aussiesmg
aussiesmg HalfDork
9/30/08 7:38 p.m.

Car dropped a valve during tuning today, will take the head off tomorrow inspect the pistons and update but I may be out....dammit

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Reader
9/30/08 7:55 p.m.

dam

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/30/08 7:56 p.m.

What kind of engine?

If it's AMC 401 or Ford 302 I can help with a new (used) piston/rod and a head, otherwise I'm useless.

Wait...

aussiesmg
aussiesmg HalfDork
9/30/08 8:01 p.m.

SBC

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Reader
9/30/08 8:14 p.m.

location? If near Ma I've got a set of 305 heads. I'll show you how to use a valve refacer and the vobro-centric seat grinder.

I'm on 2nd shift this week 3-11pm

aussiesmg
aussiesmg HalfDork
9/30/08 8:35 p.m.

NW Ohio, I've not given up completely yet.

JThw8
JThw8 Dork
9/30/08 8:59 p.m.

dammit, a challenger just left here on his way to FLA and Ive got heads here I coulda sent along.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
9/30/08 11:57 p.m.

I may be with you.

Damaged shifter cables are preventing the car from shifting at all. Shifter cables for a 323 GTX are almost impossible to find.

I'm going to try a patch with some silicone wrap and fiberglass. Everyone tells me it won't work. I hear that a lot.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/1/08 1:00 a.m.

good luck to you both, I wish I could help out

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
10/1/08 1:18 a.m.

SVRex, if the housing is broken, perhaps you could make a PVC housing? PVC can bend some wicked cool angles when heated gently over an electric stove (don't breath the fumes!). Bend the shape you want, then cut it down the length to make two halves. Duct tape (or whatever) the assembly over the shift cable housing and you have a new housing. Won't be pretty, but will be quick and should last through the challenge...maybe? Just an idear. You could do the same with just about any tube, but PVC is dirt cheap and easy to work with.

Good luck aussies...Fortunately SBC parts are a dime a dozen and all over the place, you may be able to salvage it with some parts off the shelf of your local machine shop's junk pile.

Bryce

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
10/1/08 7:17 a.m.

SVreX, PT Cruiser shift cables are common as dirt in the boneyards and may be an easy adapt to your setup. Keep in mind I have never seen a set of 323 GTX cables in the flesh so I may be talking out of my butt.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/1/08 8:37 a.m.

The Mazdaspeed3 uses shift cables from what I've read. You might be able to find some on a regular Mazda 3 that would do the trick.

rlknick
rlknick New Reader
10/1/08 8:50 a.m.

Aussie,

Any luck with the head/valves? I could probably scrounge a pair of stock 350 heads from my uncle if needed. I'm just down the way in Troy, OH, so its on the way. Also, if you're heading out late and want to convoy to the challenge I think we'll be leaving tonight around 10:00. Drop me a line if I can help. Nine three seven seven two six seven seven five three.

Randall

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Reader
10/1/08 9:59 a.m.

I have my last years challenge mitsubishi that i have not entered because of the economic times available . karl@btropical.com

aussiesmg
aussiesmg HalfDork
10/1/08 9:32 p.m.

So its all over for 2008, 8 years of trying, well here's to 2009, thanks to those who offered help but no time and a holed piston.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/1/08 9:32 p.m.

Karl: You have an email.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/1/08 9:34 p.m.

Aussie:

I've got a short block 4 bolt main 350. I'll bring it to G'ville if you want. Don't think I'm into doing an engine swap in the parking lot, but it is a start for next year.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cPglCGwI7l731ASS8T5zBc2F4gGrnc2jgYGZ7q5Ai3NNed1Dy8PPURR21h2lkAtc