1 2
slefain
slefain SuperDork
8/7/12 1:01 p.m.

Paint it up like this guy's wagon:

Carro Atrezzi
Carro Atrezzi GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/7/12 4:53 p.m.

ever notice on the A-team how the column shifter appears to stay in park when they're supposed to be barreling down the road? It's either in park or second if it's a 3 on the tree.

This is actually one of the things I learned in college (freshman dorm)

Just sayin...

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
8/7/12 6:11 p.m.

Once I tell you, you'll never be able to not see it.....

Watch for the arms in beige sleeves coming out of the driver's seat in KITT next time you watch Knight Rider.

You're welcome.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/7/12 8:41 p.m.

TSC tractor white enamel. under $50 for a gallon, hardner, and reducer. cheap HVLP gun, spray the whole thing except the roof.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/7/12 10:24 p.m.

You'll laugh, but it worked...

I had a 24' box truck that had leftover adhesive "shadows" from where they peeled off the old logos. I tried all kinds of crap to get it off and spent 3 hours and only got part of one letter off.

I went and bought a gallon of Latex Kilz primer and a roller on a stick. 2 hours later the entire box was painted. 2 years later when I sold it, it was still perfect. I was afraid it would peel off, but pressure washing, branch scratching, nothing even put a chip in it. I didn't scuff the surface first, I didn't even wash it first. I just rolled on some latex paint.

I might do that again on my 99 E250 van. I might get it tinted first to a more inspired color.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/7/12 10:25 p.m.

Here is the finished product, but I hadn't painted the front of the box or that door on the side in this photo.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/8/12 6:44 a.m.

If you are looking for a cheap how to there are plenty of sites which show painting with Rustoleum and a foam roller...

roller painting

I need to try this myself...

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
8/8/12 8:26 a.m.
noddaz wrote: If you are looking for a cheap how to there are plenty of sites which show painting with Rustoleum and a foam roller... roller painting I need to try this myself...

I haven't tried that (haven't painted any car yet, actually) but have seen some spectacular results. The problem is that the amount of time and elbow grease involved is REALLY HIGH if you want it to look good...much more work than spraying.

Thankfully, you don't have to choose between a sprayed multi-stage automotive paint and tip-and-roller rustoleum paint job. There is a middle path - rustoleum that thinned with mineral spirits and sprayed like automotive paint. That's what Dr. Hess did on his locost, and it looks nice He described the technique two years ago in our painting a car at home thread.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous Reader
8/8/12 8:58 a.m.

If you just want to remove the airbrushed lettering and leave the factory paint, you might want to try oven cleaner in an aerosol can. We used to use that on vans that were traded to our dealership with good results. Spray it on. let it sit for a few minutes and spray it off.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/8/12 9:55 a.m.

In reply to hrdlydangerous:

Beat me to it. We would take the lettering and pistriping off our trucks the same way. If the paint is in decent shape some Easy Off should do it. You may have to gie it a quick polish afterwards to get rid of the shadows but it's much easier that repainting.

Southtexassupra
Southtexassupra New Reader
8/8/12 11:40 a.m.
JThw8 wrote: Rustoleum and a roller. You could try to lightly wet sand off the airbrushing and then just buff out the white. Some grafitti remover spray might even take that off without sanding (test on an inconspicuous area) If you have the Lamborghini logo you designed in a vector format I can vinyl cut it for you to put on the sides :)

These ideas should be at the top of your list

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7J4NOlW7uoyc3qzkhsVA0X5mZoGMmZ7J0QxUzpny5fQXGU0c0pJReeeBZWP6durD