jeff
Jeff Dork
7/14/11 10:59 a.m.

Thanks for the great suggestions so far.

I'm looking for newer with fewer mods. This will be a nice weather daily driver and HPDE/track day car (about 1-2 a month). If I'm honest with myself, I like a car that needs fewer mods. Yes projects are nice, and I will have those (might even keep the MINI for that), but it's nice to jump in a car, have a comfortable morning drive to the track, and then start driving like you stole it.

There is a CTS-V with just over 100K KM for under $20k near me. I think I need to take a look.

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
7/14/11 11:23 a.m.

The obvious answer here is the GTO. Easily availble under your price point, stock with 400hp, should be able to find one with low miles(and even a warranty if needed), tons of mods, an active forum devoted to the cars, many aussie parts available to personalize appearance/performance, reliable and comfy for four adults. Done.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NCN45neuHUNASZ8blgiaE1TIF42W8lOoLyKegoc7wgVg8CwfkE1QY90ZcZKvkP0p